Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Running two DN-S1200's using VDJ7.0.2 and Mac..Arg!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I went online and through the many forums here and I am trying to pinpoint exactly how you can correctly connect 2 Denon DNS1200 to my Mac, running Virtual DJ Pro- 7.0.2. I used many methods, I have created 2 aggregates, 1 aggregate for one DNS1200 and the other, has both DNS1200's under one aggregate.

I then saw a video on you tube where a guy went into Preset mode and set one DNS to Midi channel 1 and Unit No. set to 1 and the other DNS to both channel 2. FOr me that didn't work, instead I used channel 1 for both CDJ's and All for the Unit No. Set.... is everything good so far?

Well, sometimes when I load VDJ after I started the DNS' everything is fine, sometimes both DNS' work but both work on the same deck, meaning, both DNS' control the same Deck 1 (or left deck). Its baffling, is there an order of when I should start the program and when I should put the DNS' into PC mode?

OK, sometimes, One DNS would work, and the other would still show "PC connection" in the display.. what's up with that?

Ultimately, I just want to know a step by step procedure into hooking up my DNS to my Mac using the latest software from Virtual DJ...thats all I ask... maybe I cant? I spent like 7 hours already trying to figure this out.. I need help! or at least, clarification!

On a second note, when and if both deck are running perfectly on VDJ, is it possible to have one deck still in PC mode playing a song, and the other deck, exiting the PC mode and entering the CD mode and play a song? ALso, after I played the song from the CD mode, can I enter back into PC mode and continue playing from VDJ? I tried it, I was able to leave the PC mode and enter CD mode, but when i jumped back into PC mode, all of a sudden the Mac computer thought it was the same deck 1, meaning, both DNS' acted like the same Midi controller, rather then separating them, like deck 1 and deck 2.

Any insight, thoughts, criticisms are welcome!

Posted Wed 16 Feb 11 @ 4:59 pm
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I can Help you! are you using a two deck skin or a 4 deck skin?

Posted Wed 16 Feb 11 @ 8:15 pm
Hmmm... I think 2 deck skin........im using a Denon DNS1200 skin i downloaded from this site.. why would i need a 4 deck skin??

Posted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 12:03 am
I do. I use 4 decks. Some people do. OK let' s proceed!

1. go to the two Denon DN-S1200 players and set them both to MIDI CH SET 1.

2. Create the Aggregate. Try this link to certain extent to learn how to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

Note that channel 2 is added first before channel 1 in the advance audio outputs config in order to make left deck and right deck work accordingly.

3. Open Virtual DJ Pro 7 and go to Outputs Advance config. add those audio channels like in this pic

4. You only 2 channels for the two denon DN-S1200s. Adding the rest of the channels are optional.

5. Go to Mapper Options and set deck 1 to DN-S100 1 and Deck 2 to DN-S1200 2

Posted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 1:29 am

Posted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 10:46 am
Thanks for the tips... I am trying it out now, and am still running into 2 problems.... first, this may or may not be possible, so please let me.
know....

I have both deck running separately playing under VDJ. as i continue with one deck as the midi player, i disconnect the second deck and enter CD mode, doing so cause VDJ to pause the music for 1 second. Can that be avoided? Secondly, After playing in cd mode, I disconnect CD mode and enter PC mode, again this causes VDJ to pause for 1 second. But instead of the deck being its own separate Midi player, it takes the form of the second player. Meaning, when i try to adjust the deck to 1 or 2, but decks are the same number!!! I essentially have 2 deck 1's or 2 deck 2's, instead of them being separate. Have you encountered this issue? (((I just found out that I would have to manually go into Mapper and Reassigned the deck back to the appropriate Value, either back to deck 1 or 2). Can this be avoided? I wouldn't want to do this every time i disconnect the DNS'.

Lastly, just to be clear... I created the aggregate combing the 2 DNS into one.. but when i used the audio advance and map the decks, I used the two DNS-1200 (AISO?) that are shown and not the aggregate i created.... should i used the aggregate for both DNS? DO i use it at all?

Thanks again for you time!

Posted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 3:42 pm
Why is it that MIdi Channel Set on the DNS from the Denon Link shows that I should have "Midi 1" for 1 deck, and "Midi 2" for the second deck, also, they have the Unit set up the same, but your telling me both need to be setup as Midi 1, am i getting this right? I also left the default of the Unit No. Set to "All".. is that oK?

Posted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 3:45 pm
"as i continue with one deck as the midi player, i disconnect the second deck and enter CD mode, doing so cause VDJ to pause the music for 1 second. Can that be avoided? ""

Negative, there isn' t a way that I am aware of to switch from MIDI to PC mode In Virtual DJ and DN-S1200s without audio Interruptions. The only way that I was informed by Denon staff is by using a separate soundcard and use the 2 DN-S1200s as strictly MIDI. Hence, when I am playing live I stick to MIDI mode only. If I have to play a CD i will use the CD tray in the machine.

"Lastly, just to be clear... I created the aggregate combing the 2 DNS into one.. but when i used the audio advance and map the decks, I used the two DNS-1200 (AISO?) that are shown and not the aggregate i created.... should i used the aggregate for both DNS? DO i use it at all?"

Certainly, In audio Advance only use the two DN-S1200(asio) and not the aggregate.

