Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: MP3Gain PRO

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

By all means this is NOT related to MP3 Gain made by Glen. ( http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ )

I have used MP3 Gain for a while now but some MP3's have louder parts of the songs then they would do say at the begining.

I downloaded a program called MP3Gain Pro ( http://www.mp3gain-pro.com/mp3normalizer.html ) to try and fix this problem as i found that MP3Gain wasn't doing it's job.

I found it has numerous awards so thought i would download a trail, i inserted my song and pressed "AutoNormalize" and i was blown, it made the track all the same gain.

I inserted some more MP3's and did the same thing, they are all the same gain as each other.

I loaded the adjusted MP3's into VDJ to see the gain loudness light blink up and down, all the songs were exactly the same loudness, i didn't have to adjust the gain knob at all.

I was thinking of buying it $25 (Around £10) but i was hoping that others have used it and would give there opinion on it.

I came across this forum ( http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=72269 ) and its mentioned with in it that the program compresses the MP3 (What dose this mean) and looses quality (If anything, i found it to be more clear).

What do you all think of the program? I know its practically a copy of MP3 Gain but i find that it has done a far better job at normalizing my MP3's then MP3Gain has.

Thanks,
Dan

Posted Sat 21 Aug 10 @ 6:10 pm
I too was not thrilled by the original MP3Gain. It was the best option I could find (and a great price) so...That's what I used. I like the concept of the new product but I am concerned of the distortion it would create on a very low volume portion of a loud song. Have you had a chance to test it with songs like that?

I may have to try it myself. Please post your results. If I try it, I'll do the same.

Posted Mon 23 Aug 10 @ 9:07 am
Hi

I emailed the producer of the program and asked will it distort my music, as i have seen a thread saying it will (posted him the link) he replied some where along the lines of no it wont do anything to your music, if anything it will make it sound more crisp.

I also asked if it normalizes all the MP£'s to the same level as each other, unfortunately as his English isn't too good, i think he decided to skip the question.

Later that evening i bought it. Waited a hour for my product key to be sent and let my collection of 300+ MP3's get sorted. Its not very quick, its alot slower then MP3Gain. I left my computer on over night and in the morning it was complete.

I opened up my music directory to notice that it has "50 Cent - In da Club" & "50 Cent - In Da Club Normalized". I played both and the improvements are awesome. There is a option to overwrite the original track, but its not recommended.

I added a few into VDJ to see the gain levels, there are all the same (or all most the same +/- 2 Gain)

All in all, i would recommend it, great GUI and simple to use with outstanding results.

I did own one song with considerably quieter gain then the others, this was vastly improved and now matches the gains of the others.

Mp3Gain did its job
Mp3Gain Pro is what i was after (Recommended)

Posted Mon 23 Aug 10 @ 12:04 pm
CadDogPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks Danny Boy 2005,

For this review...

I have been using mp3Gain for years now and haven't notice these problems you noted...

I will have a look at mp3Gain Pro myself...

However, Doesn't VDJ do this...??? "isscanned=0" (i thing that's the code)

I'm new on this board and with VDJ (only 2 weeks now)

Thanks again...

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 10:02 am
CadDog, welcome aboard. I'm assuming you're the same CadDog from WeDJie world (how many could there be?).

I tried the trial version and I didn't detect any real distortion from my PC speakers or headphones. I'll have to check with my studio monitors to be absolutely sure. I don't think the difference will be noticeable with most music. I noticed the largest changes when listening to music that have quiet sections. A good song to try it on is "The Way You Move" by Outkast. Notice the changes in the beginning.

The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't let me choose a decible level. I'm not sure what their numbers mean so I don't know how to match the newly normalized music to the previous stuff. It also takes substantially longer to process.

I think I'll give them my $25.

Posted Sat 28 Aug 10 @ 5:05 pm
NoDoubtDJs wrote :
CadDog, welcome aboard. I'm assuming you're the same CadDog from WeDJie world (how many could there be?).

