Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: star ratings still not read correctly on another laptop ! (tried again today and does NOT work )

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So once again here's what I do:

2 laptops.

i do my ratings on the first.... then transfer files to the other...

select folder and batch reload all tags.

half of my star ratings aren't there!

pictures included and folder in a seperate Wetransfer mail..

Please fix this as I'm not interested in using the Database sync method.. and I want to actually be able to write ID3 tags stars correctly from within VDJ 8

oh by the way:::: when I do it from within explorer (right click / properties / change star rating / apply ) then it reads all the tags like it should!

build 2325.995

Posted Tue 16 Jun 15 @ 4:38 pm
I mailed the entire folder to Adion via a wetransfer. Please guys

Posted Tue 16 Jun 15 @ 4:39 pm
do u have auto write tags on? if not u have to do that manually on all your files to have the tags update.

Posted Tue 16 Jun 15 @ 6:08 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Unrelated but why are you taking photo's of your screen?

Use the Prt Sc key and paste into paint.

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 2:59 am
locodog wrote :

you sir truly are my hero. Thanks for your constructive and to-the-point comment.

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 4:48 am
wickedmix wrote :
do u have auto write tags on? if not u have to do that manually on all your files to have the tags update.

i did both in several instances: auto write on and manual write.. Still messes up. Thanks

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 4:49 am
Timm United wrote :
locodog wrote :

you sir truly are my hero. Thanks for your constructive and to-the-point comment.

And I took the photo so it immediately syncs with google keep. The laptop where it's from has no internet. It would be so very very very kind if you all would stop thinking or suggesting im a retard. peace

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 4:50 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I tried to reproduce your issue and couldnt. Rating/Stars look good here.

Here is what i did.
I rated a few tracks using VirtualDJ. Made sure i Wrote/Saved Tags for those files.
Closed VirtualDJ, removed my database (so that the files dont have any VDJ fields info) and relaunched.
Went into Settings->Options , changed the GetRatingfromTags to Yes.
Stars were there. And for the focused folder, all i had to do was to select all, right-click->Reload Tags.

Hope that helps.

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 6:42 am
djdad wrote :

Here is what i did.
I rated a few tracks using VirtualDJ. Made sure i Wrote/Saved Tags for those files.
Closed VirtualDJ, removed my database (so that the files dont have any VDJ fields info) and relaunched.
Stars were there. And for the focused folder, all i had to do was to select all, right-click->Reload Tags.

Hope that helps.

Wow. Really? GetRatingfromTags was YES the entire process. so was the SetTagsAuto ... I even tried with SetTagsAuto off and then manually write the tags.
So thank you for replying but no it doesn't help that much =)

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 9:04 am
Timm United wrote :
djdad wrote :

Here is what i did.

Hope that helps.

Wow. Really? GetRatingfromTags was YES the entire process. so was the SetTagsAuto ... I even tried with SetTagsAuto off and then manually write the tags.
So thank you for replying but no it doesn't help that much =)

and maybe you should try with more files and transferring to another pc etc. It actually doesn't work stable. (unfortunately never has) I will now have to settle with a workaround ... (Tag & Rename windows program)

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 9:35 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Have you tried to select files and Right-Click ->Batch->Reload Tags ?
VirtualDj is not reading Tags on every launch . So you need to "force - re-reading" somehow.

And just to troubleshoot here... on which step there is an issue ? VirtualDj is not saving the Tags on your 1st computer or not reading them on your 2nd one ?

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 10:16 am
@Timm, what files do you copy/transfer? I'm not attacking you, I'm only looking for some help.
please excuse me for butting in here, but, I've noticed this(or at least something very similar) for a long time when I try to sync my 2 laptops and 1 desktop,not all of the changes are taken over ... bear with me.
I use a programm called robomirror to backup/restore my files, all of my drives/names/filepaths are identical on all of my machines and I have the setup of C/Music and C/documents/Vdj .
But, even after I sync it all, backwards forwards and even sideways, a lot of songs show up as if they were never played on this/ that or the other machine, I've tried reloading tags etc. etc.etc. and I can't figure it out either, I always thought that i was making a mistake somewhere, please convince me that I was.

