Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best news since MP3 DJing! Finally THE 1 Controller!!! - Page: 5

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
djzero:
I'm not sure but you are not obliged to use the embedded sound card... if it can reassure yourself.
And the only thing that will say if it's ok or not is a real test. So wait a little and we will have feedback on this forum as soon as they will be available.
PS: I'm really not anxious about this :)

Posted Thu 13 Nov 03 @ 10:58 am
"Yes, but in that review they are also using the controller as the primary sound card. sending 2 audio signals down a USB 1.1 to the controller is likley to bottleneck the bandwidth of USB 1.1 and create a lag between the button pressing & VDJ responding. The DAC-2 is only a controller and doesn't need the extra bandwith to send the audio signals."

Considering that USB 1.1 is roughly 12 Mbps and 2.0 is 480 Mbps. And that true ADSL runs at 1.5 Mbps I do not see really how there would be such a dramatic information bottleneck. But then I am just a DJ hobbyist. ;)

Posted Thu 13 Nov 03 @ 12:09 pm
My tests with other USB sound cards such as

gigaport AG (8 channels)
EMI 2|6 (6 channels)
Star Logic (4 channels)

All show that the usb sound cards take about 60% of the usb bandwidth (regardless of how many channels are active). That's plenty left over for a few keystrokes!

I have my main man in the UK getting a hold of one of these NEXT week and will report back on his findings

WirelessDJ

Posted Thu 13 Nov 03 @ 2:12 pm
If you look at the size of a track on a cd (lets say a 3.5 min track), it will probably be 65 megabytes or so. So lets do the math.

65MB/3.5min = 18.57MB/min (data read to play a CD for 1min).
18.57MB/min = 0.31MB/sec
0.31MB = .03875Mbits/sec (8 bits in a Byte, remember)

Now we can compare this to USB 1.1's top bus speed of 12Mbits/sec, and we aren't even close to that when playing normal CD-quality, stereo music. In fact, if you could get a USB port to actually sustain a full 12Mbits/sec data transfer rate, you could technically play over 300 CD's at once through a USB port and still listen to them all in real time.

No bottleneck here.

Posted Fri 14 Nov 03 @ 10:35 am
I have to correct myself here...

0.31MB/sec actually is = to about 2.5Mbits / second.
That means you could send out 4 CD-quality signals through a USB 1.1 port at once (or more if you use less quality).

Posted Fri 14 Nov 03 @ 10:52 am
DjWorkit you are right on...No bottleneck here.

NOW -- that has nothing to do with the USB host controller. I have seen USB controllers that use shared interrupts and conflicts with other system devices and this winds up causing problems.

The question I have to Virtual dj support...

Can you scratch on the Hercules DJ Console?
Is there ANY latency with VDJ with the buttons?

Posted Fri 14 Nov 03 @ 2:04 pm
I've seen that you can't scratch with the version of VDJ that comes with the controller.

I also heard that the Hercules controller has a .12millisecond latency, which I believe you could get used to quickly.

Posted Fri 14 Nov 03 @ 8:00 pm
Compatibility USB
- USB 1.1 (USB Full-Speed) required
- Compatible with USB 2.0 (USB High-Speed)
- Due to the need for a full USB power supply, a dedicated USB root hub is recommended
- 2m USB cable included

Audio
- Microsoft® DirectSound® compatible
- ASIO 2.0 drivers included
- General MIDI™ compatible

says it uses 2.0 there?

Posted Fri 14 Nov 03 @ 8:58 pm
www.djwalkers.co.uk/images/console.jpg

Posted Fri 14 Nov 03 @ 9:36 pm
phew - good thing Hercules labeled the crossfader.... a n00b woulda been stuck....heh...

looks like a cheap piece of junk to me. i'm still just getting used to the whole dj'ing with software concept...much less bringing that thing to a paying dj gig. the dj's i've played with (who are for the most part all still vinyl, tho you see the Pioneer cd-players on more riders these days) would laugh me out of the building. you should see the looks i get just for SUGGESTING that i might use a laptop one of these days (i'm trying to break the idea in slowly...:)

Posted Fri 14 Nov 03 @ 10:40 pm
It says USB 2.0 compatible... I thought of it as an extra point they were trying to make to make a better impression (because of course you can hook up a USB 1 device to a USB 2 port). The wording seems to tell you that its not actually USB 2.0 speed.

Nonetheless, we know USB 1.1 is fast enough.

Posted Sat 15 Nov 03 @ 6:13 am

Posted Sat 15 Nov 03 @ 3:40 pm
wireless! i love your setup! what is that "PCDJ" controller you got there? does that work with this software? that is a rig i would take to a job anyday. that is what i would expect a professional digital dj to bring to work. much respect!

Posted Sat 15 Nov 03 @ 7:25 pm
What do you all think of my computer systems. I have purchased the hercules to make a third. Didn't really need it but I have to spend spend spend all the time.

http://vantinedj.homestead.com/virtual.html

Just looking for opinions. Wish I did buy the Rane that virtual bought.

:)

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 4:01 am
A little bit more on the USB1.1 /USB 2.0 issue. I tried a little bit of an experiment with my JetFlash 2 GB USB 2.0 Memstick, to see first hand how performance would be. I installed VDJ and about a gig and a half of MP3's to the stick and proceeded to run VDJ three plugins with both decks operating with nary a problem. I did this on an inferior machine to my one at home. This one is an 800Mhz PIII, with 384MB RAM, and a Creative AudioPCI. The stick itself is plugged into a USB 1.1 slot.

Plenty of bandwith, no performance issues.

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 3:01 pm
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
DJ Homeboy, before I upgrade from automix to virtual dj, should I just wait for this controller system or should I upgrade before buying the controller?

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 4:32 pm
>what is that "PCDJ" controller you got there?
yes, That is the DAC-2 (usb). Virtual DJ also supports the Numark DMC-1 (serial) controller but only if you have the upgrade chip http://www.gizmolabs.net

>does that work with this software?
Absolutely, that is why I bought VirtualDJ, because it supported the controller!

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 6:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)