Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to earth Stanton T80's?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Njabs01Home userMember since 2009
I have 2X T.80s that buzz really badly when connected to my Behringer DJX7000. The feedback occurs even when I switch from phono to line. I connected them to a Pionner DJM800 and they were fine, even on phono, this left me uncertain as to what the problem is. Can anybody assist? How on earth can I earth them (excuse the pun) since they do not come with a GND connector?

Posted Mon 30 Nov 09 @ 4:59 am
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi mate

The DJX700 has grounding points on the rear panel but if your decks do not provide the earthing strap/wire you can have this added by replacing the phono/RCA plugs and having a ground wire soldered onto eiyher the left or right screen wire (this is the outer uninsulated wire and may be braided) inside one of the plugs.

To see if this is going to help just use a short length of wire and hold or connect one end against/to the earth/GND terminal on the rear panel and hold the other end agaist an exposed metal part of the screen/outer part of the Phono/RCA jack sockets while the mixer is on and with the deck plugged into the mixer.

Also check that the wires on the deck cartridge have been connected the right way round. They are usualy colour coded red,blue,green and white or black. and will match up with the pins on the cartridge (normaly colour coded in the same way)

BTW check and make shure the power cord to the mixer is correctly earthed and don't listen to anyone who suggests lifting or disconnecting the mains earth wire in the power cord or plug as this is very dangerous!!!!!!!!!

Daz

Posted Mon 30 Nov 09 @ 5:59 am
Hi Dazmax,

I can confirm that the wires / pins are connected correctly and to my knowledge the mixer's power cord has not been tempered with (I hope!).

I'll be sure to try the grounding option on the RCA's. I am just surprised that the T80's did not come with the GND out terminal. I wonder why? Do you think it was oversight (AGHAST!) or perhaps it was something that Stanton did not think would be a problem (Even more AGHAST)?

Sure I know that the fact that one can switch between line / phono on the turntable itself is great but if you are using all available channels on the mixer (Weekend GIG: I had 4 X CDJ Decks and the 2 Turntables) you're still stuck with the same problem. I am keen to hear your thoughts.....

Thanx for your help.

Regards,
Njabs

P.S. I will "earth" today and let you know tomorrow.

Posted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 2:28 am
Hi mate

I think this has more to do with the way the Behringer mixer is set up than a problem with the decks. There are many turntables that dont have the additional gnd cable but on the Behringer mixers the screen (outer) connections on all the inputs are whats call floating (not connected to the mains ground) That is why they have the extra grounding posts for the phono inputs. It is actualy there so that you have a choice and can help avoid earth loops.

Let me know how you get on. I have a DJX 700 collecting dust somwhere so I can dig it out and have a play with it as well.

Daz

Posted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 2:53 am
Ok cool

Thanks again for your help. I will feedback soon.

Regards,
Njabs

Posted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 4:38 am
Another great thing about the 150's, no earth

Posted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 11:22 am
my stanton str8-80's dont have the ground wire, and ive had no trouble connecting them in line mode to my Behringer UB-1622FX-Pro..

if you still have trouble, i can dig out an old hifi with a standard 'phono' input and can check my stanton deck in phono mode.

also, worth checking...
Are you connecting to Phono on the mixer, and Phono is selected on the deck?
If your deck is in line mode, you can not connect this to phono on your mixer.
and phono on the deck can not connect to line on the mixer.

Posted Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 7:26 pm
Very good point Mark thanks.

You are absolutley correct as in line mode the deck uses a built in pre amp to boost the signal level so it would cause all kinds of problems if he has it connected to the phono inputs by mistake when in this mode.

cheers

Dax

Posted Wed 02 Dec 09 @ 12:17 am
Gentlemen,

Happy 2010 to y'all.

I can confirm that my problem has been resolved. Thanks to DAZ.... The solution you offered worked a treat.

Regards,
B

Posted Tue 05 Jan 10 @ 1:59 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)