Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Where are the DEVS... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Atomix needs to be more transparent. The developers should interact more with the users, maybe give a road map, create a bug list with possible fixes for next build and so forth. I develop for android and over at xda the DEVS make things clear about their work. I know VDJ is closed source so we are not asking to view code, all we want is better communication with the team. No disrespect to the admins and moderators who monitor these threads but half the times you guys don't know much more than the average user and seem to be kept out of the development phase.

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 7:16 am

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 7:59 am
AdvokutPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Valid information and important to know for every user

But tbh THAT is what sky is talking about ;) I don't think you teamers and most importantly the DEVS do not frequent the mentioned threads as much as needed, or else you would know just what dj sky-trendsetters is talking about

Maybe you'll find a few minutes to introduce the DEVS to us, because there's nothing known about who they are. Also please for gods sake, read at least the last few pages on the "timecode users" thread in the beta forum. Think this will explain a lot on its on

Greetings, A.

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 11:44 am
the devs are posting and replying in those threads, and timecode is being worked on - hopefully rock solid real soon..

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 12:06 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Will be interesting to see if any actual devs reply to this thread..

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 12:26 pm
There is a thread where they all have introduced themselves before but I'm on my phone and not searching for it.

And no I'm not defending them cause I'm just as frustrated with these timecode issues as everyone else.........

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 12:45 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
The team and developers interact all the time here :)

For (possibly) fixes for next build, follow threads here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/76/Beta_Builds_Regression_Bugs.html
(if you want to test beta builds, go to "my account" and check the box for that)

For reporting bugs, looking at responses about if from users, team and devs look here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/75/VirtualDJ_8_bug-report_Forum.html

I'm sorry but that wasn't the response I was looking for... I know everything there is to know about beta builds and reporting bugs. Surely Sclavel and Adion aren't the only one's working behind the scenes. Every other software development company I know issue weekly or daily statements regarding their progress, this is usually passed down through the chief developer or the relevant chain of command.

Please take these constructive criticism on board as it's important to the progression of this software that we all love

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 12:48 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Dj Sky-Trendsetters wrote :
Every other software development company I know issue weekly or daily statements regarding their progress, this is usually passed down through the chief developer or the relevant chain of command.

But such things are for internal use and not for public consumption - the vast majority of companies do not reveal what is being worked on at any given time.

I'm also wondering what an 'actual dev' is...?

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 1:16 pm
AdvokutPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Guess that comes down to corporate management and alike, it's been always the way that Atomix doesn't provide a time map, release dates and so on, and I respect that.

Also, in all my years here I learned that "they" do listen and are open for discussion, always friendly and respectfull, atleast that's my impression.

I remember the thread beat breaker mentioned too, and I think it have been only a handful of names ( sclavel,apopsis,djdad,sbdj,heiko,dj-in-norway and I think that's it ?)

Since Atomix was joined by adionsoft, I have the impression that adion himself is the mainly present developer, if not it's sbdj and dj-in-Norway who are the most passionate and contribute the most to the discussion

So if you three or four are the get-to guys, maybe you could shed some more light on few questions that maybe answered without giving away inside knowledge. Just...idk, give us a better view of the whole picture?

And compared to the other major developers ( NI, Serato and so on) i feel more is known. For example, who's doing what and where they are located etc

I'd like to excuse in advance if what we're asking is to much, it's just, if I feel a dialog Is possible, why not ask in a polite way :)

Greetings, A.

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 2:22 pm
Hey I completely agree with you, it's just that I feel like there are areas that could do with a bit of polishing when it comes to communication. I know the team doesn't usually give roadmaps and other software companies might operate in the same way but who said we have to conform to the norm? why not stand out?

It could also save the mods and admins the trouble of having to repeat themselves if the question has already been asked or a live tracking system to know which bugs have been logged

These are just suggestions which could modernize their approach

Posted Thu 28 Aug 14 @ 8:04 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
A roadmap is not a good idea.
Who knows what the team is developing? Maybe something "big", maybe not.
But competitors will be very pleased to read such informations here in the forums.

Or do you know what Apple, Samsung, Serato or %insertCompanyOfInteres% will come up with?
I don't.

Second: What do you think would happen if "the devs" replay to every one that is posting a bug or asking a question?
The probably will get (if they aren't of now) spammed with PMs or be so busy replaying to everyone that there is no time left for acutally developing or debugging.

