Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Multi Genre Chart!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
On the website under community, their is the chart, I think it's a good idea, so we know what the majority of users are playing, problem is, it's not so useful, all the music is mainstream, commercial and highly predictable, for example crazy frog and eminem etc.

What I would like is a multi genre chart, more specifically styles like House, dance and club.., I think it would be possible, because the chart could be read from certain (specified) folders.., so VDJ would check all the files that your playing within a folder named "house" or "hip hop" (or whatever).

We would then have a more useful and interesting chart :).

Wouldn't it be great?, I think so anyway...

Bagpuss.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 1:39 am
awseome idea

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 3:22 am
tipsyHome userMember since 2005
yeah sounds good to me too, but I don't think all the users would like the idea of organizing all the music just for the sake of a chart ...

peace,
tipsy

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 8:51 am
?
no.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 9:10 am
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
When i rip cds i always fill in the genre field, then whatever i play it on recognises that the tune is hip hop, or house or whatever. so it's obviously possible. I think it's a great idea :o)

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 11:44 am
You see, the majority of users will have folders, house, trance, club, hip hop etc.., and that could be where the VDJ site gets it's info from, or it could also scan comments, ID3 tags etc.., the chart formed by such a "search" would be incredibly nice to look over, top 50 house songs of the week, it would become a great source of hunting down the latest and greatest tracks..

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 12:26 pm
yeah, my tracks are organised into seperate folders: hip hop, house, 60s, 70s etc. the problem with this is that people might not have folders organised very well, which could mess things up a bit. I guess a newer release of VDJ could have an option for which folders to monitor...

Or, evan at a long shot, tracks submitted could go through a database of some sort, which could then organise the tracks into genre, by sorting them through different routes into the charts?? but i guess that'd be long and hard tedious work for someone to set it up!

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 3:36 pm
Your right nebula, but remember that only the majority figures would enter the chart, and the majority of users will have their music organised in this basic way.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, but it'd be best kept simple as I tryed to explain.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 4:32 pm
many users have under "house" all commercial stuff from latino house, electro pop, to trance

(i hate to see that too)

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 6:01 pm
I think the vast majority of users will have an accurate House folder, but what is for sure, you'll have alot of commercial titles.., but 50 commercial titles each week is quite alot?, I think their will be some quite interesting trends showing up too.., still, all that can be done, is try it and see..

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 6:48 pm
i think that we all call are folders something different than other users, we dont all name them the same things, for example one of u sed u had a 60's and a 70's folder, i just have an oldies folder, ect... so for thuis to work effectively i think virtual dj would have to give us a number of folders, in the program, name them, and then we sort our music into them,

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 8:02 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I think somebody should make "samples" or description of generes that will help people to sort their songs, because most of users don't know how to recognize styles of music they have. That's why most of them have all songs which have nice beats together in one folder. For example: it is sometimes difficult to sever hip-hop and rap songs, or house is the same. I have 18 folders and all songs sorted in.

Let's help people to organise their music!

Dj Nikki

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 8:19 pm
Ok, few points here.
I agree with most of you lol. Lopez453 is correct by saying that people have different things in folders "many users have under "house" all commercial stuff from latino house, electro pop, to trance", but brennan11 i think has a great point of saying that VDJ could provide folders for tracks, and use some sort of shortcut featrure.

How about having a dropdown list, when you right click on a track with a genre selection, So select all your Snoop Dogg tracks, for example, and select Hip Hop, or Buddy Holly tracks, and select Rock n Roll, this could add a form of ID3 tag (not sure exactly how they work) or it could put shortcuts of the tracks into the special VDJ Genre Folders (which could be where you have your favourites selected). My Favourites are selected Hip Hop etc... so they could simply replace these, but still retain the option of additional favourite folders... just a thought anyway

And Xeon i also agree with, i think a release of some sort of document to explain what sort of music is which genre. This could be aided by meybe a "lookup" feature on this website (type in an artist name and it'll tell u the genre), or by simply describing the music, and any specific trends/traits each genre has.

It'll still be a lot of hard work, but i think it can eventually be done!

I'm up for givin' it a go an helpin out anyhoo

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 12:34 am
I still believe the initial idea would work.., the majority of users will have basic style folders, and the majority will have their files in the right folders.., I think we have complicated things a bit here..

Still, some good ideas coming up.., but the chart now is general, I'd be interested in a House chart, and believe it would look good for the stated reasons...

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 1:56 am
yeah, we have kinda let things run away a little. But if you do a chart for one genre, u wud hafta do one for all. I guess we cud jus c what happens, using the original folders as guides

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 6:38 pm
and one thing more: an interal chart (count how many times the particular song was played) and display it in a browser

Posted Thu 04 Aug 05 @ 10:47 am
Do u mean inside your own personal copy of VDJ? like for example in another field in the database (where name, BPM comment fields are for example)?

Posted Thu 04 Aug 05 @ 9:11 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
i think that's what lopez is asking for Nebula.

I've asked a java developper to do something like that for me, but he didn't get the time to do it.

Posted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 1:10 am
Ah right, i thought as much. It'd be cool, although i dont think i'd use it personally... however I might if the feature was there. I can't tell you to be honest lol

:o)

Posted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 11:27 pm
Yep, jeremie's got me right. I'll try to explain more clearly.

btw. for now I just add some comment into song that it's cool (and unknown)
so I don't forget to play it next time.

Posted Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 7:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)