Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Battery Status

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

Please can we get a battery status indicator somewhere on the default Virtual DJ skins? It would be useful to know how much (if any) battery power is left when playing a gig, especially as the default Virtual DJ usually obscures the system battery indicator.

Thanks.

Posted Fri 12 Jul 13 @ 11:44 pm
Agreed it should be mandatory on all skins

Posted Thu 01 Aug 13 @ 7:25 am
Why would you play live in front of people on battery on purpose?

Battery indicator is useful for those times you forget to plug in and turn on, but choosing to play on battery is asking for trouble.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 09 Aug 13 @ 6:33 am
I completely agree with Roy. My cpu bar jumps around crazy when I'm not plugged in. When I am plugged in my cpu stays steady in the low range. I see no need for a battery status.

Posted Sat 31 Aug 13 @ 1:01 am
danielsr2006 wrote :
I completely agree with Roy. My cpu bar jumps around crazy when I'm not plugged in. When I am plugged in my cpu stays steady in the low range. I see no need for a battery status.

I disagree with both you and Roy.

Roy said:
GadgetMan wrote :
Why would you play live in front of people on battery on purpose?

Well, what if someone need to use a powerpoint for a few minutes? Or even half an hour?

Maybe you're playing for an hour at a multi-DJ event, and don't want the hassle of fumbling around with power cables while someone else is playing.

Maybe a powerpoint has broken.

Whatever the reason, it would be useful to know how much battery power is left so you can:

1. Warn the organiser(s).
2. Prepare to switch over to a backup device before you are cut off.

Giving the DJ more information (rather than less) is a good thing.

Posted Sun 01 Sep 13 @ 11:34 pm
How about ensuring that your battery is fully charged before you leave home (otherwise known as preparation)?

If the battery on your particular laptop doesn't have enough power to last a whole gig, buy a replacement battery that does.

If someone wants to use a socket, offer them one of your free sockets (you do have enough sockets for your kit to always ensure there's at least one free, don't you?). Preparation. Alternatively, point them to another socket in the same room.

You "don't want the hassle of fumbling around" with power? That's your own risk. Anyway, see above. Use a battery that has sufficent power for a typical gig, and make sure it's charged.

Best of all - buy a UPS. That way, if the power goes, the important items stay powered up (e.g. controller doesn't disconnect from laptop).

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 6:37 am
groovindj wrote :
How about ensuring that your battery is fully charged before you leave home (otherwise known as preparation)?

If the battery on your particular laptop doesn't have enough power to last a whole gig, buy a replacement battery that does.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse, or just don't understand situations that differ from your own experiences.

I'm guessing you mostly play gigs where you are the only DJ for the whole night?

I'm happy for you, but not all gigs are like that. Many clubs and bars (especially here in NZ) host events with multi-DJ line-ups. Doing everything you can to minimize the hassle of handing over to the next DJ is a good thing.

How do you prepare for an unexpected fault during a performance when both your audience and other DJ's are focused on you?

groovindj wrote :
If someone wants to use a socket, offer them one of your free sockets (you do have enough sockets for your kit to always ensure there's at least one free, don't you?). Preparation.

You can prepare all you like in advance. It won't mean jack if something unexpected happens during your performance. What if the only available socket becomes overloaded?

groovindj wrote :
Alternatively, point them to another socket in the same room.

That's not always practical. What if they're another DJ who needs to be standing in the same area as you?

groovindj wrote :
You "don't want the hassle of fumbling around" with power? That's your own risk. Anyway, see above. Use a battery that has sufficent power for a typical gig, and make sure it's charged.

I didn't think of that!

Hey, while we're at it, maybe we could add a battery indicator to further reduce the risk. (I would use the indicator on the menu bar, but this is obscured by Virtual DJ.)

groovindj wrote :
Best of all - buy a UPS. That way, if the power goes, the important items stay powered up (e.g. controller doesn't disconnect from laptop).

OK, now I'm convinced you're joking.

Question: What is a UPS and how does it work?
Answer: It's a battery that supplies power in the event of a power failure. In other words, exactly what comes built into every laptop.

Now, are you telling me that if you had to use a UPS, you wouldn't like to see how much power it has left?

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 4:47 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
It is possible to do this right now with a small skin edit if you need it badly.

Some skins have it already.

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 4:57 pm
SBDJ wrote :
It is possible to do this right now with a small skin edit if you need it badly.

Some skins have it already.

Your solution at http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/136696/VirtualDJ_Plugins/SBDJ_Battery_Status.html works well.

But with every new version of Virtual DJ, there comes a new skin with slight modifications. Your solution requires manual configuration for every skin file you want to use, and that's a hassle.

I'd like to see the battery status become the norm for the default skin.

It's such a simple tiny thing that takes up virtually no screen real-estate, and wouldn't even need to be visible if the laptop is running off the mains supply.

Virtual DJ trails the competition by not providing one.

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 5:05 pm
The thing is, if battery status (on the skins) really was that important for the majority of VDJ users, surely it would have been requested and implemented by now.

I guess the reason it hasn't is that most DJs don't run their laptops on battery power at gigs. That'd be why it isn't "the norm for the default skin".

OK if you want to risk your gig by running on battery power, then go ahead. You've been given the info by SBDJ, and you're still putting obstacles in the way.

Requires manual configuration for every skin? That's not a hassle. Come on, how many times per gig do you change skins?

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 6:23 pm
groovindj wrote :
The thing is, if battery status (on the skins) really was that important for the majority of VDJ users, surely it would have been requested and implemented by now.

You must be new here.

Regardless, Serato and Traktor felt it was important enough to include in their software, and they're doing quite well...

groovindj wrote :
OK if you want to risk your gig by running on battery power, then go ahead. You've been given the info by SBDJ, and you're still putting obstacles in the way.

Requires manual configuration for every skin? That's not a hassle. Come on, how many times per gig do you change skins?

Do you have a fuel gauge on your car? Why not just be better prepared and top up every time you set out for a journey? You're running at risk by not doing so. If you really need a fuel gauge, it's easy enough to make one yourself. I can send you instructions.

What's that? It's too much hassle? Come on! How often do you change your car anyway...?

If everyone thought like you did, we'd all still be using CRT TV's (Why do you need LCD TV's when CRT's are good enough?), and starting our cars with crank handles.

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 6:44 pm
Groovin your so full of it, Lol! I guess the sampler isnt important then based off of your explanation....... Id say it was important hence the reason Scott created it in the first place.

@djnanite, dont waste your time with this guy. No matter what you say or do itll never be right according to him.......thats just how he is, NEGITIVE.

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 7:04 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Let's keep it civil everyone please :)

Rest assured we are still taking comments and requests on board and that the development team is 100% aware of this request.

Posted Mon 02 Sep 13 @ 8:36 pm
That doesn't seem like a bad idea I am going to toy with the programming from the link provided. As I have been known to accidently unplug the cord to the power transformer box to my laptop. and Only caught it when the screen popped up telling me I had 25% battery life.

In the mean time if you don't have the ability to punch in the specifications given into the link to a different thread. You can always set your computers presets to give you a warning at a higher battery % life Like I do.

Really no need to be in a pissing war about what VDJ ers would have cried for in the past, or currently. We all have our different styles and needs.

practice and have fun.

Posted Fri 20 Sep 13 @ 5:50 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)