Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Disabling acpi.sys under hardware management

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I disabled the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery in Device Manager, only downside I see so far is that I can not longer see the Power Management icon in the task bar, but no more pops and clicks! Latencymon pointed to acpi.sys as having 1.4-2.7 in the results, everything else, well under 0.2, so I'm looking up to see to make sure this does not affect my battery charging. I've unplugged it and it doesn't turn off immediately, so I'm assuming the battery still works. Oh and soundcard I'm using is Traktor Audio 6

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 7:21 am
Ran HP Healthcheck, says my battery is 100% Charging with the plug in, unfortunately said the same thing even after unplugging it and running the check again, BUT when I unplugged the charger, I heard 3 drops in less than 1 minute, reset the diagnostics for NI, with it plugged in, no drops again.

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 7:25 am
so far so good, about 30 minutes since I disabled ACPI, even lowered my settings in the Traktor Audio 6 to 256 samples 10.2 ms output latency (VDJ is set to Auto) and now I changed from Scratching for Latency to Quality, something I had to change in the past to Latency to avoid drops. I'm excited, will keep the forum posted, but I've read a lot of other DJ sites and techie forums, this apparently does not diminish your battery life and your lappy is still safe to unplug (meaning it won't shut off) but you will notice drops instantly cause your battery power settings might be lower than when plugged in. Since you can't see the icon anymore, I guess the only way to change this is to re-activate it, make battery settings match when plugged in and make the computer warn you when under say 50% so it serves as a warning you aren't plugged in.

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 7:49 am
Just read, disabling ACPI does in fact disable the "low battery warning"...darn it...otherwise, still good

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 7:57 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Unfortunately, by disabling ACPI Battery Manager will not give you any warning for your battery level. If the ACPI Manager gives you drop outs and sound issues, you need to be very careful and always remember to plug your laptop to AC before a gig, or your dancefloor will become silent soon :P

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 8:08 am
Haha yeah it's definitely a must, I'm looking now for anything that will help me to keep an eye on that, I'm thinking maybe just enabling it to verify it's charging, then disable it before launching VDJ, but IDK, seems like a hassle

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 8:31 am

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 9:00 am
Alright, almost 2 hours in, I've actually started using the Audio 4 with 128 sample rate at 6.8 ms output, still good, gonna do this for 30 minutes, then see if I can get that lower, then work more on the Audio 6. This, of course, means nothing if it doesn't work with timecodes but I don't see the difference from line settings, unless I'm wrong?

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 9:16 am
Audio 6 down to 128 samples, 7.3 latency

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 10:14 am
Audio 6 - 64 samples, 5.8 output latency...

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 11:03 am
Maybe a bit overzealous, on loading tracks there's a slick crackle at 64 sample, trying 96 and 128 again

Posted Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 11:16 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)