Posted Wed 17 Jun 15 @ 4:33 pm
djdad wrote :
Have you tried to select files and Right-Click ->Batch->Reload Tags ?
VirtualDj is not reading Tags on every launch . So you need to "force - re-reading" somehow.

And just to troubleshoot here... on which step there is an issue ? VirtualDj is not saving the Tags on your 1st computer or not reading them on your 2nd one ?

Hi DJDad. Thanks for your interest in my issue.
everytime after transfer I batch reloaded the tags as I understand you have to force it to re-read. Only some tags are there and some are not. (see above pictures) However if I change the rating on the first laptop using the windows native rating system (right click mp3 / properties / classification / change star value / apply) then it sees all of them in the second laptop. And there is a small windows program called Tag & rename and when I use that there is no problem as well....

about your second question. I have to check because I didnt re read them on the first computer. Only on the second laptop. However I think it just doesn't save them correctly as it works fine with the windows rating method (above) and the Tag& rename method as stated above url: www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

thanks

Posted Thu 18 Jun 15 @ 4:56 am
Ive decided to simply go for the database sync option since I cant trust the actual id3tags being written correctly. One extra remark though the VDJ ratings and windows mp3 star classifications do not correspond.

5 stars corresponsds, 4 stars corresponds, 3 stars correspond, but from 2 stars till zero they do no longer match. ( ie 2 stars vdj is 3 stars in windows )

maybe interesting to look at.

Posted Thu 18 Jun 15 @ 2:55 pm
I've read through the above and hope that I am not duplicating this comment (I don't think so) but when I copy files from computer to computer and I want VDJ to read all the information I have added, such as Ratings, I have to be sure to copy the Database.xml file too. I do all my rating, colouring, comments, etc. on my main gig computer but then copy to my backup but always copy the database file too and everything shows up. There have been a couple of occasions when it has taken a little while to read on the backup, but they are always there.

Hoping that I haven't misunderstood completely what is wrong but my backup is identical to my main hence why I copy the database file also.

Posted Fri 19 Jun 15 @ 5:29 am
KJ Erkin wrote :
I've read through the above and hope that I am not duplicating this comment (I don't think so) but when I copy files from computer to computer and I want VDJ to read all the information I have added, such as Ratings, I have to be sure to copy the Database.xml file too. I do all my rating, colouring, comments, etc. on my main gig computer but then copy to my backup but always copy the database file too and everything shows up. There have been a couple of occasions when it has taken a little while to read on the backup, but they are always there.

Hoping that I haven't misunderstood completely what is wrong but my backup is identical to my main hence why I copy the database file also.

Hey no problem. THanks for joinning in. I know about the database copying etc. however Id3 star ratings should write correctly into the files itself but.. I've given up already... So Ill just use the dbase method. cheers

Posted Fri 19 Jun 15 @ 7:31 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Thanks for sending the files. I had some time to look at them now, and found 2 problems preventing the tags to be written correctly.
The first was that some files were tagged using a very old and not commonly used version of ID3, namely ID3v2.2
VDJ doesn't support writing ID3v2.2, so this will be fixed by converting ID3v2.2 tags to ID3v2.3 tags when you try to write the tag.
The second problem found was that for some mp3 tags, VDJ was not able to increase the size of the tag, so if there was not enough room to write extra information tag writing would fail. This will also be fixed, making all the files you sent write the rating correctly from within vdj.

These fixes will be available in one of the next updates.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 15 @ 3:38 am
Adion wrote :
Thanks for sending the files. I had some time to look at them now, and found 2 problems preventing the tags to be written correctly.
The first was that some files were tagged using a very old and not commonly used version of ID3, namely ID3v2.2
VDJ doesn't support writing ID3v2.2, so this will be fixed by converting ID3v2.2 tags to ID3v2.3 tags when you try to write the tag.
The second problem found was that for some mp3 tags, VDJ was not able to increase the size of the tag, so if there was not enough room to write extra information tag writing would fail. This will also be fixed, making all the files you sent write the rating correctly from within vdj.

These fixes will be available in one of the next updates.

Great news Adion! Thanks a lot for looking into it! And always happy to help you guys improve the software I use A LOT of hours a week! Thanks for all your work Cheers ;-)

Posted Sat 20 Jun 15 @ 6:13 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)