Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Please recommend best controller - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

mizurPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm an old eighties dj, lost touch completely with new software and hardware, i bought a few years back virtual dj pro for my personal (bedroom dj'ing) needs, but now i want to dj in some partys, this makes the mouse mixing a bit rudimentary, so it's time to buy a controller.

Please could you point me in the direction of a full solution (all in one) controller/fader, that is fully functional with virtual dj and mixing VIDEOS, and gives the least headaches with incompatibilitys.

Also all this mapping stuff i've been reading in the suport forums seems a bit geeky for a 40 something dj, please recommend the best out of the box with no or less hassle solution.

I know this thread will be helpfull for all amateur, non technology savy dj's.

Thanks so much.

(price and brand are not important)

Posted Thu 03 Jun 10 @ 8:07 pm
I'm a 43 year old DJ who started out back in '84 with Technics TTs & carried 17 crates of records. I later got into CDs but for the last year and a half have been totally digital. I use Pioneer CDJ-400s and Pioneer DJM-800 mixer loaded with effects. This is one of the best ways to go digital because this system emulates vinyl & CD the most, giving you you that familiar feeling that us old-schoolers enjoy and crave... The players Range from $500 to $700 and the mixer runs between $1200 & $1600...

If you want an all-in-one controller consider the Hercules RMX or the new MKIV due to be released in July, these controller range from $299 to $450. My 21 year old son uses the Numark NS7 with the effects bar and he loves it, this is an all in one controller that has spinning platters like a real record player. The NS7 ranges in price between $1100 & $1300 and add $150 to $200 for the FX bar.

My 22 year old son uses the Vestax VCI-300 with the FX module. This is a bit more compact than the NS7 but operates just as well, some may argue that it is better, though the price is about $200 to $300 less. The FX module will run you about $150 to $200 extra.

There are the Denon DNS-3700 which are similar to the CDJ-400 by Pioneer, some swear by these over the Pioneer model. I've tried both but like the Pioneer better.

Pioneer also offers the CDJ-900 & CDJ-2000 which are awesome upgrades from the CDJ-400 but are very pricey... I will eventually step up to the CDJ-2000s which are about $1600 each.

All of these controllers are VDJ compatible or mappable as VDJ is fully MIDI compliant...

Good luck!!!

DJ RuDe

Keep Spinnin'!!

My pick is Pioneer CDJ-400/900/2000 with the DJM-800 mixer, which is what I use now (400s)

Posted Thu 03 Jun 10 @ 8:37 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
There is no "best". It is a matter of personal taste/style. I own turntables, a dual iCDX set up, an RMX, a Stealth, a VCI-300, a Total Control, and numerous other bits and pieces. One of the DJs who work for me loves the iCDX system, I love the VCI300. So, its very personal...

Posted Thu 03 Jun 10 @ 8:39 pm
mizurPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Rude Dogg, thanks so much for your suggestions!

Tearemup, most things in life are taste/style related, but my question is more practical, i don't care about preferences or wich controller gives you the best effects or wich has a prettier case.

I want to know (if there is one) wich is the least troublesome "all-in-one" controller/mixer, cause i'm not experienced enough to solve technical issues, nor i have the time to become experienced in solving such technicall issues.

This is not a preference or likeness issue, not even about more or newer functions or such...

Just wich VDJ controller has given most users less problems or non at all.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

Posted Thu 03 Jun 10 @ 9:15 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Thu 03 Jun 10 @ 9:51 pm
Whats up mizur. The Numark Mix deck looks good and its an all in one deck. for 699, you cant go wrong.

The Youtube Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKfNKA2u_50&feature=player_embedded#! One thing i noticed about this deck that many probably didnt know about..... The mix deck is the only current all in one deck that can actually work with all dj software companies With time codes or Native by usb.

Posted Fri 04 Jun 10 @ 1:10 am
what's this about a Hercules mk5? do we have any info/pic's as yet?

Posted Fri 04 Jun 10 @ 4:32 am
I need to say that the Numark Mixdeck looks good to me too..... I will be putting down my xponent for small party's
and going with the Mixdeck this is a all in one dream for me. I will now have a mic , line in and a cd player all in one. I just
played with this baby at Sam Ash and I will be getting one this Saturday. After my party tonight I will have just enough to
get it. I wont be able to eat next week but who needs food....

Posted Fri 04 Jun 10 @ 11:46 am
Charlie Wilson wrote :
what's this about a Hercules mk5?

He is refering to the new Hercules DJ Console MK4 (IV = 4 in Roman numerals)

Posted Fri 04 Jun 10 @ 12:56 pm
Thanks for clearing that up, didn't do latin at our school.

Posted Fri 04 Jun 10 @ 1:01 pm
I have te hercules rmx which I started with first. It was a good start in the beginning since I didn't really want to spend to much money and the person from guitar center told me to go with RMX. It was good choice. I personally like the Numark NS7 with effects controller which I just bought a week ago. I've been eying on this for awhile. I've been watching videos with DJ TLM and DJ Eskei83 mixing on the NS7. Watching these videos there is so much things you can do with the NS7. I can't wait till the NS7 gets completely solid with Virtual DJ Pro.

