Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Using Ableton WITH VDJ - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

McQ714PRO InfinityMember since 2003
what am i doing wrong? VDJ won't sync with Live for more than a few songs. is the VST supposed to be active on only one deck? why does Live recognize the BPM to be about double the actual BPM from VDJ? the plugin sucks!!! it is not consistent at all. waste of $7 if you ask me!!!

why would you put this plugin in the master channel of Live??? it only outputs a midi clock... it doesn't receive! you set the "sync" input in Live's prefs to whatever port you set the output to in the VDJ instance. is this wrong? why can't VDJ just have an external sync feature like Traktor?

Posted Tue 16 Feb 10 @ 10:38 pm
The VST creates a MIDI clock with a calculated BPM from whatever audio it receives. As people are struggling with getting Virtual DJ to send a MIDI clock, this was an alternative. If you place it in the Master channel in Ableton it calculates the BPM of everything that gets sent to the master channel, and so gives (in my case) a pretty accurate clock to keep the BPM synced effects in time.

Pete

Posted Wed 17 Feb 10 @ 6:57 am
McQ714PRO InfinityMember since 2003
so you're not actually placing it in VDJ to send midi clock to Live?

so you send the audio to Live from VDJ and then put the BPM plugin in the master channel of Live to send tempo information to Live itself?
even if that's not what you're talking about i'll have to try that.

i've got such great audio drivers with my Multiface2, i won't use the ASIO4ALL. it'd be better, in my case, to split the driver and route the audio out of VDJ and into Live using RME's own mixer and patch matrix.

Posted Wed 17 Feb 10 @ 9:45 am
McQ714;

Yes thats exactly how I've routed things. I too don't like using ASIO4ALL but until SBDJ shows us how to route from the 'JACK' program to external devices we are stuck with using VAC.

Pete

Posted Wed 17 Feb 10 @ 12:46 pm
I finally got JACK to work, but I'm not that partial to it.... Even at its lowest buffer setting I am still experiencing a noticeable latency issue
that I dont have using ASIO4all and VAC

jack took some playing around with...

you have to open JACKPORTAUDIO then open JACKCONTROL, then open VDJ and ABLETON

after all programs are loaded clikc CONNECT in JACKCONTROL

Route VDJ OUTS 1-4 (on the left) to the LIVE INS 1-4 (on the right) and the LIVE OUTS 1-4 (on the left) to (in my case with the RMX Console) the System INS 1-4 (on the right)
and disconnect anything else as this will double audio and not perform right

trying to figure out the latency tho

Posted Wed 03 Mar 10 @ 1:29 pm
dj808PRO InfinityMember since 2007
TEK,
Couple of questions. First does this work on VDJ version 6.07? I tried to load VAC but I cannot see it while trying to choose the sound card. Is it possible to keep the RMS x fader to control both VDJ and Ableton? I want to control the video x fader in VDJ and the x fader in ableon. One more thing I have Ableton 7 your setup does not work with 7, is there a way you can create a set up for Ableton 7.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted Thu 15 Apr 10 @ 5:31 pm
maybe im missing somethign or just dont understand either or.. it seems i will need "jack" for a patchbay. my question is do i need somethign esle also my set up lsted below

rmx-for my mixer/soundcard
2 turntables
and speaker set up

Posted Mon 19 Apr 10 @ 9:12 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
For VDJ Pro users rewire is the best way now. Dead easy.

Posted Thu 24 Feb 11 @ 7:44 pm
lorposPRO InfinityMember since 2011
How can this be done on a mac if MIDI yoke and asio4all are not available for mac?

Posted Wed 27 Jul 11 @ 12:28 pm
Could I do this with the 4set? Then use the apc40 40 in ableton . Follow. The steps. For 4 decks? Are the MIDI clocks synced?

Posted Fri 05 Aug 11 @ 1:17 pm
Currently using Virtual DJ with Ableton using Soundflower with each of my 4 decks routed to a track in Ableton.
Problems that have occured:
Crackling in the audio stream (changing the buffer size has no effect)
Latency (most of the time it was fine however the extra latency in some occasions definately made my mixes seem out of time)

In my opinion I won't be using ableton with virtual dj in a LIVE situation, it is just too unreliable.

Has anyone tried hardware routing into ableton? I suspect this introduces probably the same amount of latency but might be more reliable.

Posted Sun 07 Aug 11 @ 8:46 pm
I am having trouble with the mac wiring to the input...every time I turn jack osx on, in ableton it will still be "core audio" and I cannot find anything for an input...It looks like my input is the mic of my computer...if this doesn't make any sense I can elaborate, but can you help me? thanks!

Posted Wed 21 Sep 11 @ 12:35 pm
davey73PRO InfinityMember since 2007
Can you record within ableton when you're using them both together?

Posted Mon 03 Oct 11 @ 10:48 pm
comaoloHome userMember since 2009
Hi, how can i do if i use ASIO DRIVER for my external phase 26??? (i play music with an external mixer) how can i say to ableton: in input use the asio4all driver, and in output the phase 26 asio driver??

Posted Mon 07 Nov 11 @ 7:09 am
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
ok, so heres a question... im not sure if anyones already asked it as i didnt read the whole thread (lazy today).

can this be done over wireless or lan between two laptops???? so i can hav vdj on one and Ableton on the other.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 11 @ 11:45 am
Not that I'm aware of, but I don't think it would be a good idea anyway, because of latency.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 11 @ 1:58 pm
edit I should have read the thread first the question is already asked..

Posted Mon 07 Nov 11 @ 2:41 pm
nice lookin i'am goin to try this

Posted Thu 24 Nov 11 @ 7:41 pm
How can I do this if I use an external soundcard (I use a Vestax Typhoon)?
I would like to have my typhoon control my decks in vdj/ableton, and then use the Lemur app on my iPad to control the effects.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 12 @ 4:09 pm
Also is there any way to do all of this with ableton live intro.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 12 @ 4:54 pm
91%