Thanks (yes it is me), everyone here has be a lot of help getting me started with VDJ...

But I most add that there wasn't all that to do this time around...

I tried VDJ 5 demo and needed to do a couple of things but again not a lot...

I'm happen and running great...!!!

Back to thread---

Again, maybe it is me but I could tell the big change from Old to pro...

I may need to check my ears again...

:)

Posted Mon 30 Aug 10 @ 5:37 pm
MP3Gain PRO works as a dynamic multi-band compressor. If that's what you want, go for it... But if you want to keep your tracks original dynamics and colorization then I wouldn't recommend it. You need to understand the difference between constant amplification (based on RMS levels - MP3Gain) and
Quote :
Mp3Gain PRO acts in a completely new way, doing a thorough analysis of every millisecond of every song. It also analyzes each frequency, by detecting the internal dynamics of volume. To adjust fine, thousands of times per second, the volume levels of each frequency and each instrument (or vocals), so the end result is bright and clear.
which is dynamic multi-band compression before you decide which way you want to go...

Posted Tue 31 Aug 10 @ 4:08 am
That is a good explanation. The artist created the song with loud and quiet sections. The way that this software adjusts the volume, changes this. While the song will not sound totally different, it will be different than the original. Music purists will hate this. I would not recommend this for studio work, but if you need to keep a more consistent volume and aren't overly concerned about the purity of the song, this is a good option.

Posted Tue 31 Aug 10 @ 5:51 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
MP3Gain PRO works as a dynamic multi-band compressor. If that's what you want, go for it... But if you want to keep your tracks original dynamics and colorization then I wouldn't recommend it. You need to understand the difference between constant amplification (based on RMS levels - MP3Gain) and
Quote :
Mp3Gain PRO acts in a completely new way, doing a thorough analysis of every millisecond of every song. It also analyzes each frequency, by detecting the internal dynamics of volume. To adjust fine, thousands of times per second, the volume levels of each frequency and each instrument (or vocals), so the end result is bright and clear.
which is dynamic multi-band compression before you decide which way you want to go...

Are the same Phantom who once used

PCDJ...???

Right name (about)
Right country...

Posted Thu 02 Sep 10 @ 5:22 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
CadDog wrote :

Are the same Phantom who once used

PCDJ...???

Right name (about)
Right country...

Welcome to the party

Posted Thu 02 Sep 10 @ 6:21 pm
Yes CAD, it's the same... :P My usual nickname was already registered here so I had to come up with another. ;)

Posted Fri 03 Sep 10 @ 1:40 am
the fact is that mp3 gain pro reencode the music and this is not the case for mp3 gain, so there is a loss of quality, still small i guess but there is . so i recomand to keep the originals somewhere when using mp3 gain PRO.

Posted Fri 03 Sep 10 @ 8:55 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Yes CAD, it's the same... :P My usual nickname was already registered here so I had to come up with another. ;)

I would like to thanks you again for creating Dark Beta and Dark Beta 2...
I have used these skins and I'm still using these skins...

I hope in time to I can get as good with VDJ as I'm with PCDJ 5.2...
and I know I will but it takes time...

Nice to see a friend here too...

Posted Fri 24 Sep 10 @ 12:51 pm
There's always a learning curve but I don't think that it's going to be as long as you think ;)

Posted Sat 25 Sep 10 @ 11:20 pm
Does this just do MP3's or will it do videos as well?

Posted Wed 29 Sep 10 @ 3:38 pm
Just MP3's as i am aware.

Posted Thu 30 Sep 10 @ 11:31 am
Unfortunate. I wonder if there's an app out there that will do videos?

Posted Thu 30 Sep 10 @ 1:34 pm
alice88Home userMember since 2010
there are audio normalizer feature in the website: http://daydayvideo.com .support many video ,audio fomat,dvd movies,swf video etc
very easily adjust output volume from 75db -105db.support bath conversion any video,music to the same volume .very useful.I like the feature.

Posted Mon 17 Jan 11 @ 10:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)