Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Smoke Machine stops VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey there,

I have had a really REALLY weird issue from Virtual DJ since the last update. Whenever I have a smoke machine plugged in and switched on [mobile DJ setup], if I press the button to create smoke, the current track that is playing in VDJ just stops. I've tested this about 20 - 30 times, and it happens at exactly the same time.

The smoke machine is in a seperate socket to the laptop (not on an extension cable or anything).

Any ideas?

Posted Sun 25 Jul 10 @ 12:41 pm
funny...
actually not...
anyway...

i had the same experience a couple years ago
in a small sized club
i usually carry a special surge protector(with grounding etc...) with me
but not that night

not sure if it would have helped me to avoid the problem...

would be nice to hear some technical input on this

cheers,
matthias

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 5:56 am
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I've had this happen a few times, but only in one venue! I also had the smoke machine plugged into a different socket and even tried various sockets, initially thinking one may have been faulty. Still don't know if pressing that smoke machine button caused some kind of spike or generated static, or whatever. The fact that it only happened in one venue makes me think it's the power there.

I now use a small UPS which will also smooth-out any spikes, etc. and haven't had the issue since. (Incidently, the UPS also saved me when power at another venue [a marquee] tripped-out when someone plugged in something flakey. But that's another story! Point is, the UPS can solve a number of problems).

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 6:08 am
kjdj99PRO InfinityMember since 2009
Is your smoke remote a wireless infared type? Could your laptop infared (if it has the feature)be enabled?

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 11:13 am
adamlonsdale wrote :

Any ideas?

gonna need more info..

IE: model and names of the smoke machine and audio equipment..
any midi/usb controllers ?
type of controller for the smoke machine?

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 1:49 pm
i had this problem with my hazer and other foggers. i ended up just always finding a different circuit to use for it. i also found in my testing if i used a plug with a broken off ground pole then it happened more often. check to see if your machine has the ground pin on the plug.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 12:52 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Are you affecting your laptops air circulation? If so you may notice a sudden drop in performance if the CPU overheats.

Posted Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 12:43 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
You will need to find a different circuit to the one your laptop is plugged into and not just another socket, test it at home, use a down stairs socket for your lappy and an upstairs say for your smoke, try it a couple of times and see what happens under test conditions. It's more likely the smoke pump kicking in pulling the juice then down to frequencies, but that could be a possibility.

Posted Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 7:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)