Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mac Version of VDJ CONFIRMED!!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hey all you Mac users, it's okay to buy and/or upgrade to VDJ 3.4 [take advantage of the current special price!!!] because "dj-in-norway" [8 star member of the Support Team] has confirmed that there will be a Mac version released! I'm not sure if he/she meant of version 3.4 or of version 4.0, but WHO CARES?!!! 3.4 is cool and 4 is supposed to be awesome!

We just have to continue to use Boot Camp and * throw-up a little * win xp * throw-up a lot more * on our Macs for now as we have been doing until the Mac version is released and then like me, you can un-partition your Macs hard drive and trash windows altogether!!!

GOOD MOVE ATOMIX!!! It really didn't make sense to not support a platform with a steadily increasing user base when ALL of your competition already does. I'm sure Numark had a role to play in this decision as well since a major company like them would not be happy about not being able to compete with their competition on ALL fronts.

Here is the post by "dj-in-norway" [and the link]: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/50961/General_Discussion/Price_on_VDJ_4_0.html

Posted Sun 04 Jun 06 @ 17:05:53
Quote :
what???

Its been posted here a LONG time ago!;) hehe

but to make it clear : THERE WILL BE A MAC VERSION OF VDJ

There you go people! Start buying!!! =)

Thanks Norway!

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 3:53 am
Awesome! Anybody want my copy of trektor? ;-)

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 4:31 am
CoreyDavis wrote :
Awesome! Anybody want my copy of trektor? ;-)

I dumped FS2 a couple of months back because of NAIVE Instruments [no, I didn't misspell that, they are naive] incompetence, horrid customer support and inability to ship on time and even start a Beta testing program within a reasonable amout of time.

In January of this year, they posted on their site that they would ship an Intel Mac version of Traktor DJ STudio 3 in Q2 of this year [April - June]. They only BEGAN REQUESTING BETA testers for the Intel Mac version in April.

I just popped over to their site just now and they have quietly changed their ship date to Q3 of 2006: http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=intelmac_us

Also, recently posted on their thread entitled "Traktor 3 and Intel MAC Beta Testing": http://www.nativeinstruments.de/forum_us/showthread.php?p=219960#post219960

"May 31 2006 The Universal Binaries Beta Testing has been postponed. Release is now tentatively expected in Q3 2006. Beta testing may begin in Midsummer 2006. Users that have already signed up will remain eligible and will be notifed when test commences. In the meantime if you meet the requirements below please feel free to follow the instructions and your details will be held until testing begins."

Who cares? Us Mac users will have VDJ 4 and Numark Virtual Vinyl [hopefully] BEFORE they even BEGIN beta testing!!!

What a bunch of a$$ clowns. Here's an email I recieved last week from them regarding the Beta testing program:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Subject: MacTel Universal Binaries Beta Update [Mon May 29 2006]

Hi, as promised I have an update on the status of the Traktor 3.0 Universal Binaries Beta. Unfortunately the news I have is not good.
As noted in the last update the development team has the code working well in all areas except graphics performance. In this one area small improvements have yielded very large increases in CPU load . As a result the application produces very high CPU loads to obtain performance comparable to Traktor running on the PowerPC platform. The development team currently feel re-factoring in this area is needed to correct these issues. This has significant schedule impacts both internally and externally to the Traktor product group at NI. Due to this and other factors, re-planning has been undertaken, as a result there will be a delay in the release of the Traktor 3.0 Universal Binaries code.

Regrettably, we wish to announce the postponement of the universal binaries beta test cycle at this time. It is still expected that the beta cycle will go ahead and current estimates are that it will begin in mid-late Q3, 2006. All users that have applied to participate will be contacted by email when the beta is ready to begin and will be eligible to participate when it does so. If you have received this message by Email then please assume you are on the list of active testers for the universal binaries beta.

We understand and expect people to be very disappointed by this news. N.I. feels it is not a responsible action to users to release the underperforming universal binaries code, when its known to not afford the performance levels users will expect and demand. It is still Native Instruments commitment to release regular updates to Traktor 3.0 code. An update will be available for registered users in the near future. Optimizations presently in the PowerPC code will improve performance for both PowerPC and MacTel platforms. Generally speaking most fixes in the update will apply to both Mac and PC systems. Further information will be posted when available.

