Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Vestax Spin Help!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Everyone,
I am new to Virtual DJ Pro and decided to try it out with my Vestax Spin. I don't quite understand all the viritual DJ "code" that is required to set up the mapping. I tried it out but it doesn't seem to work. I mustn't be joining the different verbs and things together with correct characters. Its all a bit confusing for me!

Anyway, so the program recognises it as "Vestax Typhoon" but still many of the buttons are incorrect (I'm assuming because its not typhoon, its spin). One in particular is the headphones button for each deck. One for the left, one for the right. I want to be able to select each individually to output to the headphones as well as both at the same time (which I can do with the basic Djay program it comes with). I've only been able to figure out how to output to the headphones with both decks outputting, and no option to choose between the two.

I hope this makes sense? Or does anyone even have a mapper for vestax spin that I can custom put in which would solve everything (including all the other buttons that don't work).

Also the loop in/out button, record button, automix button, mic on/off button and probably many others are all wrong as well.

I appreciate your patience with me being a newbie! Any help is much appreciated!!!

Posted Wed 27 Apr 11 @ 1:24 am
Unfortunately the manufacturer used the same firmware ID for some Typhoons and Spins. This is because the Spin was never intended to be used with any other software except for DJay.

While we have implemented native support for the Spin, this is not officially supported by the manufacturer. Only the Typhoon which officially ships with VirtualDJ LE is supported and this has priority for native support in VirtualDJ.

Fortunately the MIDI protocol is nearly identical for both, so the only problem you will have is a few buttons will not perform their expected functions (E.g: SCRATCH buttons on the Spin are FILTER buttons on the Typhoon.) You can easily change this if required via CONFIG -> Mappers.

Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/homepage/jpboggis/blogs/4149/VDJscript_Mapping.html for basic mapping instructions and links for more information about VDJscript mapping.

Both Spin and Typhoon are 2 deck controllers are not mapped by default for multiple deck pre-listening. This can easily be changed by mapping the PFL buttons to pfl instead of select.

NOTE: You will need to purchase the full VirtualDJ Professional to use MIDI controllers such as Vestax Spin and custom mappings: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html

Posted Wed 27 Apr 11 @ 7:09 am
Thanks for that. I do have the full version. But my initial question hasn't been answered. I wondered if anyone knew the correct "code" i need to put for the two headphone buttons to make them work individually as well as at the same time. I've tried using the script on the page you mentioned but everytime I do the "key learn" button, it seems to automatically make both the headphone buttons for each deck (PFL) the same and I can't make each button different (so that they work differently for each deck, as they are supposed to). I hope that make sense?

Is there any way of finding a vestax spin map that someone has and has been able to make work? Then I can add it as a custom mapper.

Posted Thu 28 Apr 11 @ 7:25 am
In that case, please register it on the page http://www.virtualdj.com/users/edit.html and download the latest v7.0.3 VirtualDJ Pro from http://www.virtualdj.com/download/updates.html

If you are not using the latest v7.0.3 then this may also be why your controller is being detected as a Typhoon instead of Spin (The firmware conflict issue is not very common.)

For the PFL, go to CONFIG -> Mappers, choose the Typhoon (Spin) in the drop-down list and then find the PFL button in the list.

Change its Action: to the following: pfl

Pressing the PFL buttons should now toggle them on/off rather than selecting the appropriate single deck only (I.e: To listen to both, toggle both left and right PFL buttons on at the same time.) To listen to one only, toggle the other off again.

NOTE: This will only work in VirtualDJ v7 - v6 and eariler does not support separate PFL. If you are using an older version, you will need to upgrade to the latest v7.0.3: http://www.virtualdj.com/download/updates.html

There are currently no custom mappers available for the Spin, but if there were, you would need to be a registered licensed Pro user to be able download them. Mappers are not available to unlicensed users.

Posted Thu 28 Apr 11 @ 8:18 am
I have a new Vestax Spin purchased from Guitar Center. I just purchased the $99 controller license for the Vestax Spin today. There are no configuration instructions, and what is available online pertains to VDJ 6 and is somewhat obsolete.

Virtual DJ appears to acknowledge my license in the license section of the settings section. However, when I select the output to be "external mixer" I still have a message at the bottom that says "analog mixer license needed." I am not sure if I need to do something else. When I pay $99 for some software, could I at least get some installation instructions? I've spent several hours on this and I am quite frustrated.

I can run an application on my computer and the sound goes through the Spin and is heard on my external speakers. Play a song in VDJ and I get nothing. The sliders work, but there is no sound. FWIW, I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) on a Toshiba laptop with 4 GB Ram.

Posted Thu 15 Jan 15 @ 6:19 pm
You don't have an external mixer, you have a controller.

A quick glance at the Spin manual shows me that the setup should be master & headphones. The manual shows Mac but the same is true on Windows.

The audio interface in the Spin has two stereo outputs - one for the master output of the VDJ mixer, and the other for the headphone/cue signal. Usually the channels will be numbered in the VDJ audio config, so Spin channels 1 & 2 would need to be master output, and 3 & 4 for headphones.

Posted Thu 15 Jan 15 @ 7:37 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
For Windows, your only chance is to install ASIO4ALL. Its the only way to see both stereo channels (and have Master on 1,2 and Headphones on 3,4)
No issues on Mac (sees all channels)

Posted Fri 16 Jan 15 @ 10:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)