Think of that: If you have a problem with your PC or a software and call the customer service, to what kind of person are you talking to? The CEO himself? The CTO? A developer? Or maybe to a helpdesk employee?
I never spoke to Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer, and I had a lot of BSODs throu the years.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 4:09 am
PachN wrote :
A roadmap is not a good idea.
Who knows what the team is developing? Maybe something "big", maybe not.
But competitors will be very pleased to read such informations here in the forums.

Or do you know what Apple, Samsung, Serato or %insertCompanyOfInteres% will come up with?
I don't.

Second: What do you think would happen if "the devs" replay to every one that is posting a bug or asking a question?
The probably will get (if they aren't of now) spammed with PMs or be so busy replaying to everyone that there is no time left for acutally developing or debugging.

Think of that: If you have a problem with your PC or a software and call the customer service, to what kind of person are you talking to? The CEO himself? The CTO? A developer? Or maybe to a helpdesk employee?
I never spoke to Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer, and I had a lot of BSODs throu the years.

When I speak of roadmap I don't mean new features, the road map idea was more like a concept... I'm talking more about a bug tracking system. Currently the bug logs are kept internal. How about a more transparent way of keeping the users in the know

No I have never spoken to Steve or Bill personally in all my years but if you go to Microsoft website you are kept up to date on the progress of reported bugs and before a service pack is released you know exactly what problems they will solve weeks before hand

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 6:09 am
Perhaps some sort of knowledgebase of current bugs and whether they are being worked on or fixed.

I came across a new V8 bug this morning but I can't be bothered searching through pages and pages of threads to see if anyone else has reported it!

Keith

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 6:48 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
There is a bug tracking system. When someone submits a request for E-Service, that information is logged into a data base. Also, there is an entire section of the beta forum dedicated to reporting bugs. Have no worries about ATOMIX not gathering and, keeping, bug tracking information.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 6:51 am
TearEmUp wrote :
There is a bug tracking system.

Yes, but we can't see it. That's the unfortunate thing.

The users (and even some pre-release beta testers) have/had no info about what's been logged, what's been missed, what's been fixed, what's been ignored, what's being fixed now.......etc. etc.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 7:07 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
...and again most companies keep that information internal too.

I certainly don't have access to the Microsoft or Apple bug trackers despite being a customer of both.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 8:49 am
Here's a perfect example. This says to me why bother wasting my time testing someone else's software when the company don't even acknowledge or respond. www.virtualdj.com/forums/191900/VirtualDJ_8_bug-report_Forum/Automix_editor_not_working_properly_from_second_time_onwards_.html

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 9:10 am
groovindj wrote :
Yes, but we can't see it. That's the unfortunate thing.

The bulk of users not seeing it is fortunate, not unfortunate. As Scott pointed out, Microsoft and Apple don't post what bugs have been reported or, addressed.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 7:06 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yes M$ & Apple don't publicly list bugs, but that doesn't mean that's best practice,
Atomix has asked it's users to beta test its software and efficient testing is a two way communication process, we tell you the faults, you acknowledge and communicate the priority.
Reasons for acknowledgement, listing bugs, and progress is, more dedicated testers can try recreate the bug and test the nuances, report this and save testing that the 5 or 6 atomix staff don't have the setups to check
What if all users decide I won't bother with V8 until it's solid, then your your job is much much harder, guess what, Atomix not having a bug log makes the betas testers job harder, (and atomix's too somewhat)

Although this is a thinking side step, all the successful open source softwares have a bug log.

example of both good and bad work by atomix in one thread
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/190493/VirtualDJ_8_bug-report_Forum/Adding_cover_art_to___flac_makes_track_error.html?search=flac%20error&page=1

Fault found and confirmed by another user, Staff acknowledge request data, staff ask about next updates attempted fix, more positive feedback, bug fixed all good so far,
but this bug isn't listed in a easily accessible thread, so users who've had cover art autoupdating before the fix have got broken tracks and weeks down the line you get a bug report that has been fixed but because the nature of the bug it doesn't corrected retro-actively upon update, you have a user asking why is it broken (in another thread)

And I see another 'sound pumping' thread I may have to start self harming
Known issues and FAQ, make the thread.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 7:37 pm
Virtual DJ is not an open source software. It's owned by ATOMIX. There is a bug log. It's just not public. Personally, I hope it never becomes public.

Posted Fri 29 Aug 14 @ 8:12 pm
43%