In the meantime users wishing to make best use of Traktor 3.0 on MacTel hardware are encouraged to participate in the Traktor Forums at
<http://www.native-instruments.com/forum_us/forumdisplay.php?f=106>. To aid users migrating to MacTel hardware, sticky threads titled 'MacTel Optimization - OSX' & 'MacTel Optimization - Win-XP' have been created to provide information for users to tune systems to make best use of the hardware. If you are aware of tips, tools or hardware advice that users can benefit from, we encourage you to join in and let everyone know how to make best use of the hardware using current Traktor versions. If you need help tuning windows, please don't hesitate to ask, either by email or in the forums.

Thanks ,
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

There you go Atomix. Now you know what is going on [or not going on] over at NAIVE Instruments and with TDJS 3 for Intel Mac's.

Now kick the crap out of their product even more by beating them to market!!!

And thanks for commiting to a Mac version of VDJ 4!!!

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 5:05 am

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 9:40 am
When have Numark every actully said there will be a Mac version of VDJ (which is what caused a lot of this in the first place)? Good luck to all Mac owners though.

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 10:22 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
if Mac version will work as PC version, i will buy mac book pro instead of new PC laptop ;) v3.4 works perfect for me!

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 10:34 am
dj_cashPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@ ConQuest
ConQuest wrote :
...I'm not sure if he/she meant of version 3.4 or of version 4.0...

Just want to say that dj-in-norway is a HE..

But it's really cool that it will be a MAC version of VDJ..!

Cash

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 3:26 pm
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
This is awesome news!!
This is about the only application holding me back. Guess i will be getting my macbook sooner than i thought!

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 4:39 pm
How well does it run on a Macbook running windows with bootcamp?
Are there any issues with the drivers? Is it stable?

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 4:42 pm
jchiar wrote :
How well does it run on a Macbook running windows with bootcamp?
Are there any issues with the drivers? Is it stable?

VDJ Console Edition works fine with Boot Camped windows. It's not VDJ that I don't trust though, it's windows. It'll sure will be nice to dump that junk OS off my hard drive when the Mac version of VDJ comes out. =)

You're only as strong as your weakest link and guess what the weak link is in a Mac hardware + windows OS + VDJ chain is... windows OS.

Replace that weak link with Mac OS and life is good!!!

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 7:46 pm
Infact, windows and electricity are so bad that you should do away with both ;-)

But seriously, before you buy you should check that a windows license will work with the mac software, if it does, what are you waiting for :-)

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 8:06 pm
Andrew87 wrote :
When have Numark every actully said there will be a Mac version of VDJ (which is what caused a lot of this in the first place)? Good luck to all Mac owners though.

A major company like Numark isn't dumb enough to not compete with their competition [Serato, Final Scratch, Ms. Pinky] on EVERY platform that the competition is on.

Since those others already have had Mac versions of their software for awhile now, I am sure that Numark would not allow for there NOT to be a Mac version of VDJ when they come to market with Virtual Vinyl, which is VDJ 4 anyway.

Considering that the large amount of club and radio dj's that I spin with have pretty much ALL switched to Mac in the past year either after they had windows [not the DJ software] take a dive on them personally on-air or at a live performance, or after hearing of that occurrening and deciding to avoid it before it happened to them.

They're mostly all professionals and are in studio all the time, so they were already aware that Macs are dominant in professional environments because of their reliability [from quality control] and security [Unix variant OS].

As for "When have Numark every actully said there will be a Mac version of VDJ", I've just seen it posted a bunch of times so I didn't question it. Until yesterday though, I was not ABSOLUTELY sure that Atomix would release a Mac version of VDJ 4 even though that is the software that Numark's Virtual Vinyl is going to be using. i was 99.9% sure, i just needed that last .1% to be sure.

Yesterday i got that last .1% of confirmation when "Dj In Norway" [8 star "Support Team" member] here on the VDJ forums confirmed that there will be a Mac version of VDJ 4.

That's good as gold for me.

