Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 4-mx freezing when i hit the smoke machine

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Not sure why, but I was playing some music into a powered speaker someone walked by and hit the 1/4" cable running from my little 2 input beringer mixer the speaker crackled and VD Le froze. Also, when Im firing off the smoke machine same thing. Like if there is a drop in voltage or a surge the software freezes. I've tried plugging my laptop into a separate circuit,but cant always tell if im on a separarte circuit or if somebody else has plugged into it. But knowing this is an issue ,makes for a tough gig. if I cant resolve this I may have to scrap my set up for something different cause its just too much stress waiting for this thing to freeze up on me at a gig. Im using the new 4-mx which is very cool but the LE software sucks. The mk2 LE software had a few more features than 4-mx version. anyway, if anybody can help I'd appreciate it.

1.6ghz duo core processor
2.5 gig memory
120 gig harddrive.

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 11:10 am
Make sure your power settings are on full, this was the difference between my computer working and completely crashing with a "fatal system bus error" message when using the audio 8 soundcard. Also, to increase general performance, turn off all startup programs (search for msconfig, go to startup, disable all), and turn down the graphics options (search for systempropertiesperforance, open it, and disable everything). Also, instead of scrapping your setup, you can upgrade to VDJ pro for a lot cheaper, and get tons of new features. Because you already have the 4-mx, you can save a lot on it, and VDJ pro is MUCH better than VDJ LE.

Are you sure the program crashes because of the fog machine? If so make sure your comp is far away from it to avoid any issues with overheating, and make sure you plug it into an outlit on a different circuit. (Sometimes different outlets are on the same circuit so switching outlets wouldn't necessarily help.)

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 4:17 pm
I would suggest getting a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). Tripp Lite makes some pretty good ones. If you're not sure what it is, it's pretty much a surge protector that switches to a battery if the power drops. This way, for those quick drops when using the fogger or whatever is causing the issue, your laptop and mixer will have stable power. I would suggest Tripp Lite's internet/office UPS.

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 4:39 pm
Thanks for your input and ideas. I'm going to buy one of these tripp lite regulators. I use a Furman voltage regulator in my guitar rig. Never thought to try it on my laptop. The tripplite are much more reasonably priced compared to these furman units. Also, I do have everthing plugged into a power conditioner. but started moveing the laptop around to avoid getting froze out. And I will defiinately start disabling all the startup programs and graphics stuff. I'll let you know when I've tried these things out. Thanks

Posted Wed 30 Mar 11 @ 6:24 pm
Ok. finally get to post on this. I re installed the software off the VDJ website. don't know fro sure but I think this fixed my problem.I also turned off most start up programs and graphics items. That could be it to. I also bought a UPS. which gives me a lot of assurance. the problem with the powered speaker was the speaker itself.which would still cause the software to stop working. I had to put an insulator between the 1/4" input jack and the chassis. but that fixed that problem.so all is good now. just did a gig where I emptied out the smoke machine and VDJ ran perfectly. So kudos to this forum and suggestion I got. Thanks guys.

Posted Mon 16 May 11 @ 12:23 am
Could you please give me a steer on a UK equivalent? I am having exactly the same problems and have been for the last six weeks or so. Simple crash of the system and it is due to the smoke machine in the venue where I work on a Saturday. The Friday DJ has exactly the same problem with their system, even though they do not use Virtual DJ (amateurs!) lol

Posted Thu 15 Sep 11 @ 8:17 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)