Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Windows 8 Lag & 7.3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

so i'm not sure how to fix this, this doesn't happen on my windows 7 laptop, so im glad i tested out vdj & Windows 8 on my backup laptop first.

when i move my mouse, pretty much over anything that requires the mouse to change cursors (hand, move, drag, I, whatever all the cursors are called) the whole vdj lags, the track table lags, the scratch colored wave stutters, the beat wave form, pretty much anything moving lol. the audio doesn't lag though, so i guess THATS a plus. it's like its trying to show 2 cursors at once

anyone know of any way to fix this? or has anyone else had any issues like this with Windows 8?

thanks,
cheers

Posted Tue 26 Feb 13 @ 10:05 pm
I would check for new graphics drivers for windows 8 from your graphics card manufacture, as they might have new ones out for 8.

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 2:35 am
Are you running VDJ at the correct resolution (using a skin the same size as your monitor/screen)?

i.e. if your screen is 1280x800 then the skin needs to be 1280x800 too.

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 2:47 am
groovindj wrote :
Are you running VDJ at the correct resolution (using a skin the same size as your monitor/screen)?

i.e. if your screen is 1280x800 then the skin needs to be 1280x800 too.

yeah i already tried this, thought this was the issue also. everything runs smooth until i start moving the mouse over places the cursor changes. for example the track wheel, when its in motion if the cursor is stationary on it, everything continues to move fine, but as soon as i move it the cursor wants to change back and forth from arrow to hand, thus causing the lag.

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 9:38 am
As you say mouse, I assume it's external. Have you tried without it, just using the trackpad on the laptop?

Also try using a different mouse - preferably another brand.

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 9:43 am
groovindj wrote :
As you say mouse, I assume it's external. Have you tried without it, just using the trackpad on the laptop?

Also try using a different mouse - preferably another brand.

i'm actually using the touchpad on the laptop, but i didn't think about trying an external. its worth a shot. its not the mouse i dont think, sorry if i'm sounding confusing, but its the icon, the cursor, when it changes in vdj from a arrow to the hand, its constantly going back and forth when it moves, creating the lag. almost like theyre fighting each other. when the mouse is sitting on the vdj software track tables, there is a hand, but when i slightly move it wants to forcedly show the arrow cursor, i believe this is whats causing the graphics lag

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 10:16 am
Did Windows 8 come preinstalled on this laptop, or did you install it yourself?

I'm wondering if maybe there are two opposing drivers loaded for the trackpad.

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 10:29 am
groovindj wrote :
Did Windows 8 come preinstalled on this laptop, or did you install it yourself?

I'm wondering if maybe there are two opposing drivers loaded for the trackpad.

upgrade from 7 to 8, i just checked in the device manager, i only see one mouse driver. i DID try an external mouse, didn't fix anything. i'm wanting to say this is a software issue somewhere. its the cursor icons within vdj, the black arrow, and the black hand. im dl different video drivers now, going to roll them back, to see if this fixes anything, i don't notice this issue in any other programs, just vdj

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 10:38 am
Try a few different skins too, and see if it happens on every skin.

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 11:26 am
ok, so i rolled back the video drivers (which i didn't think would help anyways) and it didn't fix the issue, i tried an external mouse (which i don't assume is part of the issue either) that didn't fix anything, and uninstalled and reinstalled vdj 7.3.... VDJ loads fast, and everything runs smooth, until i move the mouse over stuff thats moving. the cursor whats to fight itself between the hand and the arrow, i notice when i click and hold, the hand stays and everything moves smooth, like in scratch mode.

i got something going on with the cursor switch in vdj, maybe i can adjust something in the registry? if anyone can help let me know

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 11:30 am
ok, so for anyone else with this issue, its NOT Virtual DJ, this is apparently a bug in Windows 8 and the Intel video drivers. I did try rolling back to older Video drivers to rule this out (Windows 7 drivers) but i couldn't come to the conclusion. I also have no other "games" or programs with any sort of motion installed other than Virtual DJ to compare my issue with. BUT after extensive internet searching via Google, i have found a temporary/permanant solution:

control panel>hardware and sound>mouse

under <pointers> tab
scheme = none
enable pointer shadow = unchecked

under <pointer options> tab
display pointer trails = CHECKED (this is key) and drag the bar all the way to "short"
hide pointer while typing = unchecked

hit apply, ok.

This should fix any issues you may have, its worked for me. hope this info helps others aswell

-cheers

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 9:03 pm
just thought i'd give another update on this issue.

Intel has released new drivers dated 3/5/2013 and I can confirm they work. I have actually taken off the mouse pointer trails and all video and vdj runs smoothly, no jerkiness or video lag.

problem... you can't get this via Windows update, OR through Intel's website (the links run you in circles)...

BUT if you go to device manager, display devices, right click the intel graphics and update driver, let it online search, it will find the drivers and install them.

-cheers

Posted Fri 15 Mar 13 @ 3:37 am
Just like to say thank you to Secret Seven for the post above, this tweak has resolved this very issue for me.

Unfortunately as my laptop comes with "Switchable Graphics" I cannot use Intel HD (slow card) or ATI drivers (fast card) I have to rely on drivers supplied by HP (all one of them), so this has really helped.

Posted Thu 24 Apr 14 @ 5:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)