Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Some karaoke zip files won't play???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So, I have all my karaoke files on a hard drive into seperate folders by cd in zip format. I usually use compuhost for karaoke but there are time I want to use VDJ. Most of the zip files will play but there are some that won't and work fine in compuhost. Anyone have any idea why or what I can look for? When I load them it just say error cant read it.

Posted Fri 14 Jan 11 @ 1:55 pm
Ok, I looked at the details of some that would play and the ones that won't. Under the archive tab the ones that work say Version to extract 2.0 and Host OS Windows. The one that don't play say Version to extract 2.1 and Host OS DOS. Is there a way to change this or a codec to use in VDJ? Because if I unzip them they work fine.

Posted Fri 14 Jan 11 @ 2:15 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Ok, I looked at the details of some that would play and the ones that won't. Under the archive tab the ones that work say Version to extract 2.0 and Host OS Windows. The one that don't play say Version to extract 2.1 and Host OS DOS. Is there a way to change this or a codec to use in VDJ? Because if I unzip them they work fine.

Use a program like 7zip to extract them, then repack them. VDJ uses the windows archive manager to access the zip files. Repacking them with 7zip, as a zip, will pack them in the older zip format.

Posted Fri 14 Jan 11 @ 5:03 pm
Another program is mp3+g toolz - its not free but if you have alot of files to do it is much quicker and easier as it will do a whole folder including sub folders with no input from the user once set up.

Posted Mon 17 Jan 11 @ 3:21 pm
i had that same problem when i worked for another karaoke outfit back with VJ 1.1

the problem is the file compression, not virtual dj. years ago there was a karaoke rip zip and autoname program that a lot of ppl used-- it was not the most sophisticated build in the work but it used karaoke databases to autoname the tracks, and it used iprprietary zip dll files that were open source.

the problem is with a zip file there is a open and closing header in the code-- this particular software didnt write the closing headers reliably.

other karaoke software companies found ways to make it work by using a less sophisticated source code that didnt neccesarily need the closing header code.

as one of the other posts suggested, get a good reliable zip program such as winzip, 7zip or alzip, and do em all over-- which if you have a lot, is a pain in the a$$.

theres a better idea-- get this - http://www.latshawsystems.com/ProductDetails_KJFileManager.aspx - its worth every dime-- tools for audio, video and karaoke files and will batch your whole library overnight without you having to do anything. just click and go.

and if the admins ban this post ill make sure they know about karaoki

Posted Tue 18 Jan 11 @ 5:07 pm
Another program is mp3+g toolz - its not free but if you have alot of files to do it is much quicker and easier as it will do a whole folder including sub folders with no input from the user once set up.

One thing to watch for with mp3+g toolz is the rename. Some companies re-released disk's with the same number, but different tracks. So if you have an older version of the CD, the rename will name some of the songs incorrectly.

Posted Tue 18 Jan 11 @ 6:28 pm
Another option is to simply not zip the files in the first place - There's no real need nowadays with the huge, cheap hard disks that are now available and commonly in use by most users.

Posted Tue 18 Jan 11 @ 6:34 pm
Another option is to simply not zip the files in the first place - There's no real need nowadays with the huge, cheap hard disks that are now available and commonly in use by most users.
I had them unzipped once, they took up almost twice as much space. So if you have 200gig zipped, thats a lot of space. Plus, if you use a different program to manage your music, you have to be careful not to suck the karaoke files in and separate them from the graphics files.

Posted Tue 18 Jan 11 @ 6:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)