Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: EKS Otus buttons broken on V6.1.1 [fixed in 6.1.2]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

craighPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I have a Dell XPS M1730 running Windows 7 controlled by an EKS Otus running firmware V1.5 (current) on HID drivers. This worked fine until I updated to VDJ V6.1.1 when the buttons on the Otus stopped working. The knobs and the platter (but not wheel touch) kept working, just the buttons didn't work. The buttons were still configured ok in the mapper but the the buttons did not activate autolearn. The buttons still registered in the EKS MIDI software. I reinstalled VDJ V6.1 and the Otus buttons started working again.
I updated my lighting computer (Archos PCTablet 9, also running Windows 7) to V6.1.1 and the buttons stopped working. Then I downgraded to V6.1 and the buttons started working again.

It would appear that the Otus HID drivers are not working properly on VDJ V6.1.1
Any ideas? Anything other details or logs I should submit? Is this post in the right place?

Thanks in advance
Craig

Posted Mon 02 Aug 10 @ 7:51 am
BishPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Any further info on whether this is sorted? I'm thinking of buying an otus at the end of the week. Also anyone that has one I would love to know their thoughts on otus and otus and vdj.

Posted Tue 03 Aug 10 @ 1:40 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
We are aware of the bug and aware of the cause. We are working to provide a solution as soon as we can. In the meantime, you will need to use version 6.1.

Posted Tue 03 Aug 10 @ 3:23 pm
Thanks Cstroll. I'll wait patiently.
I use the Otus with a Pioneer DJM800 for video (and audio only a lot of the time). The Otus is layed out and operates very similar to a Pioneer CDJ. If you are used to using CDJs, you should feel comfortable about the Otus. What does take some getting use to is the touch pitch adjustment and the dual layers. I have touched or stopped the wrong deck quite a few times. The touch pitch adjustment is required to make one pitch adjuster change to reflect the position of the pitch control on the opposite deck when you change between decks. A lot of DJs have criticised this as being a big change to how they DJ but I really like it. You can change the sensitivity of the touch strip (using the button next to the touch strip) so that you can adjust the pitch in steps of 0.03bpm. I have not seen anything else this accurate. Once you set the pitch, the player will stay on beat almost as well as auto sync does (at times better). I have edited the colours on my skin to show Orange and Green rather than Red and Blue so that I can see that the colour of the LEDs on the Otus is the same as the deck I'm trying to control in VDJ. This helps with getting the dual layers to work but it's mostly a matter of being careful. If you do get an Otus, PM me and I'll send you my modification of the Consolidated skin (Pending copyright, etc. IE. I won't distribute it if someone complains).
The Digital outputs are nice because you can use one stereo RCA cable (like you would use to connect a CDJ) to connect both stereo channels of the Otus to a mixer with digital inputs (like the DJM800). This reduces cable clutter and setup time. I am also considering getting a roadcase built for my mixer and Otus in two halves which would open up like a suitcase with the Otus in one side and the mixer in the other, already plugged in ready to go. This would be a considerable space / bulk saving over three boxes for 2 decks and a mixer or a long coffin. If anyone has seen these readily available, please let me know.
The only thing that really annoys me with the Otus and VDJ is the latency. The platter is too slow to respond to scratch on it. It's fine for normal mixing but really annoying to try to cue with the platter like you would a turntable. Running DPC latency checker on my computer it peaks at 1ms so should be ok. Running Traktor LE (which comes with the Otus) is quicker but not great.
One of my friends has recently purchased a Reloop (www.reloopdj.com) Digital Jockey 2 which is quicker (and cheaper) and a very nice option if you don't need to use an external mixer (it only has one output). Running on VDJ it is quicker than the Otus but still not the same as a CDJ. Apparently is is even quicker running on the latest version of Deckadance.

Good luck.

Craig

PS. Thanks again Cstoll

Posted Wed 04 Aug 10 @ 4:58 am
Hey Craig. Thanks soo much for the in-depth reply! I also use a djm800 and have a cdj1000mk3. I'm still torn as to what to buy. I've recently replaced my 'music box' with a laptop so i'm also trying to work out what my options are as far as audio connectivity, as my ext. sound card doesn't have usb. I thought Otus may be a 'kill 2 birds with one stone' option as it has soundcard. But having read your issues around latency and Otus I'm feeling like I'm back to indecision?? I've got an option to buy an otus but need to make my mind up asap as i got gigs starting to line up next month and I want my new setup to be ready. Now I'm having a look through the reloop range.