Posted Fri 04 Jun 10 @ 3:52 pm
Seana23PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I LLLOOOVVVEEE my RMX... Its a dream...and very easy to use.

XXX

Posted Mon 07 Jun 10 @ 10:41 am
Wow my first post...anyways

I use VDJ PRO and Hercules Steel $249. I just use a cheap USB soundcard for headphones $20.

Using the Hercules Steel skin with the PRO edition.

Thats just me though, i'm just a noob in DJ-ing.

Posted Tue 29 Jun 10 @ 6:11 pm
Jason KPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I started using numark cue with two icdx decks on an alienware laptop, with numarks first usb mixer. That setup worked ok for a while, but I had issues with the responsiveness of the platters, and the buttons wore out quickly. I upgraded to a custom built desktop, two of denon 5500's, and a korg zero 8 mixer. Dual denon 5500's were not originally supported natively. I used thumbdrives with timecodes on them with limited success. When the update with native support came out I ditched the accuracy of the timecodes for the use of all the buttons on the denon decks. Due to what appears to be an issue with the denon 5500's I was never able to get the platters to work right, even after switching to VDJ's latest version of the software (6.1.1). I have always had issues with running videos continuously through out my shows. I have been through all of the forums and tried all of the fixes. I have even replaced some of my hardware in an effoet to get vdj to work right. I started out using the maya44 and switched to the NI audio 8 to clean up some latency and. audio issues. I had originally purchased the maya, after I was unable to get the sound card in my zero 8 working right. I finally paid off a bunch of my equipment, and order the numark ns7fx. I downloaded the proper drivers for my computer (Windows 7 32 bit) and fired it up. After some initial tweaking like changing the auto gain to disabled and adjusting performance settings it seems to be working perfectly. I have friend who has only used vinyl and cdj1000's. He tested it out for about 30 minutes, and said it works flawlessly. Then he said that he hates me because I got one first. So far I have used for one weekend, both Friday and saturday, without incident. VDJ has never run so well on my setup, usually I have to restart the software at least once or twice during a show, because my video is starting to freeze, or I can't see the waveforms completley. I am extremely happy with the ns7fx, and the way it works with vdj. It's well worth the expense, and I don't see any reason to get anything else, and I have been watching market intensesly for the last 5 years.

Sorry about the long post, but I'm really excited about the performance of the ns7fx and wanted to add some weight to my vote for it.

Posted Mon 02 Aug 10 @ 4:42 pm
If the mixdeck had a midi mixer, then it would be ultimate, reason why I won't buy it. I am waiting until the AC DJ convention to try the American Audio VMS4.

Posted Mon 02 Aug 10 @ 7:47 pm
Phatt BPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Does anyone know the RRP for the vms4? That thing looks unstoppable!

Posted Sat 14 Aug 10 @ 9:48 pm
I personally love my ns7 I think it works flawlessly ( at least it does for me ) and the feel of vinyl is awesome. But its only good with a good computer

Posted Sun 15 Aug 10 @ 1:06 am
I owned the VCI 300, NS7, Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3's, Hercules RMX, Denon HC4500 etc. My favorite decks are the Denon 3700's. I also own 2 technics 1200's in black and i mostly use the denons. Everything has a different feel.

Posted Sun 15 Aug 10 @ 1:28 am
I have a Behringer BCD2000 (limited software controls but very stable for me) & either use it standalone or with a set of Numark V7's or Technics 1200's. I like the feel of the TCV vinyl best. I also have a Numark Total Conrol (good software controls but no pitchbend), Maya 44 & CDJ800's. I use the BCD2000 standalone 1 to 3x's a week mixing video @ the club & only had a couple of crashes in about 5 years. (I forgot to plug my laptop in & the battery died :-(. I use an Acer or Gateway Dual Core Laptop with 2gb ram & 224mb or shared video ram & all is good. One issue with the Behringer, mic doesnt work I run it through another mixer.

Posted Sun 15 Aug 10 @ 1:55 am
Mizur, I'm in the same boat you're in, left the game when singles (vinyls) got too expensive to maintain a multi-genre library...and I was in 2 record pools.

I've pre-ordered the VMS 4; the release date has jumped a few times, now slated for mid-September. The key with this controller is that it will allow those of us that still have vinyl to enjoy them. In my research I've come across some great controllers, but most are digital; the VMS 4 allows you to play digital and analog....and if all else fails, it can play as a regular mixer should your laptop give out.

Now, that's where I'm stuck...the laptop. Won't hijack your thread, but give that some consideration; I plan on doing my homework this week at the DJ Expo.

Jean-Pierre

Posted Mon 16 Aug 10 @ 12:30 pm
71%