Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Manipulate files outside of database. Easy way to rescan all for missing files?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have been experimenting with a few things, one of them being manipulating files in bulk outside of VDJ (using Swinsain and Jaikoz). In doing so, it seems right now the only way I stumble across orphaned files from this move is clicking on said files. In Serato I can tell it to do a bulk rescan of all id3 tags with one click (all files), and then it will flag things missing.

I thought that doing something like recursing a folder and then telling it to do batch > reload tags that it would do the same, but that seems to do nothing. Something I am missing here?

Posted Sun 18 Nov 18 @ 11:53 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I don't know when exactly the DB flag for missing file gets updated, but you can try with a filter folder like this and see if your missing files get listed:

exists = 0

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 9:15 am
I do have that as a filter, the problem is it does not actively catch it unless the files have gone through some kind of pass to verify if they are there or not.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 3:50 pm
Right click on your root folder and select add to search database. Then the filter should pick up the missing ones.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 3:55 pm
That did not work.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 9:26 pm
Well I guess the simpple rule is not to move or change files outside VDJ.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 18 @ 9:35 pm
That would be a good rule if there were some slightly better file management tools. For instance, part of my management is using Jaikoz to help with tagging files, imprinting a signature on the file for verification, and a renaming scheme for the file. You can do some of this in VDJ but with some caveats. For instance, it seems to rename the file of you do a copy action, but move not only does not rename anything, but seems to do nothing at all. To delete things you have to seemingly remove from database, then delete the file, or it's orphaned (which does add a layer of protection just in case if you somehow get through that first step of deletion and at least you know what is missing.

Some benefits, some drawbacks.

Posted Tue 20 Nov 18 @ 1:28 am
Figured it out. Settings > Database > Remove Missing Files From Database

Posted Tue 20 Nov 18 @ 1:38 am
Simply do your tagging etc before you add the files to the VDJ database.

My routine is: Download tracks, tag tracks, add them to VDJ, backup tracks and VDJ data to cloud.

Posted Tue 20 Nov 18 @ 8:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)