Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: limiter settings

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi everyone , am not sure if its me or the software but there is an issue with the limiter on the ne vdi. it has a habit of knocking the sound off to the point that all you bass bins will be flat. had it running in my club and was disappointed . is there a way i can change the setting ?? thanks

Posted Tue 14 Apr 15 @ 9:45 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Stop over working the system.

Posted Wed 15 Apr 15 @ 11:48 pm
I am not sure its due to over working the system, my high gain are all on the 9 o'clock mark, and my master always sits at the 12 mark but then i get the same problem

Posted Sun 03 May 15 @ 3:46 pm
wasswadaniel wrote :
hi everyone , am not sure if its me or the software but there is an issue with the limiter on the new VDJ. it has a habit of knocking the sound off to the point that all your bass bins will be flat. had it running in my club and was disappointed . is there a way i can change the setting ?? thanks

Posted Sun 03 May 15 @ 3:48 pm
It has been discussed many times.
The limiter (which is a brickwall limiter actually) is there to prevent distortion (it only activates when your sound would distort if it wasn't kicking in)
There's no way to turn it off, nor to change it's settings

However, you can use a bit more headroom on your decks so that you can ensure you won't hit it...

Open VirtualDj config, click on options icon on the left and make sure that "Show advanced options" checkbox is checked on top.
Now type "autogain" on the searchbox and make sure it's set to "Auto", NOT "auto+remember"
Type "zerodb" Use the dropdown to select a headroom level. Set it at -3db for a start so that you can check if you need more or less
Close config
Load NEW tracks on the decks (or unload & reload, do not just load the same track again it won't work) so that the new zerodb setting applies and try again...

Posted Mon 04 May 15 @ 7:18 am
sjf_apuPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Samuel Flores wrote :

I just wish for there to be an option (Button) to turn the Limiter function off. All it does for me is make the gains worthless past 12 o'clock and it's just another thing to watch for while "in the mix"

Posted Fri 13 Nov 15 @ 12:31 am
I was wondering about this. I thought there was limiting. I've notice a bass reduction as well and I came from serato and notice a flatter dull sound from vdj8

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 6:39 am
Maybe the flatter sound is the correct (natural) one, and the Serato ouput has been artificially enchanced to sound "better"....

This is often the case with hi-fi systems. The real high end stuff can sound dull to someone who's used to listening to a typical "enhanced" system.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 6:36 pm
LOL WHAT? I come from broadcasting and I understand how at times a limiter can mud up the sound. I did run across a setting and its fine now.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 9:00 pm
Don't get me wrong, I've posted here many times about the VDJ 8 limiter and the detrimental effect it has when it kicks in. Search the forum and you'll find many posts asking if the limiter can be turned off, or complaining about the effect on the sound. I regularly comment in those threads.

What I don't have is an issue with the sound quality of VDJ compared to other DJ software.

Posted Mon 07 Dec 15 @ 9:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)