Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Wireless Audio - Alto Stealth - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi VDJ community,

This is my review of the Alto Stealth Wireless system.
http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/stealth-wireless

For unit is a valuable tool for the mobile DJ'. It is a great bang for the buck at MAP $399.00 USD.

Gig without Stealth:
- 2x 100 foot xlr cable is approximately $150.00 - $200.00
- Limited placement of DJ table due to proximity of speakers
-Taping down and setup of cable takes time
- Properly wrapping cable and storing takes time
- Can't go through walls or in other rooms requires you to bring laptop to remote areas such as cocktail room.
- Cable gets damaged from wear and tear
- The longer the run the more signal loss due to impedance reduces sound quality
- Possible tripping hazard
- Looks terrible in the photos
- Adds a lot of weight to you cable case

Gig with Stealth
- Place you DJ table anywhere in the room
- No setup or taping cables reducing setup and tear down time
- No cables for guest to trip on
- Easily broadcast to multiple rooms even outside simultaneously
- Signal quality is great even at distance and through walls
- Excellent latency (not noticeable for me)
- Surround fill speakers are not a problem to wire.
- Less ear damaging SPL due to increased distance from the speakers to DJ table
- Better monitoring of system due to better placement (in front of the speakers not behind)
- Connecting to house system is a breeze

Challenge with Stealth
- Sub frequency limitation Frequency Response: 50 Hz ~ 17 kHz / 3dB (bass is there but sub extension drop is noticeable) You might need to wire a sub close to the DJ table if you require a lot of bass
- Additional AC cable to plug-in
- Possible interference with other UHF signals in the area. No scanning available on this unit

In summary the Alto Stealth is a great bang for the buck, sounds great and is a time saver lacking only very low sub extension which not a deal breaker depending on the style or genre of music you specialize in.

So far I have not experienced any radio interference from this unit.

I would recommend this purchase even if you use it for remote audio broadcast to other rooms or outside such as cocktails rooms.

Cheers

Posted Wed 19 Mar 14 @ 3:20 pm
I had this unit for wireless speakers and the it was the worst. I had interference 20 feet away, direct line of sight.

Posted Wed 19 Mar 14 @ 5:30 pm
REally? Where were you located? Busy city? Did all 16 channels fail? How many times did this happen?

Posted Wed 19 Mar 14 @ 6:14 pm
For me the limitation of 50 Hz of the subs isn't the biggest problem (although my speakersystem is capable to go as low as 32 Hz). The 17 kHz is....
This might be a great system for speech but a 50 Hz / 17 kHz-bandwidth is too limited. It will take too much detail out of your music.

Posted Wed 19 Mar 14 @ 6:49 pm
So, there's one outlet in the whole room (this never happens!!!). You have to run power to the speaker anyway. You also need power for the receiver. But wait, there's more. If you order in the next 10 min, we will cut the top and bottom frequencies for you, at no extra charge. Ask the operator, how you can get a little interference, from the microwave in the kitchen, or the wireless printer upstairs. Your choice.

As for the low end, why not go into the sub, and come out into the transmitter?

Posted Thu 20 Mar 14 @ 12:00 am

Posted Thu 20 Mar 14 @ 3:49 am
CMBDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I picked up this system in December. We have used it a few times. Works well unless you are trying to go through too many walls. We usually just use this as an extension, to get audio for announcements outside or in a lobby just outside the room we are setup in. We used the Phonic system, previously. They are about the same, the Stealth is easier to adjust frequencies.

Posted Thu 20 Mar 14 @ 2:24 pm
Well it looks like you jinxed me.

Last night this product miserably failed with interference. I did not have time to manually look for clear frequencies so I broke out he cables.

Not pleased.

Posted Sat 22 Mar 14 @ 4:49 pm
Too funny. At least you had backup.

Posted Sat 22 Mar 14 @ 5:10 pm
Martin FourS wrote :
17 kHz.....is too limited. It will take too much detail out of your music.

You can hear above 17kHz? I'm surprised. Usually anyone over the age of 25 cannot hear frequencies that high any more.

Posted Sat 22 Mar 14 @ 5:50 pm
What I have learned is everywhere I tested this device prior to the failure was in fairly rural areas with not much going on as far as radio frequencies. In the city the Using the stealth is risky.

D

Posted Sun 23 Mar 14 @ 12:28 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I think the benefit is to "extend" sound to places where wire runs are impossible.
I've used mine on football fields, on outside decks and cocktail areas, its been pretty handy.

I own the Phonic system which doesn't have the low end either, but just the same a handy tool.
Cut a surface outlet into the back of 2 of my Yorks and the receiver and PS mount to the back of the speaker, one power cord is all it takes.
If I want I can feed both speakers daisy chained off each other for signal and power.

Never had a problem with range or walls or interference, (although the PD may be hearing my mix due to new laws and they never complain)...

Posted Mon 24 Mar 14 @ 7:09 am
Ya... I take back my good review. Performed another gig downtown and this set was useless due to interference.

Posted Mon 24 Mar 14 @ 7:49 am
Ya... I take back my good review. Performed another gig downtown and this set was useless due to interference.
If someone made a robust system like this with a full range 20~20K specification, digital encryption, available frequency detection I beleive it would sell well in out community.

Posted Mon 24 Mar 14 @ 7:54 am
groovindj wrote :
Martin FourS wrote :
17 kHz.....is too limited. It will take too much detail out of your music.

You can hear above 17kHz? I'm surprised. Usually anyone over the age of 25 cannot hear frequencies that high any more.

I guess I do..... I can definately hear the difference in detail with speakers that stop at 17 (or 18) kHz and the ones that will go up to 20 kHz.

Posted Mon 24 Mar 14 @ 9:21 am

Posted Mon 24 Mar 14 @ 6:02 pm
CMBDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Sonisphere- Sennheiser has a good system, but be prepared to spend around $1500 for a transmitter and 2 receivers.

Posted Mon 24 Mar 14 @ 6:17 pm
Well I'm glad you guys posted because I was looking at getting the Alto stealth. Although, I was considering using it to run signal to side-fill monitors and cocktail monitors outside the halls. Thanks for saving me the frustration.

Posted Mon 24 Mar 14 @ 7:27 pm
you can't beat a good bit of old fashioned copper wire,

nice 'n' thick,

why ?......

it works

it works well

you don't get interference

keep your Q / Damping factor nice and tight, ultra controlled base

good quality cable is not cheap , but will last a lifetime !

keeps the sale of gaffa tape high, which in turn keeps manufacturing going, which in turns keeps people in employment ...LOL

Posted Tue 25 Mar 14 @ 8:11 am
Martin FourS wrote :

I guess I do.....

I can only hear up to 13kHz and I'm 52. That seems to be pretty typical.

You should test yourself. Put on a pair of good headphones and use one of the many tests online.

Posted Tue 25 Mar 14 @ 9:38 am
95%