Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: House + Breakbeat loops

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

ive got hundreds of breakbeat and house loops but they are in mp3 format. I was thinking on Virtual dj as a substitute to Ableton live. I prefer VDJ since it seems more user friendly. However im concerned on how to make VDJ read the beats and match these mp3 loops to the main track.

Is there a way of transforming them into .vdj (the samples format for Vdj if im not mistaken)?
what can i do to use all my samples library?

thanks in advance! ;-)

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 10:47 am

You dont need the .vdj format no more:)

You can load mp3s or waves directly into sample slots

The .vdj format is just OGG, that has a better accurracy for loops, as mp3 but aditional info, that may lead to a tiny "hessitation" before next loop, but not always

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 10:49 am
my flatmate has got Virtual Dj 5.2 for mac. tried with some mp3 loops, but they just keep loopin without following the bpm and the change in bpm of the song. therefore they mismatch.

however, with the samples that come with the program (push.vdj; this this this.vdj, put your hands up.vdj ...) you can sync on the song....

what can i do?

thanks!

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 1:04 pm

thats because they are loaded as jingles... loaded straight into a slot.

To make VDJ know their bpm etc, open the mp3 sample file you got, in one of the decks in VDJ.

Then VDJ will find its BPM.

And if you want a loop, make your loop, then press record in a sample slot (and save too, if you want to save it)

And you have a new .vdj sample for later use :)

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 1:30 pm
so wuts the difference from the a jingle and a loop?? other than one sync its self and the other one repeats...wut would a jingle be used for??

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 1:38 pm

jingle could for example be a radio jingle...

"You are tuned into DJ XXX at VDJ Radio.."

But the main difference is how you load a jingle/loop into sampler slot.

If you load directly, VDJ has no info about its bpm and gain etc...

If you load it to a deck, and THEN record it as a jingle or loop, VDJ has info about the jingle, and it can for example be locked to a songs beat .

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 1:44 pm
yeah, we tried loading the mp3 tracks into a deck. however the tracks are so short (1-3 secs) that vdj has no time to find the bpm..... they dont seem to appear up in the BPM section..... and therefore i can record them into the samples section but the bpm are not saved.... so no matching samples with songs....

any ideas?

thanks! ;-)

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 3:34 pm
well, if they are that short, they dont have a bpm...
Its just jingles right?

Vocal words?

Just save it as a jingle in the sampler, or load directly to sampler slots

If they are music pieces, its really too short of VDJ to calculate them, but you can set the BPM manually, then loop.

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 3:40 pm
If they are two short, alter them before loading them into vdj and run them three of four times until they are long enough then bring them back into vdj

Posted Wed 21 Jan 09 @ 4:41 pm
well, if they are that short, they dont have a bpm...
Its just jingles right?

Vocal words?

Just save it as a jingle in the sampler, or load directly to sampler slots

If they are music pieces, its really too short of VDJ to calculate them, but you can set the BPM manually, then loop.

how to set bpm manually? is there any "tap" function?!

Posted Thu 22 Jan 09 @ 7:01 am
santdPRO InfinityMember since 2004
jolulure wrote :
Hi,

ive got hundreds of breakbeat and house loops but they are in mp3 format. I was thinking on Virtual dj as a substitute to Ableton live. I prefer VDJ since it seems more user friendly. However im concerned on how to make VDJ read the beats and match these mp3 loops to the main track.

Is there a way of transforming them into .vdj (the samples format for Vdj if im not mistaken)?
what can i do to use all my samples library?

thanks in advance! ;-)

If this is what you want to do use Deckadance by image line. Their samplers sync perfectly with each other and to the mp3's playing on the decks.

I use vdj for basic two deck mixing and effects.

Posted Thu 22 Jan 09 @ 9:07 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)