Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: on vms4 ...how to hear and use 4 decks - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

using the new vms4 _ 4 deck skin 2.0
midilogs all set to usb
i mapped my keyboard to swap decks

Posted Tue 02 Nov 10 @ 1:01 am
i actually saw something similar to this on a german you-tube video. thanks to the new vms4 - 4 deck skin i put it to use. let me know how it works for you. mapped my keyboad z,x (swap 1,3) n,m (swap 2,4)

Posted Tue 02 Nov 10 @ 1:22 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
djxlbass wrote :
i mapped my keyboard to swap decks

What is the code you used for swappping ?

Posted Tue 02 Nov 10 @ 8:26 am
not a geek so i'll explain best i can...

selected keyboard in the mapping section

z = deck 3 leftdeck & deck 3 select
x = deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 select

n = deck 4 rightdeck & deck 4 select
m = deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 select

you'll have to delete the previous -m- mapping

Posted Tue 02 Nov 10 @ 2:29 pm
Hi,

i tried to use the 4 decks with your solution from above but encountered some problems.

I could only get the music thru channel 1 & 2, nothing thru 3 &4.

also is it possible to have channels 1 & 2 playing at the same time & mix in a new track from 3?

I was wondering if you could send me an easy step by step guide to my email address, not very good at setting up midi maps, etc !!!

Cheers
Graham

Posted Tue 02 Nov 10 @ 4:07 pm
djxlbass, i think you have to assign
Deck 1 Output 1,2
Deck 2 Output 3,4
Deck 3 Output 5,6
Deck 4 Output 7,8

Do you use the crossfader? How is it assigned ? (Front side of the VMS4.)

Posted Tue 02 Nov 10 @ 7:40 pm
on the German you-tube video they actually had that config but it did not work for me. ???
on the front i have it set to 4 as opposed to 8 and all channels usb. crossfades 1,3 over to 2,4
pfl work as well.

now with different skins i got different results. the vms4 2.1 is what i used

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 2:21 am
i will post a video today

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 2:29 am
johansPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hey,
planning to purchase a VMS4.
What is the quality of the sound coming out of it.
Did you tried the mic as well?

Hope to get some user feedback

Posted Wed 03 Nov 10 @ 6:30 am
Hey,

I tried assigning the channels as mentioned but can still not all 4 decks, I can only hear channel 2 & 3.

Surely you be able to use 3 or 4 decks.

Is it possible to upload the video, to help people who are not very technical.

Cheers

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 3:04 pm
djdad wrote :
djxlbass, i think you have to assign
Deck 1 Output 1,2
Deck 2 Output 3,4
Deck 3 Output 5,6
Deck 4 Output 7,8

Do you use the crossfader? How is it assigned ? (Front side of the VMS4.)

you were correct. thanks :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXDrF53PwY

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 3:48 pm
I saw the video.. and yes there is a small issue here. I mean we have to find a way to override the hardware crossfader assignment and use the assignement of the software. But still, you have to understand that this is a 4 channel analogue mixer as well, and it behaves like one. If you had a 4 channel mixer and 4 true decks (cd players) would you use the crossfader? Crossfader is good for scratch and certain kind of mixes. Channel Levels (volumes) are the one we usually mix with.

Anyway glad you sorted it out.

Posted Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 5:54 pm
johans wrote :
Hey,

i have no problems with it. just have to watch the levels because as you know some tunes are louder than others. once you set your levels on your regular selections vdj will remember. i use it in a club 5 nights. i run it through the house system through their dj mixer. i use the mic more than most and have not had any problems.

keep in mind that this is the first creature of its kind. it is easy to pick over it. i will use this until the next greatest thing comes along... the denon unit perhaps. remember the first cdj? i do and it wasn't all that! lol BUT it started a new era. I can only image what the future holds.

Posted Fri 05 Nov 10 @ 4:08 am
HI Guys.. sorry to bother you, i am almost there.

deck 1 - output 1&2
deck 2 - output 3&4
deck 3 - output 5&6
deck 4 - output 7&8

the crossfader is set as off

i have deck 1 live but only plays out left hand speaker, i have deck 2 down & i am cueing up the deck put it comes out right speaker when there should be no sound .

decks 3 & 4 work perfect.

I know it is probably something silly but i have tried everything.

I have also changed pflls
ch1 pfl - deck 1
ch2 pfl - deck 2
ch3 pfl - deck 3
ch4 pfl - deck 4

Any help is appreciated - getting frustrated & know it will be something simple.

Cheers

Posted Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 4:04 pm
johans wrote :
Hey,

Avoid like the plague. I had 2 units before I gave up. AA give you no support when things go wrong. The low output on the headphone and output preamps, plus the distortion on the mic channels is a known problem that AA are trying to fix with 'retrofits'. But 3 months down the line customers are none the wiser as to when they'll get them or even IF they'll get them! Not good.

Posted Tue 09 Nov 10 @ 5:26 pm
i will try to help.... the crossfader is set as the video shows...make sure you are using the vms4 2.1 skin

crossfader A set to 1 B set to 2 ..... 3,4 are independent via channel faders

this unit may have flaws and you should expect some "issues" IT IS THE FIRST OF IT'S KIND. As Denon and everyone else learns from the unit the art of the midi-log mixer will be perfected. AA will have another this time next year as well

Posted Wed 10 Nov 10 @ 2:33 am

Posted Thu 11 Nov 10 @ 9:36 pm
djxlbass wrote :
i will try to help.... the crossfader is set as the video shows...make sure you are using the vms4 2.1 skin

crossfader A set to 1 B set to 2 ..... 3,4 are independent via channel faders

this unit may have flaws and you should expect some "issues" IT IS THE FIRST OF IT'S KIND. As Denon and everyone else learns from the unit the art of the midi-log mixer will be perfected. AA will have another this time next year as well

I saw your video and the crossfader issue. I have a solution for this. I will post later in the Hardware Forum (Discussion about VMS4).

[EDIT] Check this . http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/132398/Hardware_Technical_Support/American_Audio_VMS4_Discussions.html

Posted Fri 12 Nov 10 @ 3:47 am
Hi,

how do I set up the 4 deck mapper that is now aviailable in add ons?

Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 @ 10:34 am
Dj Dad.. 1st,.. I've been playing more with the mapping you provided. So far it's great!
1 question though.. Since u have the crossfader set to video, how can I fade video from deck 2/3, 1/3 or 1/4. I'm only able to fade 1/2. Let me know as I might be overseeing s/thing here
Tks

Posted Wed 08 Dec 10 @ 9:13 am
77%