Posted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 6:05 am
Thanks for the reply. It's always nice to hear that a post has been of use.
An ASIO Soundcard and Timecode CDs on your CDJ1000 is an option I would not recommend because while scratching works quite well on timecodes, sudden starts (like using the cue button, play button and loops on the CDJ) will always lag as the computer needs time to work out where it is in the Timecode signal. I own Virtual Vinyl and have tried it with CDJs and it's really annoying having to cue a CDJ like it is a vinyl.
Another option is Pioneer CDJ400s, 900s or 2000s. Have a look at the VDJ Pioneer forum as the guys using USB enabled CDJs, the Atomix guys and the Pioneer guys have got together on this forum and done a lot of work to improve latency.
I have not seen or tried the Hercules controllers. Some people rave over them but I don't know anything about them. May be worth a look.
The issue I have that's stopping me buying a Reloop controller is the single output. You are forced to use another soundcard or use the mixer on the Reloop controller. You can't run it into two channels on your DJM800. It does however have quite comprehensive control over the VDJ effects engine, a basic mic input and balanced output so it's up to you if you can live without the DJM800 (this may actually be a good thing as it's one less box to carry).

Posted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 7:07 am
I see you're in Australia. I bought my Otus from Store DJ in Sydney (might have been Melbourne, they have other stores elsewhere in Oz). If you're near a Store DJ shop, you could always take your computer into a Store DJ shop and try an Otus. Just download the drivers from the EKS website before you go.
Also I see from your profile you sometimes have a CDJ400. Try plugging it in via USB and see how it works.

Posted Mon 09 Aug 10 @ 7:16 am
Just letting you know I'm proud owner of an Otus!!! I'll hopefully have it in my hands by the weekend!! I'll let you know how I go with setting up. One thing I do know tho is that if I do have an issue, I'll have great support from Vdj tech or from the helpful people in the forums!!

Posted Wed 11 Aug 10 @ 6:05 am
Thanks for the update Cstoll and the team. My Otus is now working well and Netsearch is working well.
Bish; How's the Otus going?

Cheers
Craig

Posted Tue 24 Aug 10 @ 8:33 am
craigh wrote :
Thanks for the update Cstoll and the team. My Otus is now working well and Netsearch is working well.
Bish; How's the Otus going?

Cheers
Craig

Hey I think I may have missed something. Craig you saying that it's good for the Otus to update to 6.12? Daytime job is taking up a lot of my time, but I got some gigs coming my way starting with next weekend. So I gotta do some catchup with best setups. Currently looking for good script stuff.

Posted Fri 03 Sep 10 @ 6:47 am
Yes. In V6.1 video Netsearch is broken but the Otus drivers work. V6.1.1 fixed Netsearch but broke the buttons on the Otus drivers. V6.1.2 fixed the Otus buttons and Netsearch still works.
I don't use any custom mapping of the Otus as the defaults work for me. What you mean by "script stuff"?
Have you got your Otus? Have you got it working? and if so, how do you like it?

Posted Fri 03 Sep 10 @ 7:59 am
hey craig. Just letting you know i sent u a message.

Currently havin a few probs with pitch changing when i switch between decks.

Posted Thu 09 Sep 10 @ 4:55 am
It's good to hear the Otus is working for you. How are you finding the platter response?

Check if you have Pitch reset on load enabled in the options. If so, the pitch will reset to 0% and override the Otus every time you load a track until you change it with the Otus again. The same thing will happen if you use auto synch (Shift + Space).

I have not played much with custom mapping. I don't like the HID drivers VDJ uses as they don't give a lot of flexibility compared with MIDI used with the Otus in other applications. Most of the controls are mapped already so you can just modify whatever button or knob you want to do whatever you want. I have attempted to map the Otus in MIDI but VDJ insisted on defaulting to HID unless you disable HID completely. Even then, I couldn't get the platter to work.
I would love to be able to switch decks on VDJ and the Otus using the cue buttons on my DJM800 mixer.

If anyone from Atomix is listening, bi-directional MIDI drivers for the Otus would be much appreciated. I'm also waiting for MIDI v2 which is hopefully going to be quicker responding.

Posted Thu 09 Sep 10 @ 6:54 am
yeah I had the middle cue buttons on my djm800 set to beatgrid effect for deck one and 2. I used the fader start button 1 to clone deck and fader start 4 to sync. I'm now wanting to have those settings on my otus so just working out where I'm going to put them. I've found the scratching with otus isn't that bad although unless the wheel keeps moving back and forward it gets 'sticky' before the track moves.

Posted Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 8:25 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)