Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: way to integrate virtual vinyl with dmx software controller

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hi, I am a mobile dj and looking for ways to integrate virtual vinyl with my dmx controller. I understand that it may be difficult to have an affiliation with another program or to incorporate quality dmx into Virtual Vinyl... I use American Audio MyDmx which uses midi to change scenes, would it be possible to take some of the 57 hot cue points say 20 and make them into midi signal cues that could be placed on the song time line for use in other programs to change lighting scenes? Its not a total solution for sound to light, although if this was possible i know a lot of serato and traktor users that would make the switch, as you would be able to focus on the music and not the lights when performing. Thanks for your time

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 10:31 am
VDJ 5.x already had the ability to directly control DMX lights..
I'm not sure what the status of this ability is with 6.x ??

I wish I had more time to investigate the VDJ DMX feature, as it was one of its seling points for me when I first purchased pro..
Sadly, I just havent had time nor the energy to explore it..
one day!

The DMX ability of VDJ never garnered a lot of excitement around here, and because of that I think it has simply languished into obscurity..
There is still a small group of Pro users that are still interested and hopefully one day we can get the idea going again.

one of the problems (besides only a few users wanting it), is the choices of great DMX software already out there (one of them free)..

As too Integration.. it has been looked at.. (do a search for DMX in the forums if your interested), and is probably the more likely way to go.. especially now that VDJ has some new features that make it more possible..
Some of the programmers have looked into it.. Again.. not a lot of interest from the majority of users, so it hasnt really taken off or pushed into reality yet..

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 2:14 pm
Thanks for the quick response Hippydog... I have already looked at the forum in regards to dmx, but just thought I'd throw this out there as at present I use an mpd for hitting cues in virtual vinyl, a usb touch screen for light cues in my dmx plus a two turntables and a cdj for acapellas. I have tried freestyler, but for some reason I couldn't run the audio through for their sound to light, I might have to look into that further or get another soundcard and run the master out from the mixer through that.
Cheers,
Andrew

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 2:46 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I've offered in the past to integrate DMX into VDJ6 but interest was very low :(

Posted Sat 07 Aug 10 @ 8:39 pm
I don't really want complete integration just communication via midi that responds to specific cue points in the timeline, so i can predetermine a scene to trigger for a breakdown or a strobe scene when a track kicks back in to give it that extra bit of energy, and so no matter when i mix a track in, the scenes run without having to manually trigger them, giving an extra hand, more concentration on the mix and most importantly, more time to amp everybody up by participating with the crowd.

I'm not sure if an application like this would be useful for anything else, but if it was midi it would be generic and adaptable for any software or hardware that reads midi, that you want to trigger at set points during a song.

P.S. Now you can add one more to the list of people who want dmx ;-) I'll be registered next month

P.P.S. also a computer only deck that is syncable would be awesome, as there's only two inputs but three outputs on your soundcard, I've tried heaps of ways to get an acapella to run on time through the sampler, but they never sync even if you do a two bar drum intro before the acapella starts
Cheers,
Andrew

Posted Sun 08 Aug 10 @ 9:16 am
the one problem I see with the idea is the long setup time, and limited scenes..
and having 50 cue points listed across a song i think would annoy most people, not to mention trying to set up 50 (or more) cue points for EACH SONG!! ouch..

On the other hand, most DMX software and hardware allow midi to trigger chases or 'sequences'..
that wouldnt be too bad.. a few cue points could trigger the lighting controller and let it do its 'thing' (IE: run a sequence or chase for that particular type of song..)
problem with that is we then still need a way to 'sync' the music with the lighting controller..
IE: many software and hardware controllers allow a midi note to become a "tap sync" (interestingly enough.. SBDJ has already done this! using the CBG window)

Posted Sun 08 Aug 10 @ 2:20 pm
I'm pretty sure that's where the midi clock could come in. I read on one of the forums it is capable of sending a beat marker to other programs, but havn't found out any more on it, although i might be wrong, and there is always freestyler's sound to light to keep lights on time. Anyway im not sure thats the biggest concern i have. I feel that lights can do whatever during the song, its just the peaks and the troughs that are important, meaning you could get away with around 4 or 5 cues a track (I use 4 audio cues on every track), although the more cues available the more versatile your light show. but I agree 50 cues in a track you'd have to be crazy, but fifty cues to play with would be great. And you have to remember the 6 P's - proper preparation prevents piss poor performance. words to live by. LOL

I am not a computer programmer, and have no idea what it would take to do this, but I thought i'd run with the idea and see if it got some attention. Fingers crossed.

