Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: untouched pc tweaks for us vista ,windows 7 djs - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Posted Sun 30 Aug 09 @ 11:19 pm
i did the cache tweak as well as the 2 processor one and my benchmark for my video card went up by 6 points which isnt bad for just a few clicks.

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 7:25 am
Also note, you dont need rivatuner if you are runnin an ATI Video Card as there is an opton in the Catalyst Control Center to turn up the fans. If you are runnin a 4XXX series card you WANT TO TURN UP THE FANS!!! These cards run HOOOTTTTTTTT!!!

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 2:58 pm
do all cards have fans i didn't have a fan option on my 8400m gs when i opened the program to change it.

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 3:00 pm
djsynystr wrote :
i did the cache tweak as well as the 2 processor one and my benchmark for my video card went up by 6 points which isnt bad for just a few clicks.

thats good . see your pc feels alil smother and you get a nice score with vista . my 4 pc tweaks or aimed at gamers and dvs djs ,or anything to do with audio and video.

i have tested over and over 100's and 100's of tweaks and out of that

i now just do these cause they work the best for use dvs dj's and gamers and i only did these tweaks that i have listed to my gig laptop once i knew they where safe .

you don't have to use caution with my tweaks

there 100 % safe and most of them or done by dvs users and pc bench markers. there was a site called music pc that had them on there .
it was a free site and there no longer around .

after my 4 tweaks dont tweak any more. even on windows 7 is alot faster . on one of my tweaks i show you how to turn off the windows 7/vista look and take you back to the windows 95 look . i feel that why would you want to spend video ram on how windows looks .

now there is a 5th otion but use caution on this and this alone.
you do have the option to turn off System restore to get more horse power out of your pc but make sure when you do to turn it back on.

that one i dont miss with that much .i do this once every 30 days cause you dont it will save up to 1 year of System restore points
and that relay slows your pc down

so with turning off System restore use caution make sure that everything on your pc is working 1000% flawless

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 3:06 pm
my score on windows 7 before was 5.6 and its 5.9

it may not seem like much but its hard to get a point out of vista or windows 7

your calculations per second will go up cause of the fact your cpu is not wasting time the the programs i told you guys to turn off

and if you did the cache tweak i told you guys to do . then windows now knows how much cpu cache memory you have now and use's it all .

im not here to dick you guys around in anyway .

these or ture dvs tweak that should be done

vdj will be happy you did them.

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 3:17 pm
happy djing everyone

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 6:34 pm
discobrian24 wrote :
Also note, you dont need rivatuner if you are runnin an ATI Video Card as there is an opton in the Catalyst Control Center to turn up the fans. If you are runnin a 4XXX series card you WANT TO TURN UP THE FANS!!! These cards run HOOOTTTTTTTT!!!

yes they did just add that
im so happy they fixed it
my 4850 runs at 80c with out it. to hot .and thats not even under load .

how ever nvidia does not have this

they should and i wish they did .

i right now have the hd 4850 ,hd 4870 both 1 gb in one pc
8800 gts and my new toy gtx 275 comming in soon in anther pc .
do note that i have 4 decktop pc\'s at home and one loptop im alil nuts when it comes to backing things up lol and i also give my old pc\'s to my bothers and mom and who ever is in my fam.
my new main deck top is in the works with a nice i7 920 which stays cooler than my e8400 :)and uses less power .
my mom will be happy with my pc that u guys seen in the pic :) xmess is around the way to.

anyway this is my temps and yes im a tech nerd lol

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 6:53 pm
djsynystr wrote :
do all cards have fans i didn't have a fan option on my 8400m gs when i opened the program to change it.

yes they do for the most part

rivatuner should give you the option to turn it up

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 6:59 pm
well i have an nvidia 8400M GS in my laptop and this is what i get under Low-Level System Settings

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 8:56 pm

Posted Mon 31 Aug 09 @ 10:24 pm
well i installed fan speed and still no fans showing up anywhere in the program.

Posted Fri 04 Sep 09 @ 9:08 am
I work in the IT industry. I can confirm that these are all good tweaks. I would however recommend leaving windows security center service enabled, even if you disable every single component from it. The "network and sharing center" and network diagnostics utility won't run if windows firewall service is disabled (IIRC, on an XP box right now), and whereas some of you might not care, I use these two tools often enough that it's a hassle to have to enable windows security center, so that the firewall service can manually start itself, so that you can run your network differentials...

I'd also recommend just leaving the windows update service on, and doing only manual updates, no automatics, if you're worried about it popping up during a gig or something. This is just a matter of convenience/preference of course. IF it doesn't bother you to re-enable to update your PC, dont worry about it.

The tips about setting the cores to 2, setting L2 cache etc, are good.

Here are some of my own tweaks for performance...hope I don't duplicate anything. Just my 2 cents.

Start-->Run (or press windows key+R)
-Type services.msc and press enter
-Disable the indexing service. THIS THING IS A HUGE RESOURCE HOG. You'll have to disable it here, and quite possibly in control panel under "indexing options" i believe it is called. This won't affect your VDJ libraries if you use the in-program browser. It will effect searching for an mp3 by opening up the folders in windows and typing the name of it in the search bar though.

Start-->Run
-Type msconfig
-Go to the "startup" tab. Disable nonessential startup items. Typical things I see here a lot that are unnecessary are anything relating to ipod, zune, quicktime, adobe, update manager, AOL. The most obvious things to disable here are anything with "tray" in the name. You should be able to figure out what tray icon (near the clock) each item corresponds to. If you can't, there's always google.
-This helps by preventing useless services from running when your computer starts up, and frees up PC resources so that your computer can focus on VDJ instead of crapware in the back. Be aware that this only disables things from starting when your PC loads, so for example disabling adobe_reader_tray will simply prevent the annoying adobe icon by your clock on bootup, and doesnt prevent you from using adobe when you want to load it.

There are a lot of other things you can do. Scan regularly for spyware/viruses, make sure nothing is bogging you down.

During a gig, disable your antivirus. You dont want it to be scanning everything you load into the decks when you're live, or running an antivirus update.

Posted Sun 06 Sep 09 @ 5:41 am
The tips being posted so far are mostly due to the windows environment itself.

Please be aware that if you are using an ASIO driver, there are some things you can do to get your latency lower and prevent that SKIP or popping/delay in your recordings.

How to get better audio latency (this works for vista, 7, XP as well):
In your BIOS:
-Disable legacy USB support, unless you use it.
-Set PCI bus latency to no lower than 64 cycles. Keep raising it until you get graphics issues, then lower it again. Just like overclocking.
-Update your BIOS.

Update ASIO drivers.

Go to control panel, then system, then advanced, then performance options. If you have an older machine, especially single core, set priority to "background processes".

Deactivate ACPI. No tutorial, advanced users only, at your own risk.

Try using ASIO4all drivers, you'll find much reduced latency from your sound cards drivers most likely, especially if you aren't using ASIO drivers. www.asio4all.com

Anyway, just some more tips I thought of.

Posted Sun 06 Sep 09 @ 5:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)