Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Only one deck per FX slot assignment

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ChreecePRO (OEM)Member since 2014
I own a DDJ-SZ and recently a DDJ-SX2, for both of them you can assign only one deck per FX slot. That means if i assign FX slot 1 to deck 1 and FX slot 2 to deck 2 and i want to use Deck 3 and 4 with effects, i must first disable the corresponding FX slot from the deck that's already assigned. I thought it was a hardware limitation but it works on Serato.
It would be also useful to use both the FX slots on one deck, so that you have available up to 6 effects at any time!
So why is it limited in VDJ?

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 1:20 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I don't think its limited.
I think it depends on the mapper.

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 1:33 pm
That's more like a wish than a bug.

The units you mention have 2 "FX Sections" each (let's call them that way because effect slots are another thing)
Each "FX Section" can only control the effects of ONE deck at each time, but each deck's effects can be controlled from one "FX Section", or the other, or even both at the same time.

Each "FX Section" provides 2 ways of operation:
Single FX, where the "FX Section" controls only one effect (Effect slot 1) or
Multi FX, where the "FX Section" controls 3 effects (effect slots 1, 2 & 3)
Also, VirtualDj itself can handle more than 20 effect slots per deck. So there's no limitation or "bug" there.

What you ask is a different way of mapping the controller(s) you mention.
However a mapping that would allow a "FX Section" to control the effects of 2 or more decks at the same time would be too complex and would cause confusion to most users.

If you want to control the effects of more than 2 decks at the same time from a single "FX Section" then you can change your mapper to your likings :)

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 1:41 pm
Just FYI:
The main difference between VirtualDj and Serato or Traktor is that in VirtualDj the effect slots are "per-deck" while in the other software they are "global"

Each approach has its pros and its cons.
However with VirtualDj it is possible to use let's say 10 different effects on each deck at the same time...
So technically you could use 40 different effects across 4 decks if you would like to...

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 1:45 pm
By "Fx Slot" i meant as you said the FX Section.
I don't see any cons of using both the 2 sections on one deck as long there is the assign button.
If a user want to assign one fx section on one deck, he presses the corresponding key 1 or 2. If he wants both of them on the same deck then he presses both the buttons.
With the logic "fx section per deck" we only have limitations...
The multi fx and single fx can remain as is, so as i said you can control up to 6 effects at the same time, controlling only one parameter from the effect, or only 1 or 2 effects per time (if you use both the sections on the same deck) but having more controls on every effect...
It's not a big deal if it remains as is, but i don't find any reason why is it per deck and not global. I know there is a lot to do to change it and i'm not asking it but think about it: you play on both decks tracks that you have in your library, you don't need seperate fx for the decks because whatever the effects you use, you need them to apply in both of the decks. If you use only 3 effects then one FX Section is enough for you, if you need more, then the second FX section will come in handy ;)
You can move the post on Requests, there fits better as you said, but you guys, might consider it as "a future maybe to do addon" if you agree with my ideas...

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 2:43 pm
The next problem that i met is that i can't control the effects for the decks 3 and 4 from my controller. I assign i.e. FX 2 on deck 4 but they don't apply. I must select an effect in a slot and then activate it from my laptop... I think it's a good reason to make them globally or change something :P

Posted Thu 19 Mar 15 @ 1:03 pm
i have the same problem with my pioneer ddj-sr..i can only use 3 effects instead of 6 on one deck.
and only use 1 effect and not 2 effects on one deck in mode 2. :(
the mapping should be done more professionally... if i can figure out the complexity i will try to share it.. but it will take a lot of my time for which i would rather be paid for lol :)

Posted Thu 26 Mar 15 @ 4:53 pm
and it is not complicated to use at all it makes more sense!
:)

Posted Thu 26 Mar 15 @ 4:55 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Indeed only 3 effects can be applied on a deck using the native mapping of the DDJ series (and some others).
There could be an alternative mapping approach, but it would require more complex scripts.

However, keep in mind these..
- Native mapping is done having the default skins in mind. And since those dont offer more than 3 Slots per deck, this case was considered rare.
- Several recently added controllers of the market have the Serato approach for the Effects. When we add support to such controllers, we are always trying to offer a mapping as much as closer to the bundled software. And sometimes this is not easy enough.

If you have troubles getting the required scripts/actions, let us know. Also keep in mind that you will need a skin that offers 6 Effect slots per deck too. Not sure if there is one available though.

Posted Thu 26 Mar 15 @ 6:07 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Fri 27 Mar 15 @ 8:40 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)