Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: AKAI AMX & AFX - Official Support

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Wed 10 Dec 14 @ 7:21 am

Posted Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 3:25 pm
awesome news! thanks!

Posted Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 9:01 pm
I have just purchased an AMX and two AFX controllers. I have been a Traktor S4 user for years but the release of the S8 indicates to me that Native Instruments have no intention of introducing flexible beatgrids so I decided to move to Serato DJ. Unfortunately SDJ doesn't have a prelisten feature which is critical to my workflow. I have read through the Virtual DJ Operations Manuals for these controllers and can't see a way to prelisten to tracks using the browse knob on the AMX.

I see that Virtual DJ has both prelisten and flexible beatgrids so this is my last resort for this hardware. Can someone please let me know if it is possible to do the following:
Map the browse button on the AMX to play the selected track through the headphones when clicked and rotating it left/right scrubs through the track. If it is not possible I will return the hardware for a refund. If it is I will happily pay $299 for VirtualDJ 8 Pro Infinity.

Posted Thu 01 Jan 15 @ 6:29 pm
I have figured it out:
BROWSE
browser_window 'songs' ? prelisten ? prelisten_pos : browser_scroll : browser_scroll
BROWSE_PUSH
var '$shift' ? browser_window 'songs' ? browser_window 'folders' : browser_folder : browser_window 'songs' & prelisten

There is a lot to like about Virtual DJ but the effects sound terrible and the loop engine does not snap to the grid when quantise is enabled. I'll be keeping a close eye on future releases.

Posted Fri 02 Jan 15 @ 9:30 pm
Unlike most other DJ software, you're not restricted to using the included effects.

There are many others available for download here, plus VDJ also supports VST plugins - and there are millions of those.

As for loops not snapping, are you sure the CBG (beat grid) is aligned correctly to the track waveform?

Posted Sat 03 Jan 15 @ 9:58 am
A "Snap to beat" loop mode may be added in a future version. Feel free posting your wish to the Wishes Forum.
For now, only snap to the nearest "length" is possible with the smart_loop action.

Posted Sun 04 Jan 15 @ 10:35 am
Any help? I purchased the AMX controller, great size for traveling. A couple problems (using MacBook Air and MacBook Pro).

Using 4 deck skin, Load 1, is loading to deck 3, Load 2 loads to deck 4.
On a 2-skin deck, I don't get anything loading.
On 4 skin deck, load1 to deck 3 shows up on deck 1 volume, load 2 to deck 4 shows up on vol 4 (layout is 3124).
If I change to 1342 it shows volume on correct meter, but songs still load on decks 3 & 4.

It could be a lot cleaner, though I manage to function, it is just lacking intuitive function.

I have done some simple midi mapping, but for some reason I have failed to be able to change the mappings to correct anything. It needs to be someone with much greater skill.

It would also be nice to have ability to manage all 4 decks, perhaps using one of the Panel or Search or some combination that allows to switch from decks 1&2 to 3&4.

Maybe these are some ideas for future updates. Thanks for at least what is available as I like this unit for traveling as I DJ for specific dance music and do not need excessive functions, just more intuitive. Nice job

Posted Fri 08 May 15 @ 6:47 pm
Open VirtualDJ, goto Config ->CONTROLLERS tab.
Select the AMX and make sure its assigned to Decks 1,2, or Left-Right (from the Deck assignment drop down list on the right side). Probably assigned to later or incorrect decks.
Its a known bug with the current build. Will be fixed soon, so you wont need to do that.

By default the unit should control whatever deck is assigned as Left or Right. So if you use the LEFT/RIGHT buttons from the default 4 decks skin you should be able to control whatever deck is assigned (and as long as the unit is assigned to Left-Right Decks from the COntrollers tab.
If you need to have such buttons on your controller, you need to assign one (e.g. the SEARCH button) as ..
device_side 'left' ? deck 1 leftdeck ? deck 3 leftdeck : deck 1 leftdeck : deck 2 rightdeck ? deck 4 rightdeck : deck 2 rightdeck
Or simply invert_controllers (but maybe this wont work until the bug is fixed)

Posted Fri 08 May 15 @ 7:37 pm
Right i'm and oldskool Dj so bear with me as i've just got this controller and virtual Dj 8 pro subscription as i'm going travelling. How do i cue up my next track? I'm under the impression the Akai controller has no built in soundcard so do i need one to do this. Can not for the life of me work out the pathways for the control mapping (sound wise). Any help appreciated

Posted Thu 22 Oct 15 @ 10:54 am
Which unit do you have ? AMX has a built in soundcard. AFX doesn't.

Posted Thu 22 Oct 15 @ 12:37 pm
can the inputs be used as a aux?

Posted Wed 28 Sep 16 @ 8:33 pm
Yes, whatever input is used as DVS can be used as linein as well

Posted Thu 29 Sep 16 @ 9:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)