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 8:10 pm
Relax, I only asked a simple question which I actually wanted to know the answer to. And without meaning to cause offence to staff, they are only human afterall, posts had been made before regarding v4 being made a free upgrade to existing owners which is why I bought the software. Then a few weeks later staff ended up saying that they hadn't made a decision and that we shouldn't expect the update to be free.

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 8:27 pm
Upgrade will be free.... Officially posted from Corporate Staff...

We never said anything differently ;) Dont worry Andrew:)

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 8:55 pm
Yep I know it's free now, there was a small period of a few days about a month ago that there was some uncertainty but it was dealt with quickly.

Posted Mon 05 Jun 06 @ 9:00 pm
conquest, I realize the weekest link was windows. thas why i was wondering how VDJ ran on a bootcamped mac.

I was trying to see how the performance was on a mac running windows..
I am looking to get rid of my laptop and replace it with a 13 inch Mac book. I would like to be able to Dj with it will VDJ 4.0 comes out for the MAC OS x...

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 2:36 am
Andrew87 wrote :
Relax, I only asked a simple question which I actually wanted to know the answer to. And without meaning to cause offence to staff, they are only human afterall, posts had been made before regarding v4 being made a free upgrade to existing owners which is why I bought the software. Then a few weeks later staff ended up saying that they hadn't made a decision and that we shouldn't expect the update to be free.

Hehe. I thought you were just being argumentative. =P

I had never heard anyone say that they didn't think that the upgrade to v4 from v3.4 would be free.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 3:20 am
Hmm, was actually two months ago, but I knew it did exist. See here for the original post, you can see by my reply I wasn't too happy (by the way JermeK's post was after an other staff member(s) had stated the update would be free). But it's all good now, v4 upgrade will be free for existing customers; hopefully Windows licenses will work for Mac too, all helps the community to grow.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 3:30 am
jchiar wrote :
I was trying to see how the performance was on a mac running windows..
I am looking to get rid of my laptop and replace it with a 13 inch Mac book. I would like to be able to Dj with it will VDJ 4.0 comes out for the MAC OS x...

I can confirm that it works [performance-wise] as well as any windows box with the same specs would.

Also, to back up my claim, this from an article posted today: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1788

"Numerous industry 'shoot-outs' have compared the refreshed Intel-based Macs with their Windows equivalents and found Apple machines to perform equal to or better than competitors with costs roughly equivalent," they said.

Also of interest from that same article [and regarding the mis-conception that Macs are overpriced], and as I've always said, "Mac's cost less than a COMPARABLY equipped windows box and they last 2 - 3x longer, working reliably and securely the entire time":

"A recent comparison of Apple's 17-inch flagship MacBook pro with a similarly equipped Dell XPS M1710 shows that the Dell machine costs $3199, compared with $2799 for the Mac. Additionally, the analysts point out that Apple bundles its iLife '06 digital lifestyle suite of applications with each consumer Mac it sells. They estimate third-party Windows equivalents would cost around $360 -- assuming $40 for Catwalk Music Creator (GarageBand), $70 for Microsoft Frontpage (iWeb), $90 for Adobe Photoshop Elements (iPhoto) and $80 each for Pinnacle Studio (iMovie) and Roxio Creator (iDVD).

The article ends with this:

"So far, Apple's digital strategy appears to be working. According to the retailers surveyed by Pacific Crest, an "increasing" number of Windows switchers are migrating to the Mac platform."

These consumers are said to be making the switch for variety of reasons, such as the Mac's dual boot option, improved stability and security. But they also dig the "aesthetic appeal" of Apple's products.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 3:36 am
Andrew87 wrote :
...hopefully Windows licenses will work for Mac too,...

I was just thiinking the same thing.

Maybe DJ-In-Norway [or any Support member on these forums who knows for sure] can confirm that an upgrade [actually called a "cross-grade"] from the windows version of VDJ 3.4 to the Mac version of VDJ 4 will be free.

ANYONE privy to this information want to shed some light on this please?!!!

Andrew87 wrote :
all helps the community to grow.

Yup. =)

Posted Tue 06 Jun 06 @ 3:43 am
87%