Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Akai MPD16 Controller

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello everyone! I was curious if it is posiible to use the Akai MPD16 PAd controller to trigger samples and what not from virtual dj

Link:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKAMPD16
if not, what software would one reccomend to use for sampleing?

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 8:38 pm
please some one help!

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 9:04 pm
joetmenPRO InfinityMember since 2005
just in my opinion, the akai mpd16 pad is not a good controller to use with vdj...
it's the ideal thing for music softwares that have to control musical instruments like drums, cymbals and other...
why don't you use the uc33e?
but also this mixtable is "out of date"...
and, what do you think about the mixer ecler nuo4?
it's a midi controller for virtual dj...

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 9:08 pm
well, what im looking for is something that i can press buttons and have them play an assigned sample, something computer based.

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 9:14 pm
joetmenPRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posted Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 9:33 pm
Hi!
I've got the MPD16 and the UC33e.
I use MPD16 to kill high/med/bass and to make loops.
I use UC33e for the samples.
You can use the MPD16 to control start/stop samples too (temporary ou not), but you won't be able to control the volume..

If I had to buy the MPD16 again, I would do it! :)

(sorry for my poor english.. :) )

guig0uille

Posted Thu 22 Jun 06 @ 1:34 pm
pcl73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
I've buy a MPD16 in the same time I buy my HDJC MK2. It was the first time I go to a real DJ store (I was from 2 hours from this store) !

I just finish the setup of my MPD16 with VDJ Pro 3.4 and I'm very exciting. First at all, I use it like a keyboard (Shortcut) I've setup many loop in bank A and Effect + Sample in bank 2. Buttons are big and easy to use. And the bonus : I've setup the "fader" to be able to control the volume of sample. All sample volume at the same time.

Yes, I can do the samething with the keyboard, but I think it's a fastest way to do some trick !

Posted Sat 29 Jul 06 @ 2:51 am
i have been planning on getting the mpd16 for a while. it would be great for samples loops effects

Posted Sat 29 Jul 06 @ 10:21 pm
Hey, for you guys with the mpd16, does it come with any drum sequencing software? I'm looking for a step up from my alesis sr-16;^]

Posted Mon 31 Jul 06 @ 10:08 pm
pcl73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Timmyg1978 wrote :
Hey, for you guys with the mpd16, does it come with any drum sequencing software? I'm looking for a step up from my alesis sr-16;^]

Here is the list of software inclued in mine :

DC Vocoder : The DC VOCODER is a 50-band vocoder that offers high intelligibility and flexible sound shapingfacilities.
Vocoders work by splitting an incoming audio modulation source into separate frequency bands
using bandpass filters. These are then used to control envelope followers. The carrier signal is
also split into separate frequency bands using bandpass filters and these feed amplifiers whose
level is controlled by the modulator’s envelope follower.

DECABUDDY : The DECABUDDY is a multi-channel harmony generator. It is capable of generating up to 9 artificial voices, that are mixed together with the one original; hence the name DecaBuddy (deca=10). It takes a monophonic audio signal and genenrates up to four harmony lines plus a unison voice that
can track the audio input. Harmonies can be pre-programmed by preset or user scales or, more
conveniently, can be ‘played’ via MIDI (with appropriate VST host software). Various controls allow
you to change the tonal quality of the harmony voices.

Pitch Right : The PITCH RIGHT is a real-time pitch corrector that is ideal for correcting vocals that are slightly(or considerably) out of tune. Of course, the PITCH RIGHT is not just limited to vocals but any
monophonic instrument can be processed. The PITCH RIGHT offers a wide range of preset scales
to choose from. User programmable scales can also be set.

QuadComp: The QUADCOMP is a multi-band compressor/expander that can be used for mastering purposes. Whilst it is possible to use an ordinary compressor for tightening up and adding punch to a stereo mix, it is very common that low frequencies can cause ‘pumping’ effects on the overall signal.
However, by splitting the signal into four different frequency bands, each frequency region can be
separately processed.
This is achieved on the QUADCOMP using a series of crossover filters. These filters are constructed
as linear phase FIR filters in order to produce a signal path which is perfectly free of phase errors.

Rotator: The ROTATOR is a plug-in that uses modelling technology to accurately reproduce the sound of arotating speaker.
Such speakers (also known as ‘Leslies’ after the company who manufactured them) are widely
used with organs to give a more animated sound. Basically, the bass rotor drum and treble horn
are rotating arourd, while radiating out the sound of the respective stationary speakers, and this
has the effect of (literally) throwing the sound around to create a rich stereo effect. As the speakers
move, not only does the sound move but, due to the Doppler effect - the phenomena that cause
ambulance sirens to change pitch as they drive past - a subtle pitch shift is also achieved.

And this utility : This MPD16 Utility Software is used with the MPD16 to set its parameters easily on the PC. When the MPD16 is connected to the PC via the USB cable, all the settings of the MPD16 are loaded and displayed on the screen. The changes made on the screen are reflected to the MPD16 in real time.

Sorry for this long post but since im not really good in english, I'm not able to explain in my own word ! I copy-paste from the PDF files on my CD !

Pascal

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 4:03 am
I'm looking to buy! Please help:
Can anyone who owns the Akai mpd16 tell me if there is a way to program keys to perform an accion? For example: Under Keyboard shortcuts you can set Control+f1 keys or shift+(any key). Can this be done on this machine with 2 keys? This is essencial for me to re-trigger my samples.

If this is not possible with the AKAI, does anyone know if its possible with the UC33e

Thanks

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 8:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)