Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: NEED HELP Recovering FILES ASAP

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

lack1PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I upgraded from 3.4 to 5 for right now a big mistake.

My problem is that I was getting the corrupt database error so I tried to fix it by going to config and the the browser section.

I selected my external hard drive where I keep all of the files to clean. When I did they where deleted.

Does clean mean delete all the files in a folder. I need to recover them ASAP.

HELP

Posted Sat 07 Jun 08 @ 9:56 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
We'll find you some help, but please do not double post. I will lock the other thread you started and link it too this one....Good Luck...

Posted Sat 07 Jun 08 @ 10:03 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
lack1 wrote :
I upgraded from 3.4 to 5 for right now a big mistake.

My problem is that I was getting the corrupt database error so I tried to fix it by going to config and the the browser section.

I selected my external hard drive where I keep all of the files to clean. When I did they where deleted.

Does clean mean delete all the files in a folder. I need to recover them ASAP.

HELP

First you did not loose any files do to VirtualDJ. When fixing the database it deletes the entries in the database for the files it could not find. So, when you selected - CLEAN - and you saw that XXXX files were deleted that is only the entries in the database NOT from your hard drive.

Posted Sat 07 Jun 08 @ 10:26 am
Well the folder were the files were located are empty.

Also there is this file VirtualDJ\VirtualDJ Database.xml that is on the hard drive now.

The file is 4, 852 kb I need to recover this file.

Posted Sat 07 Jun 08 @ 11:22 am
Yes, that file on the hard drive is the database file for that drive. Explained in the manual is how the new database system works in Version 5.

And the folder is empty because it was already empty. Again, there is no code or actions that DELETE files from the system when Fix, Check or Clean is run for database maintenance. Matter of fact, there is only 1 place you can delete a file from within VirtualDJ, and that is if you right-click on the file, and choose the File Operations, then Delete.

Posted Sat 07 Jun 08 @ 11:38 am
Ok this is getting crazy. I use an external drive for all of my music files. Today when opening VDJ, I got
the error corrupt files......Then closed VDJ and rebooted computer.

When the computer came back on opened up the VDJ...all of the files in my music foldr were gone.

Now this is the second time this has happened. I know I not deleting the files by mistake. VDJ has moved
the files somewhere.

I need help ASAP.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 11:34 am
So only in VDJ the files seem to be gone? If you go through My Computer to the folder location are the files there ?

If you are loosing files from your hard drive, you may have a bigger issue in that the hard drive may have issues - not VirtualDJ.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 11:42 am
As CToll already wrote that VDJ will not delete or remove files other than entries which are not on drives during the fix process. At any point did you run a scandicks repair as i had a bad sector which deleted my files ?

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 11:56 am
Let me break this down......I cannot locate the files in my folder on the hard drive period.

Meaning I can't see them out of VDJ.

Meanwhile this Database.xml files has grown to be very large. What is this file?

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 12:19 pm
Well then you must consider that you have a hardware issue with that external drive. It has now happened to you twice. The Database file stores the data about your Audio files.

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 12:57 pm

Posted Tue 10 Jun 08 @ 3:45 pm
Hi, there is a hard-drive check tool available at seagate.com if you have the maxtor or seagate hard drives, I've found it to be excellent in checking the drives out for hard-ware problems.

Another thing, if you are using Windows XP or later, have you tried the "restore computer" to an earlier time feature in Windows? That might help recover your files.

Also you could have a computer virus on your system if your gig System is "ON-LINE" with the Internet, I'd check out the whole system with Norton Anti Virus or another premium anti virus program.

And as always, back up your hard drives to another drive or DVD disc in case of emergency or even use a program like "Norton Ghost" to back up large data files and compress them for archiving your valuable MP3's.

Sincerely yours,
Jeff Pino

Posted Sat 14 Jun 08 @ 6:24 am
There are plenty of apps out there that will recover deleted files. There are plenty of free ones for camera cards that can be used for the hard drive as well. Just use google to search for the apps.

Posted Sun 15 Jun 08 @ 11:00 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)