"After playing in cd mode, I disconnect CD mode and enter PC mode, again this causes VDJ to pause for 1 second. But instead of the deck being its own separate Midi player, it takes the form of the second player. Meaning, when i try to adjust the deck to 1 or 2, but decks are the same number!!! I essentially have 2 deck 1's or 2 deck 2's, instead of them being separate. Have you encountered this issue? (((I just found out that I would have to manually go into Mapper and Reassigned the deck back to the appropriate Value, either back to deck 1 or 2). Can this be avoided? I wouldn't want to do this every time i disconnect the DNS'."

It certainly will always happen that way. I don' t have an answer on doing it any other way.

"Why is it that MIdi Channel Set on the DNS from the Denon Link shows that I should have "Midi 1" for 1 deck, and "Midi 2" for the second deck, also, they have the Unit set up the same, but your telling me both need to be setup as Midi 1, am i getting this right? I also left the default of the Unit No. Set to "All".. is that oK?"

Indeed, that' s what Denon is showing on their link, but the correct way to have it work properly with Virtual DJ Pro 7 is by setting them both to MIDI 1.

I am glad that they are now working for you!

Happy mixing!

Posted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 4:26 pm
In your opinion, if i had say a Pioneer CDJ (CDJ850) would i be experiencing the same issues as I do now with the DNS? In terms of switching from PC to CD mode....and all the other issues regarding deck assignment changing.

Last question, I am currently using DDM400 and do not have it connected to the computer, also, I do have an external sound card (audio kontrol 1) and before i used my DNS as midi's i used the sound card, now its pretty much useless since im connecting my DNS' to the Mac vis USB and the speakers are connected to the DDM.... do you see any benefit in me connecting the DDM4000 and or the Audio Kontrol 1 to the computer for my
purpose???

Thanks a million for all your help, and the fact you understood me! I didn't think i would be able to communicate my problem correctly!>... Now its off to foolin around!. I hope other people out there in this community will benefit from this thread and clear a lot of issues regarding VDJ and DNS', well at least I hope I wasn't the only person fiddling my thumbs.

Posted Thu 17 Feb 11 @ 11:31 pm
hmmm... ever since you mentioned 4 decks in the previous replies.. im thinking to see if its possible to connect my Hercules RMX to the Mac and run 4 decks... RMX being the digital data, and the other 2 DNS' being in USB/CD mode.

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 12:13 am
"Thanks a million for all your help, and the fact you understood me! I didn 't think i would be able to communicate my problem correctly!>... Now its off to foolin around!. I hope other people out there in this community will benefit from this thread and clear a lot of issues regarding VDJ and DNS', well at least I hope I wasn't the only person fiddling my thumbs."

Well, I' ve had the Denon DN-S1200s since they first came out. Initially they were not natively supported by Virtual DJ. The LCD screen and lights did not work. There was a basic mapper one user created which i don' t recall his name which helped me a great deal. I was DJying party in a dark booth with no lights from the players. We came a long way. After a while They then became natively supported. Because those players have two separate souncards there were always issues on how to best set them up with Virtual DJ and Denon. I always feel Denon was doing things one way and Virtual DJ was doing things a different way for every Virtuald DJ updates and Denon firmware updates not to mention Mac OSX audio updates which at times had some serious audio usb issues. With the grace of God, i always manage and with the help of other users to still make them work.

The existing wiki on the Denon DN-S1200s has a great deal of my contributions in it If you care to look.

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Denon.html

I used to publish modified mappers for the DN-S1200s. I stopped. I am not sure If it is necessary anymore due to the fact each person can modify the mapper to their on liking.

"hmmm... ever since you mentioned 4 decks in the previous replies.. im thinking to see if its possible to connect my Hercules RMX to the Mac and run 4 decks... RMX being the digital data, and the other 2 DNS' being in USB/CD mode."

You certainly, can also use your RMX controller with a 4 deck skin. I would suggest that you get a USB hub which can work if you don' t get too much latency problems. To use your audio Kontrol 1, you would also need a usb hub!

Now, for myself I use 4 deck skin using just my 2 Denon DN-S1200s. It Is a bit tricky at first to set them up, but work like a charm for me now. I hope to one day add the instructions to the wiki if Virtual DJ Pro 7.2.+ up does not make too much changes to the current audio options available.
Note the eject button on the DN-S1200s can be used as the button to switch those 4 decks on a 4 deck skin. It is currently mapped that way in the default mapper in Virtual DJ.

"In your opinion, if i had say a Pioneer CDJ (CDJ850) would i be experiencing the same issues as I do now with the DNS? In terms of switching from PC to CD mode....and all the other issues regarding deck assignment changing. "

I don' t quiet have an opinion on them, because I don' t own them. You can create a topic on them on this forum to find out if any of those pioneer owners know anything about them or ask a pioneer staff in the hardware technical support section of this forum. I am not too too sure, but i think i read somewhere that some the Pioneer MIDI players can be switch without any audio interruptions to CD with Virtual DJ. Your best bet Is to ask the Pioneer tech guy on that!

A little bonus. Pic of the audio Advance coonfig for 4 decks:

Well, I am glad you were able to figure things out for your players with my help.

Happy mixing! chow!

Posted Fri 18 Feb 11 @ 1:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)