Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: How do I use master effect (like EQ) if I am using an external mixer?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,

So both my VMS4.1, as well as my more traditional mixer setup basically run a multichannel sound card for each channel on the mixer. There is no sound card master channel, only individual channels. The main out, is just a hardware channel, not an assignable sound card channel.

I would really like to utilize the master effect and use the EQ. It seems right now, that I can only get the master effect channel to apply to a sound card channel that is designated as master out. Given I do not have a "master out", is there any way to just assign the master channel so that it effects all channels 1-4? It would be really nice to be able to utilize the EQ especially when just running two powered top cabs and leaving my amp rack in the van :) I know I can setup the 3 band EQ on each channel as parametric, and maybe achieve what I want there, but I really prefer having my 3 band EQ's on each channel centered at unity for mixing.

Anyway, anyone dealt with this already?

Thank you for your time :)

Brady

Posted Tue 12 May 15 @ 12:27 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Since there is no master, there is nothing for master effects to run on. You could manually activate it on each channel but that will often give you a different result as it would affect each channel individually.

Posted Tue 12 May 15 @ 3:28 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
How about routing the mixers master out back in to V8 as an line in, being careful to avoid a fb loop, applying a master fx to that?

Posted Tue 12 May 15 @ 3:44 am
^^ still wrapping my head around that...ha... I will give that a try tonight, see if that works :-)

Posted Tue 12 May 15 @ 10:47 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
You'll have to use your internal soundcard config'd to be master out,

in theory it should work, in practice I'm not sure.

Posted Tue 12 May 15 @ 11:04 am
I think I understand the idea now, bur My laptop internal sound card will never be used for live sound...lol. I was thinking you meant route it through the vms4.1 line in somehow but I dont see how that would work either without compromising the mixer function to a large degree. I will just keep using an external eq. Wish there was a setting to apply the master fx to all channels, not just a single "master output channel", and therefore limiting its usefulness to only people own a certain kind of all in one midi and no one who uses an external mixer.

Posted Thu 14 May 15 @ 11:10 am
In theory, what you say seems possible. But instead of an EQ imagine a compressor.

What should this "Master" compressor do ? Should it act on all 4 decks all the time ? No, it's not the same as acting on the sum of the decks.
And since in external mixer mode the program has absolutely no clue what level each deck has (your channel volume faders positions) it can't calculate / emulate that either... ;)

Posted Sun 17 May 15 @ 7:09 pm
A compressor would need to know how much signal is coming off each individual channel to do it's job, a EQ does not, so it is not the same thing. With an EQ, signal strength isn't a concern. For example, there is already a 3 band eq for each channel built into the software. If I adjust each 3 channel (software) EQ the same for each mixer channel (via software) it acts exactly like I would want it to, even though the software has no idea how much gain I have given each channel on the external mixer. Infact, I could solve my concern this way, other than it would limit me to 3 channels of EQ, which is really not what I am looking for. It would be great to have instead 15 or 31 channels of EQ to apply to all channels.

Posted Sat 23 May 15 @ 9:34 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Essentially the answer is simply that without a master channel you can't have a master audio plugin.

PhantomDeejay was just trying to explain why most effects wouldnt work just being applied across individual outputs. EQ is one of few that would, yes, but its counter intuitive to offer a master effect without a master output and then have some effects that work and some effects that make things around awful.

There are no plans to change that at this time.

Posted Sun 24 May 15 @ 1:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)