Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Which MAC do I need

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi I am about to jump from WIN7 to a MAC but know nothing about MACS. I will be using the MAC for Video Djing using VDJ 7, can someone please steer me in the to the best MAC to get. Can I move my current 2.5" Serial ATA Hard Drive which has my videos straight onto a MAC?

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 4:52 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If you're doing video on the Mac with v7 then IMHO your only option is to get one with a discrete video card - the GT750M last time I checked.

Posted Sun 20 Jul 14 @ 7:49 pm
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
magic,

If you were just doing audio, then you can buy a Mac which is much more lax on the specs, however the built in video may not be strong enough to handle HD video. (Also keep in mind that HD video does not work properly in V7. You'd need to use V8 for that.)

The Mac that you are looking at is the 15-inch: 2.3GHz with Retina display, which is the only one currently which has a discrete video card. (nVidia).

In regards to moving your files across, the hard drive that you are using _will_ connect to the Mac, however it all depends on the file system of the drive. If the drive is formatted as ExFAT or FAT32, then you are fine. The Mac can read and write that format without an issue. If the drive is formatted as NTFS, then the Mac will not be able to easily read that format. (The thing to do in that case is copy the files to another location, re-format the drive, and then move the files back as you cannot convert an NTFS partition to a lesser format.)

Feel free to message me directly and I will help you through this.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 14 @ 11:28 am
Im using the entry Macbook Pro 15" . Runs Music, Videos & Karaoke fine. Picked up a 1TB Portable hard drive with 7200rpm & Lightning Bolt connection to store all my media. All works fine with no lag.

Posted Thu 31 Jul 14 @ 10:28 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)