Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: help me get legal PLEASE Content Unlimited ???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

question is about Content Unlimited. REcently we had 7 karaoke KJ's served with a Law Suit for illegal hard drive. I don't have the 130,000 songs ... I have about 17,000 and about 3000 duplicates. it's taken me about 20 years to amass this collection. I want to say I have purchased over 400 disc at least and turned down the illegal hard drives. I want to make sure I'm good on karaoke and feel it is the Chartbuster company (which has been purchased by new owners) that is looking to make more companies Legal. I need help with the music end. I have a large selection that was given to me about 7 years ago but need to make it more on the up and up... Please help. thank you.

PS what is your opinion of the most stable version of Virtual DJ , I think I'm using 6.1 or earlier... didn't like some of the changes. thanks again.

Posted Thu 13 Jun 13 @ 2:10 am
ContentUnlimited is a music 'rental' service. You don't permanently own any of the music that you play using it.

The record labels and artists are paid for any music that you stream via the service using your subscription fee. However, a ContentUnlimited subscription does not give you the right to play the music and/or karaoke in public. The same applies to music purchased on CD's or via iTunes, Amazon, etc. You will need appropriate public performance licenses from the appropriate authorities in your country. If you are playing at a club or bar, then this is often covered by the venue's licenses.

We would suggest purchasing the hit songs that you play the most (E.g: On CD or from iTunes/Amazon, etc.) and then use a subscription music service such as ContentUnlimited to fill in the gaps to be able to play requests for songs that you don't have. This is particularly useful for short lived chart music that you may get requests for and play for a few weeks when it first comes out and then never again.

The same also applies to karaoke. You will find popular songs that singers always want to sing and should purchase these. A subscription to ContentUnlimited karaoke can help fill requests for less popular songs.

You need to permanently delete the illegal music/karaoke that you were given and/or have previously downloaded to avoid prosecution if you are caught with it and/or using it at your gigs.

Another option that might be useful to you is the iTunes Match service, which takes music from your hard disk and replaces it with legal copies. However, this service is for home consumer use and might not be legal for DJ public performance. There is also a limit on the number of songs.

For legal advice, please contact the appropriate licensing authorities in your country (Search on Google.)

For more information about ContentUnlimited, please see the ContentUnlimited section of our FAQ pages: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/FAQ.html

We always advise users to use the latest version of the software. VirtualDJ v7.4 is very stable for the vast majority of users. Old versions of the software may have bugs that have been resolved in latest versions. Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VirtualDJ_History.html for a summary of changes since v6.1 - You can upgrade to the latest v7.4 for free by going to the Download Center: http://www.virtualdj.com/download/updates.html

NOTE: You will also need to be using the latest VirtualDJ v7.4 to be able to use the new karaoke subscription service . If your other KJ's use VirtualDJ then each will need their own license and optional subscription(s) to ContentUnlimited. A single VIrtualDJ license cannot be shared between multiple users (It's for your own use only) and ContentUnlimited subscription can only be logged into and used on one computer at a time.

Posted Thu 13 Jun 13 @ 5:04 am
thank you very much for your open and honest advice. I will look into venues to make this work in a way that will allow me to sleep at night. Music has been so good to me over the years. thanks Michael

Posted Thu 13 Jun 13 @ 10:15 am
jimpetePRO InfinityMember since 2011
I'm very confused here with this statement since this is a DJ program used mostly for the purpose of playing music for others. What purpose does a subscription serve? Sampling for the purpose of buying from iTunes? Please clarify.

The record labels and artists are paid for any music that you stream via the service using your subscription fee. However, a ContentUnlimited subscription does not give you the right to play the music and/or karaoke in public. The same applies to music purchased on CD's or via iTunes, Amazon, etc. You will need appropriate public performance licenses from the appropriate authorities in your country. If you are playing at a club or bar, then this is often covered by the venue's licenses.

Posted Wed 06 May 15 @ 2:39 pm
In the U.S., the venue has to be licensed to play copyrighted music, from ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. If they have these, then the DJ does not have to worry. I have been playing in the tri-state area for 48 years, and have never seen a DJ get in any kind of legal trouble. I have worked at some clubs that were fined or closed because they thought they were immune.

Posted Wed 06 May 15 @ 2:53 pm
I would like some clarification on the Content Unlimited service.

Here's what I run:

Dj work: Bars, clubs, weddings.
Laptop w DJM800 and 2 CDJ400's
License is Infinity Pro

In Canada, if you are playing music for the public you (or the place that contracted you for your service) needs a SOCAN license. This is a 'cover your ass' cost in case you do play music that you haven't paid the artist for.

There are 2 main distinctions that DJs needs to be aware of:

- Playing music with the intention of making money from the public who come to hear a DJ as a form of entertainment;
-Playing music with the intention of no monetary gain from the public, but directly from ownership of the venue you've been contracted at. (Cover charge vs. no cover charge)

Content Unlimited can be played for a public audience, as long as it's rented by the performer, on a professional system intended for use in front of a crowd.

Venues who use free online music streaming services or programs are technically infringing on the terms of use and need to invest in a music player deemed legal for use in public. Then the venue needs to have a service that pays DRM fees to the contributing artists (producers, singers, musicians) of that song. A Socan liscence is still advised as there could be a song or media that you haven't paid dues on - i.e. Cover your ass.

Now some music services (Sirius) have their DRM fees rolled into their music packages so legally you can play Sirius Radio with no Socan liscence - but ONLY the Sirius service. Absolutely nothing else.

If Content Unlimted is not intended to be played for the general public then this needs to be said clearly and on the main page where you buy this service. Otherwise what the hell is the point of offering it to so many professional DJs?

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 8:17 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
You can use it just like you would use songs from CD's you've purchased or from a download pool like promo only.
They are just stating that this service does not include a public performance rights license. So, here in the US, as a DJ I can legally play the tracks at a bar or venue. It is up to the venue to be licensed for public play. The CU subscription is just a legal way to get music to play.

Posted Thu 21 Jan 16 @ 1:42 pm
gentleman, thank you so much for you input . I play in clubs that carry the licence . I also play Private events so I'm just wanted to do it right

Posted Fri 04 Mar 16 @ 4:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)