Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: NS7 III Compatibility? - Page: 7

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
So I have been using my NS7iii for a couple months now on a very big laptop. Currently Win 10 aniv 64 bit, i7 2.7ghz, 16 gig ram, NVIDIA 870m (6 gig ram), 3 internal SSDs (OS, Music, other performence content). All latest drivers. Clean install of 10, so nothing left from Win 7, including my old NS7 drivers. Only used for music prep or performance.

I get very solid performance for the most part. BUT I get 1 audio drop when hitting the Sync button. For example if Deck 1 is playing to the crowd and I hit sync on deck 2 to match the BPM, you will hear a quick drop in audio on the track playing in Deck 1 on main speakers. This has happened the entire time I have had this controller. This usually happens on the first song I hit Sync for and I do not get it ever again until I restart VDJ.

I try to do this sequence before my show while setting up. Sometimes I forget. It also happened at a wedding I worked this weekend. Seems Windows Explorer made Win 10 Blue screen on me during dinner music (first time ever). When I got up and running I was using Automix to continue the dinner music. Eventually it came time to get the party started and mix, hit Sync, Audio drops once. Very noticeably, but never again and no idea why. Serato does not do that for me. Nobody has ever really addressed that on the VDJ side as i have mentioned it in the past.

Posted Mon 12 Sep 16 @ 11:08 pm
Well, I've narrowed down the audio chirps/drops on playing deck when switching opposite side decks to when the platters are rotating on the playing deck. If I disable the motor on the playing deck the issue goes away, but golly that's the point of having any NS7 isn't it.

I just don't get it... it seems like a latency issue, but I can turn the buffer to it's lowest setting on the ASIO driver for the NS7III, and then I can put on a 4K video and scratch as fast as I can, and have no apparent latency... even backspinning a platter extremely fast keeps up without issue.

My machine isn't as beefed up as yours, DHoude, at least for the RAM, video card, and the drives... It's a Dell Inspiron 7720, it has 3.4 Ghz quad core i7 (Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (3rd gen i7)), has 8 Gigs of RAM, and a 2 Gig Nvidia 650M, the drives aren't SSD (although there is one 8 GB SSD that acts as a cache), but standard drives have more than enough Mb/sec to be adequate for the data demands of VDJ. My install of Windows 10 and Virtual DJ 8 are clean installs as well. I did remove my NS7 driver to rule out any conflicts with it, but that changed nothing. DHoude, what brand and model of PC do you have??

I'm a bit frustrated here, I waited to purchase the NS7III after it was indicated to be "natively" supported on Virtual DJ, and my machine more than adequately meets the stated requirements for video DJing (see: www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Minimum%20system%20requirements.html ), but I guess I can understand if this controller might need a higher specced machine to work with the native support, but if that is the case it should be stated as part of the native support announcements... to my knowledge and from what I can tell I shouldn't have an issue.

Goodbye NS7III you have to go back to the store now... I simply just can't depend on you with my current configuration which is a real shame. Someday I'll have 4 decks with rotating platters, but not until it can be reliably on a PC I have. :(

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:44 am
VDJ has had problems with spinning platters for a long long time. Never ever seems to have been fully resolved.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 7:28 am
kradcliffe wrote :
VDJ has had problems with spinning platters for a long long time. Never ever seems to have been fully resolved.

Has that really been the case for folks?? I've owned my NS7 for 5 years now, and its been great with Virtual DJ for me.

I may be returning the NS7III, but I'm going right back to my NS7.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 7:37 am
There is a motor wheel instant start option in settings. Maybe that will fix it. The only down side to that setting is you can't grab the record and stop the track right away. It basically ignore the platter for X time.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:28 pm
DHoude wrote :
There is a motor wheel instant start option in settings. Maybe that will fix it. The only down side to that setting is you can't grab the record and stop the track right away. It basically ignore the platter for X time.

I played with that setting...no dice. And even if it worked, to me the NS7III would become worthless then...I might as well be using CDJs with jog wheels at that point... having the responsive vinyl feel is entirely the point of having NS7s to me.

DHoude, what PC brand and model are you running?

