Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Smoke Machine use crashes the Laptop with VDJ8 Hanging - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I had this problem until I switched from a 3 wire Mains lead laptop adapter to a 2 wire Mains lead laptop adapter. In my case switching the house's florescent lights on and off was enough to terminate the USB sound cards communication with the laptop. The Laptop and sound system were on a different phase of the very underused 3 phase supply to the building so using a different power outlet wasn't the answer. I tried disconnecting the earth to the laptop power supply as a test, however this didn't totally fix the problem and is also dangerous. Another symptom is if you turn the sound system up with no music playing and if there is a lot of background noise which goes away if you unplug the laptop you likely have a 3 pin power adapter problem. The mixer at that location has an earth free transformer and the amp is fed via an isolating transformer so it wasn't a simple earth loop causing the problem. In this case the 2 wire mains adapter removes all earths from the system and seems to have done the trick in this setup.

Posted Fri 20 Mar 15 @ 5:49 pm
People often think of the mains spike as always being on the L-N connections, but you can also get spikes affecting the earth, sometimes lifting the earth can help, but also opens you up to a whole load of other issues, safety ! for one, unless your 100% sure your equipment is double isolated and does not need an earth then you should not remove it . equipment that is safe to use without an earth connection will normally have just a two wire connection.

another note here is that earth lift is not the same as no earth! it just means that the audio earth can be isolated from the ground earth

and of course you may get earth loop noise and interference.......

The smoke machine is a really bad due to the type of pump, which is a very nasty inductive load ,probably causing a spike on the earth path too, and this can be very hard to filter.

most basic smoke machines that have a remote that connects via a 3 pin IEC plug can be modified very easily with the method I mentioned above, the remote will just be a simple switch with a neon ready indicator, normally house in a small plastic box, open up the box and solder a contact suppressor across the switch.

I am amazed that they don't fit one at the factory , but I guess its all down to cost.

Posted Mon 23 Mar 15 @ 8:31 am
Ye,i also think soThe most likely cause is a glitch in the mains supply caused by the smoke machine.

Posted Fri 27 Mar 15 @ 1:16 am
Hi guys, I've had this problem. Ups did not solve it, a suppressor across the smoke machine switch did not solve this either.

I use windows 10, but I believe windows 7 is the same.

Go to settings on the PC, in power options, set to high performance, in advanced power options set "USB selective suspend" to disabled. This will make the PC supply constant power to the USB DJ controller. This worked for me, smoke machine problem solved.

Hope it works for you guys too.

Posted Sun 19 Mar 17 @ 4:45 pm
You use a smoke machine at home?

(Controllerist/Plus licenses are for home use only)

Posted Sun 19 Mar 17 @ 4:56 pm
JuskiPRO SubscriberMember since 2016
have you tried replacing the controller USB cable?

I used to get controller lockups in one hotel I played. I tried all kinds of things - UPS, surge protection you name it but until I changed the USB cable for one with ferrites fitted to it ( they're the lumps you sometimes see on cables) nothing did the trick.

Upgrade the cable & see if it helps. Btw I'm not talking about a massively expensive thing either.

Posted Mon 20 Mar 17 @ 9:30 am
You can also get ferrites that clip over an existing cable.

Posted Mon 20 Mar 17 @ 6:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)