Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Struggling with Gain settings....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have been using VDJ for years but even today, I still struggle with the gain settings.

I have all of my music scanned and the gain preset. I use the Denon DN-MC6000 controller.

The problem seems to be that if the gain for a track scans at +2.0 and the controller gain is set at unity or zero, I have to move the gain on the controller +2.0 and then I am able to adjust gain upwards or downwards.

My question is this... is there anyway to have the gain on the controller be at +2.0 when at the unity position? Then, I can adjust upwards or downwards from there.

Just seems logical to me.

What do others do when it comes to adjusting gain on the fly?

Thanks!

Scott

Posted Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 8:17 am
Sorry, it's not possible to do this.

By default, you must move the actual real hardware gain knob to the software position as indicated on the skin before you can make any adjustments. This is soft take-over and prevents the sudden jump in gain that would occur otherwise. See http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Soft%20Take-over%20or%20Non-MIDI%20Mixer.html

However, you could change the mapping for the gain knob to the action gain_relative - This will adjust the gain up/down relatively as you move the knob. However, in the mode the position indicator on the real hardware knob will never match that in the software.

Posted Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 9:49 am
Hmm... the gain_relative mapping may just work. So, what you are saying is that, even though it won't match, it will essentially work by raising or lowering gain from it's current position?

Also, is there a way to make the channel eq's on my MC6000 constant and not change when I load a new track? So if I want to boost the highs for every track I play, instead of it resetting per track.

Thanks!

Scott

Posted Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 10:30 am
Yes, gain_relative will increase or decrease the gain by the amount that you move the knob (I.e: Move it clockwise and the on-screen knob will also move from its current position clockwise by the same amount.)

You can disable the EQ Reset on Load in CONFIG -> Options.

Posted Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 11:38 am
Incredible.. thank you!

Posted Thu 14 Jun 12 @ 3:34 pm
I personally love it that the gain button on my Hercules Rmx has to first be twisted to the position where the software is to engage from then on.

I remember a long time ago that this wasn't the case, it would create a "jump" in gain that would destroy people's ears (when you're playing for a large crowd with more than 2k watts this is an issue).

So, thanx again VDJ :)

Posted Sun 17 Jun 12 @ 11:03 pm
Just a quick follow up to the staff at Virtual DJ... I adjusted my gain settings for my weekend weddings and your suggestion worked perfectly.

Thank you again for the quick follow up.

Posted Mon 18 Jun 12 @ 1:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)