Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: 3 TOUCHSCREENS SKIN

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I\\\'m finishing a project with 3 touchscreens to control VDJ (something like DJNutz). It will be ready soon to upload it (even if i believe that there will be only a few downloads) and maybe i will post a few photos.

But until then i need one thing from you to help me out with this.

I need to control the browser scrolling with 2 buttons to go up and down, because the scroll bars are quite small for my fingers and VirtualDJ is not allowing us to resize them.

I have tried the command \\\"browser_scroll\\\" in buttons and in sliders, but no result.

Can you figure out any solutions?

I use a virtual on screen keyboard to search (typing) but when i type all i need, and my database comes up with a few songs i want to close the keyboard and scroll through them.

Here is a screenshot of my skin (in action)

Posted Fri 14 Aug 09 @ 7:59 pm
you could try to build bigger arrow keys onto your keyboard, or Pg Up and Pg Dn buttons..

or for your command that dosent quite work, test it out with v5.0 in the version at the top of the skin...

Posted Fri 14 Aug 09 @ 9:53 pm
marksmolinski wrote :
you could try to build bigger arrow keys onto your keyboard, or Pg Up and Pg Dn buttons.....

that is exactly what i dont want to do, because the on screen keyboard doesnt let me view the bottom files.

marksmolinski wrote :
test it out with v5.0 in the version at the top of the skin...

I will try, but i think the only way to make it work is to assign browser_scroll to the jogwheel.

I'll let you know

Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 8:10 am
No, even in 5. ver it doesnt work this way.

I believe that i have to assign to a "circle" slider action. Something like this....
Quote :
<slider action"browser_scroll" orientation="circle">
<pos x="" y="" (the center of the circle)/>
<size width="" height=""/>
??
??
</slider>

but i didnt find any example how to fill the gaps. It seems that no one has ever used this "circle" slider before.

Any help from the Skinmasters?

Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 8:50 am
This should do what you need:

<button action="browser_scroll +1"> ( where +1 = lines down in browser)
<pos x="..." y="..."/>
<size width="..." height="..."/>
<over x="..." y="..."/>
<down x="..." y="..."/>
</button>

<button action="browser_scroll -1"> ( where -1 = lines up in browser)
<pos x="..." y="..."/>
<size width="..." height="..."/>
<over x="..." y="..."/>
<down x="..." y="..."/>
</button>

Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 9:53 am
Yes !..my friend..it works..thanks.

Are there also commands for pagedown and page up? Or do i have to count lines and write something like this

browser_scroll +24 and browser_scroll -24 ?????

Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 10:42 am
No command for page up or down to my knowledge. But as you typed will work fine!!

Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 1:41 pm
djnutzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Very interesting concept! I had issues with the size of some buttons. There is a learning curve involved with using a touchscreen as a control surface. I have plans to re-tool my graphics to make use of the new features in VDJ. Some questions I have for the group:

Is it possible to have a bank of buttons to operate Sonique for example. I can label what button does what via photoshop, so there is no need for a scrolling title. Then each button could be assigned to specific Sonique Visualizations.

Is there a command for creating a button to edit or delete cue points. I know you can right click on the white marker in the waveform to delete, but on a touch screen, that thing is so small you can't get it with your finger. I have toyed with adding a wireless mouse for some of the precision work like this, but I am striving to keep the extra stuff I have to carry to a minimum.

The screens are still working nicely BTW...Not a show goes by where someone doesn't comment on how cool of a machine it is. Now if I can just figure out a multi touch fix...

Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 4:24 pm
DjNutz,
your equipment was my inspiration actually. I have searched a lot and i found a few things about touchscreen setup.
1. You don't have to buy a touchscreen. There are some kits that make your TFT working with touch, for about 70$. I had second thoughts about them as i thought that there would be much latency, but fortunately they are fast!
2. Multiple point touching. I saw in some videos of PcDJPro (or something like that), that you were playing without an external mixer and i thought that it was possible. It is, but you can't play with both hands, so i decided to build a 3 touchscreen system including an external mixer.
I can not afford a 1U Rane mixer but i will certainely buy a Denon DN X050 (2U) to fit to my system. For the time beiing i use a 3U which take a lot of space but this will change soon.
We all hope that Windows 7 will bring new updates for touchscreen issues such as multipoint touch.
3. I tried to make a desktop combining all 3 screens to one (3 X 1280 X 1024 = 3840X1024) because otherwise i would have problems with opening on maximize VirtualDJ (known issue). I wanted to do this with video cards (2 of them) and at the end i realised that this is not possible. The only soloution i guess is to buy a vga splitter.
4. I use a on screen virtual keyboard and the system works perfectly and flawless.
5. I have asked from VDJ Team to allow us to put browser in to pannels (use browser element more than once in an xml). Until then 3 screens are necessery, but in the future we could have only 2 (for each deck) and show the browser to the deck not playing using pannels.

If you want to modify or create a skin for you i would gladly do. Send me some buttons shots and i will make a version to fit to your needs. I can add buttons to edit (name) your cues for example, (set and delete are on the current skin)

In a few hours i will upload my skin even if i believe that there will be only a few downloads.. It's allmost ready ...

BTW. I'm building a customized case to fit to my equipment. It will be about 140X40X40 cm. I don't know about the weight, but i'm strong enough...hehe

Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 5:28 pm

Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 @ 8:13 pm
My system actually has 2 video cards. You need to use 2 cards so you have 4 video outputs. 3 for the 3 screens and one for the projection. My desktop is 3584x1024. Not only am I using 3 screens, the 2 player screens are set in portrait mode. So 3 screens for one large desk top and two of the screens are rotated. The one problem I have is you have to load the skin each time when you start...due to the error you spoke of. Not that big of a deal really. Getting the 2 cards to work in the same system and getting the desktop working was probably the hardest part of configuring the whole thing. As for a VGA splitter, I don't think a VGA splitter will give you 2 separate outputs. I think a splitter just clones a single output. For my system to work, each of the 3 screens needs to be it's own entity and control surface.

A splitter to create to 2 player screens would mean whatever you do on one screen, the other will mimic it. Video cards only do 2 outputs at a time even though some have 3, I have yet to see a card that will do more that 2 at the same time. So even with a VGA splitter, you still would need one more video out for a projector, unless you aren't doing video...

My system is built right into a store bought coffin case. The whole thing weighs about 60lbs.

Posted Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 11:07 am
When i said vga splitter i meant this http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/ This is the only way to make 3 monitors to become ONE big desktop and be able to run skins on maximize without errors.
If you are using 2 vga cards (as i do) you are allowed to create (expand) a desktop only on the first 2 monitors (first vga card) and the 3rd monitor will be in dual mode. It works, but you have to make a litle trick first. When i start VirtualDJ a prompt appears telling me that i use a skin larger than my resolution. I choose CANCEL, then VirtualDJ starts with Basic VirtualDJ Skin. I go to config, i change to my skin and i'm ready. Be sure that VirtualDJ is NOT on maximize when you start.

@DjNutz where does this number 3584X1024 comes from?

Posted Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 12:07 pm
the two side screens are turned to portrait mode. Essentially they are 768x1024

Posted Mon 24 Aug 09 @ 6:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)