Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: short audio freeze when using external Harddisk - OSX Yosemite

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi there,

I'm using (at least trying to...) VDJ8 on a MB Pro Retina with 512 GB SSD, 16GB Ram and now OSX Yosemite.

My actual problem is a short freeze of sound and GUI while loading a new song from an external Harddisk.
This is formatted as HFS+ (due to not working as NTFS...) and connected via USB3.0.

Audio problems and freezing is not an issue when playing from internal SSD.
(Not very) funny also is an audio freeze when a song in the playlist is NOT found (still in Database, but removed from Harddisk), VDJ skips this one and moves to the next one, but for a second or two audio is freezing also.

Is there anything I could do? Another external disk? Different formatting? Some tweaks in VDJ8? (UltraLatency doesn't change anything).
CPU-Workload as shown in VDJ8 is one bar maximum. All other software is shut down.

BTW: For test purpose, I'm using the internal soundcard, in "real-life", I'm using a Hercules RMX. I'm very new to VDJ and MAC also. So I can't exaclty tell, if this is new since Yosemite-Update. Freezing when skipping not-found-tracks definitely is NOT new, this happened under Mavericks, too.

Problems with my external harddisk formatted as NTFS took me several days to discover. It would have been nice, if VDJ showed any kind of error since it could not save data on the external disk.... :-/

Posted Mon 27 Oct 14 @ 8:13 am
Oh boy,

I found it. This is so stupid...

I'm using a Hercules RMX, but when testing Songs/Database, I just use the internal soundcard.
VDJ8 tells me on startup: "No RMX found"... blah...
OK, so I configured output as internal soundcard. Microphone or headphones are left on the (non-present) RMX.
And this is the problem: On automix, VDJ8 loads a new song into the deck and switches headphones to this deck. It seems, that it really tries to talk to the RMX, USB freezes some time, and if the song is loaded from an external USB-Disk, audio freezes, too. When loaded from the internal SSD, it's ok.
So I switched audio setup to 2 channel only - no inputs, no second outputs.
Now everything running fine :-/

It's no real bug (noob-error), but it would have been nice, if VDJ would not try to use a port not existing. On startup, it's clearly detected, that there is no RMX...

A second wish from my list: An option to "clear up" database to remove no longer existing tracks. I'm searching for a song, find it in the database, load it in the playlist and some time later, VDJ skips this song and there is another audio-dropout.

Exept from this, it really suits my needs. Great software, after all.

Posted Tue 28 Oct 14 @ 3:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)