Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: VDJ's Mixer & Native FX

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've used VDJ8 extensively with all in one controllers as well as in HID mode with the Pioneer CDJs/DJM. If I need to use a controller my main concern is the downgrade in the mixer/FX department (from a DJM900 or 2000), so I'd like to make some initital requests from the top of my head that I think will make going to a controller a more desirable experience.

VU metres

- When EQ'ing the mixers level metre doesn't adjust accordingly, even when the level metres are showing "output level". It would be good to see the VU metres post EQ to get a visual indication of whether tracks have an identical level.

- I also think there should be an option to have a standard display on the VU metres of green-yellow-red in the interests of uniformity with the hardware used and the master indicator.

FX

- Post fader FX for echo, reverb and echo droppler, but not post gain (allowing the tail to be reduced or increased as desired).

- 3 Band FX EQ (found on the DJM2000), it's a nice feature to be able to modify which frequencies will be adjusted before applying an effect, loop roll or beatgrid when only the bass is effected, or create echo/delay without the bass (kick) doubling etc.

My prefered implementation method would involve each decks FX section being slave to a separate EQ displayable in skin, controlling this from a controller could be achieved by entering a mode that allows the regular EQs to control the FX EQ, but it would have to be done in such a way that's "fool proof" to avoid the user forgetting the mode is on, some sort of flashing on the device/skin or an option to enter the mode only whilst holding down a certain FX related button.

- Loop role - there is only a length option, I think there should be an "amount" (of application) on knob 1 and length be changed to knob 2, allowing the DJ to smoothly enter and exit the role to the desired 'effect'.

- Add a "ZIP" like effect (found on the DJM2000), it's a single parameter effect which when initiated (turned) gradually reduces the pitch of the track, it's cool for very short application of vocal sections or on an outgoing track. It would be similiar to the "key smooth" function, but it would only go down (for ease of use) plus it would need a greater range to go super deep.

That's it for now, but I'll compare more to see if I'm missing anything.

Posted Thu 28 May 15 @ 8:35 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
VU includes eq and FX, search options eq in headphones.
PFFX... Areyou sure? Your gate before your gain?
3 band FX eq, clone out to an invisible deck.
Loop roll FX early versions did (was like a overloop fx) I think there were conflicts that switched it from buffer to position. Again clone to an invisible or visible deck.
(Hell I've got a plugin that almost does this, invisible deck control)

Zip I'm unsure of (more than 4 semitones doesn't sound so great) but the change in velocity will have to be addressed, which I'd go for.
I'll have a fart about with my plugin (for loop roll) next week and pm you a beta.
How many SW decks do you use?

If only people cottoned on to invisible decks.

Posted Thu 28 May 15 @ 10:06 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Are the echo, delay and reverb FX linked to the tracks CBG or just their BPM value?

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 4:22 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
reverb is just time based, echo is bpm based from at moment activated, delay I couldn't tell you, but more often than not it's time,

I have buttons to 1/2 and *2 the reported bpm to get more out of FX (because amongst other things, loop roll 1.5 beats sounds awesome on a breakbeat)

bpm 50%
bpm 200%

(may thanks to Atomix for sorting the multiplied bpm rounding errors from V7)

Posted Wed 24 Jun 15 @ 3:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)