Thanks hippydog for the heads up, but you said "SBDJ has already done this! using the CBG window" forgive my ignorance but whats a CBG window?
Cheers
Andrew

Posted Sun 08 Aug 10 @ 3:06 pm
One last sales pitch before I let this idea fade into obscurity...
I play mostly house parties and I'm not talking sweet 16's im talking lets tear this mutha up and invite everyone you know get so drunk you forget where you are house parties, where there is an atmosphere of fun! Now one of the main reasons for the atmosphere is the ability to take the crowd on a visual journey as well as an aural one (the only senses that remain when your drunk). you've all experienced it, you have gone to a house party in a fully lit room with a dj where everyone is sitting down legs crossed comparing stories and hairstlyes to see who is the coolest, you can feel the emptiness as a dj because no one is vibing off the music, you are trying to energize the room, and still no one is letting go of their characters and inhibitions and started having a good time.

One of the reasons IMO for this is that for most people their sense of sight is more acute than their sense of hearing eg, they will only hear the music the way you are putting it out and hearing it yourself if you restrict their sense of vision i.e. make the room dark, but that is ultimately boring so you need to make things flash and change to hold their attention (lights) you need atmosphere (smoke) you need presence (music). When you have all of these elements present you don't have an instant party, but you will have created a safe environment for people dancing to express themselves. IMO There is a duality in the human psyche; everyone is afraid of what other people think of them especially dancing, but everybody wants to be a star, so you make them think they cant be seen by making it dark and hazy with enough light to make out a silhouette and there more likely to let go and have fun.

The beauty of it is that you can create this atmosphere fairly cheaply, you will probable only need a centerpeice light to direct attention inwardly towards the sound, a couple of color par cans to wash the room with color and a smoke machine to fill in the space. that's easy, the hard part (what I am asking from atomix) is to make the lights coherent with the sound so you have a show and not just room full of lights that change randomly. but to do it the easiest possible way for one person to achieve. As stated earlier, this isn't a total solution but it is the dj software part of a total solution, the rest would need to be addressed in another program by another company built for another purpose.

They keep saying that there isn't enough support in the Virtual Vinyl community to action the request, so its up to you to show your support if your interested in a feature like this or any feature for that matter by having your say, not just looking at a post but posting your opinion, that's the only way to grab there attention.

Thanks for reading

Peace,

Synthet1c

Posted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 3:45 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
For the record 'they' didn't say anything - I don't work for Atomix ;)

As a test I created a DMX plugin for VDJ that used a USB dongle to communicate a single 512 channel universe. This plugin could have a number of scenes with infinite steps. Every beat correlated to a step and you could have channels generate random values to (on a per scene, per step, per channel basis). You could trigger scenes from VDJScript. You could also trigger scenes from predefined points in a track.

I had plenty of other ideas too, but these things all take a lot of time. The amount of community interest shown was so little that I didn't bother persuing it any further.

Posted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 10:04 pm
hey SBDJ, sorry about that I didn't mean any offence to you or Hippydog, It was more an us against them (atomix) to stir some emotions and get support, I have nothing against atomix or Virtual vinyl, I just want some more control over lighting, and tried to show a purpose for dmx control in a live situation, so maybe if someone was reading it, they could think of the benefits of this might present them in the future if they decided to incorporate lights into their performances. I didn't understand the possibility of what you were suggesting, as I remember looking a while ago at the dmx in a prevous version and I thought it only had rgb color mixing for parcans, but I wasn't really into dmx at that stage either LOL.

Posted Tue 10 Aug 10 @ 3:18 am
johansPRO InfinityMember since 2005
hey SBDJ, Any change to put that DMX plugin in the download section.

I have a USB DMX controller and would like to have it controlled via VDJ.

Just want to explore what is possible etc...

thx

Johans

Posted Thu 12 Aug 10 @ 9:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)