Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Learing the ropes, trying not to hang myself! Newbie help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello all!

I've been experimenting with the free version of Virtual DJ, and I have read the user guide to learn what the buttons are and what they do.

I thought my first project would be easy, but there is a lot for me to figure out.

It is for a role playing session (dungeons & dragons) and I want some dramatic battle music for the Final Battle!

I have a track, that gets progressively more heavy and dramatic as it goes through, and all I want to do is have it loop certain sections of the track through out the song.

For example, the first 20 seconds is an even drum beat. I would like that to loop for awhile as this is when they first discover what they are up against. When the battle begins, the loop will end and continue on with the track with the battle music. Now the battle music will loop until they have an interlude, that loop will end, and the music will progress to the next loop - the music is one whole track.

I must be able to control when the loops end, as it is a game and can take 1 minute to make a decision, or 10 minutes. I need to have this all premade, as I am the dungeon master and can't stop the game to get a loop going with my headphones.

I tried using the loop function, but it does not save and has to be set up each time, and you can only have one. Cues are not automatic and I have to click on them for each time I want it to loop.

I figure that I'm just new to it and stupid and am missing something.
How should I tackle this project?

Thank you for any help,

Barry

Posted Wed 08 May 13 @ 10:35 am
Hey, Barry.

I take it you're not using a controller, or external mixer, just your computer?

If so, you can map keys for up to 99 hot cues, and configure a loop of however many beats into a simple button press.

something like:

hot_cue x (where x is your hot cue number, 1-99) : set_loop y (where y is the length of the loop in beats)

This gives you the ability to jump to a specific part of your track, and loop however many beats you need. I've found this very helpful.

Someone will correct my syntax, I'm sure...

Ta
Mike

Posted Wed 08 May 13 @ 12:37 pm
Thank you for the suggestion. I will read up on the programing and give that a try!

Posted Wed 08 May 13 @ 3:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)