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 6:36 pm
ADK 8600 HW. Discontinued now, but ADK is a pro sound and broadcast video company that customises PCs for very low latency. They don't really cater to guys in my position that use the PC for live perfomance, but their tech support and knowledge is second to none. I have learned a ton talking with their main video guy.

Posted Tue 13 Sep 16 @ 10:11 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I don't have an NS7III, but I've been using my NS7II without issues for a long time now.

I've not had any issues with audio dropouts, but I will do some testing with switching decks and see if I can replicate. Won't be until Friday though as the unit is currently at my residency!

If I can replicate then we can look into fixing.

The audio dropout when hitting sync is a new one to me and I've certainly never experienced that issue.

Posted Wed 14 Sep 16 @ 2:39 am
I am pretty sure I can replicate it in a video. It happens most of the time. The key items here are:

Play one deck (maybe after Automix?)
Load a track in the second deck
Press sync and at that instant it will drop if it is going to. For me it only happens that one time if it is going to happen. I will look at my set and see it is an Audio / Video combination too.

Thanks Scott

Posted Wed 14 Sep 16 @ 10:12 pm
Really feeling lucky that I didn't not purchase this controller yesterday and read up on it 1st must be getting wise in my old age!!!

Posted Mon 19 Sep 16 @ 6:26 am
While I don't want Numark to do well in sales. It does work with Early Access builds now. I personally would not trust a single update moving forward. They clearly announced their intentions. Which is a very good reason to avoid this thing.

Using it, workflow is very nice compared to my old NS7. The performance pads seems to make it. The display is handy to when I was able to use them. Going to play my first show with the displays today. Hopefully I just use the laptop to search for requests . I plan to finally keep it way off to the side and out of harms way (back yard BBQ, but it is big and they do dance).

EDIT: I totally forgot you were looking into the drop Scott. I will get a video together today. Sorry for the delay, I was actually working on another issue (not VDJ )

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 12:11 pm
Trying for a bit here to recreate the drop issue with no luck. Using VDJ 8.2 Build 3418.

A general event is Automix for a bit with Telly Media doing it's video magic. Then I usually slide over to the other deck and take automix off. Many times the first track that I hit the sync button for, the track will already be playing in my headphones. But the deck playing for the crowd has the drop while the deck in my headphones is time stretching.

Hope that describes it well.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 2:42 pm
I thought SBDJ had offered to investigate the audio dropping on the deck swapping that I was experiencing...

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 2:59 pm
He did and I was trying to help demonstrate how I have made the same drop happen. Feel free to do the same. I always offer to help demonstrate a problem when a developer is unable to reproduce the issue. The answer is always in the details and video shows the whole picture.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 4:23 pm
DHoude wrote :
He did and I was trying to help demonstrate how I have made the same drop happen. Feel free to do the same. I always offer to help demonstrate a problem when a developer is unable to reproduce the issue. The answer is always in the details and video shows the whole picture.

I guess it seemed like a different problem to me since the triggers were different, but what do I know, perhaps they both have the same root cause!! I'll leave that to SBDJ or other VDJ staff to figure out. Thanks for pitching in with help just the same!!!

Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 5:24 pm
I hate to point out that leaving it all to the team is not the best approach. Problems often do not get solved if they have not been able to reproduce it (as they said) and there is no further data supplied from the end user about the problem.

btw, Last night's set had no drops again. So not sure what to say accept for maybe it is solved for me.

Posted Sun 25 Sep 16 @ 5:26 pm
djfrujPRO InfinityMember since 2013
did the latest update include a fix for the updated ns7II screens because mine now work all of a sudden with vdj? (not that im complaining im super happy)

Posted Tue 27 Sep 16 @ 3:25 pm
Yes

Posted Thu 29 Sep 16 @ 1:47 am
AlexSchPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Guess best way to post in this thread.

Can i update with the Downloads from Numark
Windows Display Driver v1.0.0
and
Display Firmware v1.05 - Win
or does the described problem in this thread still exists?

best regards, Alex

Posted Wed 01 Mar 17 @ 9:02 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
It's safe to update the firmware to the new version. Works fine with VirtualDJ.

Posted Wed 01 Mar 17 @ 5:23 pm
99%