Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Can't fine tune BPM [SOLVED]

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

Still working on the older version of VDJ - as when i installed the newer version i couldn't find the controller tab to turn the jog wheel scratch function off :-P

Anyway after reinstalling the older version i seem to have lost my ability to fine tune my bpm with the pitch nob. Instead of going up in 0.1 bpm it jumps up around 03 / 0.4 bpm a time.

Is there a quick way of remedying this?

Cheers,

Luke

Posted Thu 01 Oct 09 @ 1:39 pm
Anyone?

Is this a bug or am i missing something really obvious??

Posted Sat 03 Oct 09 @ 4:24 am
Can anyone offer me any clues. This has become a really annoying problem.

Posted Mon 05 Oct 09 @ 6:40 am
?

Posted Fri 09 Oct 09 @ 3:15 pm
This has really become an issue now - and i am playing out soon. The jumps in pitch aren't even regular, the 0. BPM jumps up in 3's, 4's and sometime 6's!!!

Its really annoying. I have also found today that the BPM matcher doesn't work properly.

Any help MUCH appreciated

Posted Tue 13 Oct 09 @ 2:03 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi, what version are you using? V5.2.1?

Using any timecodes or just the midi controller?

Regards;)

Posted Tue 13 Oct 09 @ 4:41 pm
The precision of pitch adjustments will depend on the pitch range you are using and the capabilities of your MIDI controller.

The wider the pitch range (Set in CONFIG -> Options), the more course the adjustments will be.

If the pitch is mapped to an endless knob (Rather than a slider), you can change its mapping (CONFIG -> Mappers, then select your controller in the list) to the following to make the adjustments more finer:

param_multiply 10% & pitch

(Use a smaller value than 10% for more finer adjustments or greater for more course.)

To toggle between scratch (Vinyl) mode (The default) and pitch bending with the jogwheels, you will need to map a button on your controller or a key on your keyboard to the following:

vinyl_mode

This will toggle the jogwheels between vinyl (Scratch) mode and jogwheel (Pitch bend.)

Posted Wed 14 Oct 09 @ 12:00 pm
Hi i am using a Herc MK2 controller. Nothing else.

I adjusted the parameters to 0.1 % but when i twisted the knob it still kept going up by 0.3% a time.

I also tried adjusting the jog wheel to vinyl mode yet it still scratched and didn't nudge. Do you mean i have to assign a key on the keyboard to 'Vinyl_mode' so i can switch between the two different ways of using my jog wheel?

Thanks for replying guys anyways. As usual - software has confused the hell out of me :-P

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 8:58 am
Please check your pitch range setting in CONFIG -> Options The higher this is set, the less precise adjustments you will be able to make.

A pitch range between 8% and 12% is normally optimal.

The mapping for the pitch knob also needs to be changed as explained above, e.g:

PITCH =
param_multiply 10% & pitch

...This will make the pitch knob 10x finer than normal (E.g: If it normally adjusts by 0.5% at a time, it would now adjust by 0.05% at a time, providing the pitch range you are using is capable of this level of precision.)

You can experiment with the smaller values (E.g: 5%), but it's unlikely that you will be able to obtain less than 0.02% adjustments. Even high-end CD players such as Pioneer CDJ-1000 can only obtain 0.02% increments at their smallest pitch range of 6%

vinyl_mode must be assigned to a button (Or a key on your computer's keyboard.) Don't assign it to the jogwheel!

Pressing the button (Or key) will toggle it on and off. When off, the jogwheel will pitch bend when the song is playing.

NOTE It will still scratch for song cueing when paused - VirtualDJ does not have a frame cueing (Stutter) mode as found on some CD players. It supports vinyl-style cueing only.

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 12:00 pm
Thanks!

This has worked perfect. I was questioning the pitch precision because in my older version i was able to make 0.1% adjustments!

I have got the jog wheel on pitch bend, however it could do with being a bit more sensitive. Is there an easy way of changing this setting?

Just wondering why there is now an option for mapping and not for controllers in the new version?

On a good note - REALLY liking the new pro skin on the current version, big improvement.

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 1:00 pm
You should find a sensitivity slider in CONFIG -> Options

You can also modify it directly with VDJscript, e.g:

Change the mapping of the jogwheel from jogwheel to:

param_multiply 200% & jogwheel

(This would make it twice as sensitive as it is now.)

In VDJ v5.2 and earlier, there were fixed built-in mappings for controllers that couldn't be modified (Unless you are a C++ programmer and wrote a plugin.)

In the new v6 version, this is replaced by VDJscript definitions and mappers, allowing users and manufacturers to easily add support for new controllers as they are released, and allowing users to easily change mappings to suit their own preferences if they wish to do so.

There are built-in mappings for a wide variety of controllers, which are now automatically detected. To see them all, go to CONFIG -> Mappings, click on the button to the right of the drop-down list and untick Show only connected devices

Posted Thu 15 Oct 09 @ 1:40 pm
Thanks for the help! Situation resolved.

Posted Fri 16 Oct 09 @ 11:59 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Glad you get it sorted.;)

Posted Fri 16 Oct 09 @ 12:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)