Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pls Excuse the Retrospection - 35 and a former "big" Club DJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I just had to write this. After about a month of learning VDJ and getting back into the whole mixing arena I am just amazed. Technology is amazing isn't it. In my late teens and early 20's, like most people writing on this board, I had an intense passion for music, mixing...and of course women. The reality of being a DJ at a club was one of the high points of anyone's life. (NY - The Red Zone, Malibu's, CPI and in Tampa at GEO's, CC's Yucatan Liquor stand) The scene, the late nights, the focus of attention, ...and of course the ladies with their oh so cute requests. (Has anyone ever played a request from a man?.hmmm...do Female DJ's play requests from a woman?) I spent countless hours with the 1200's diggin in the crates. No BPM counters, No software, no PC's, all vinyl. Not many people were all that interested in the process of what it took to create the "tapes (that's right remember cassette tapes) but I must have turned out 100's for people. I was a local legend..."where did you get that tape?" Does anyone remember being almost all the way through recording a cassette tape and screwing a mix up? How funny was it to try and edit the screw up with a cassette? That was an art form in itself.

Then some stupid girl (ok the hottest one I've ever had) makes me spend all my money on her over the summer. I'm going back to college...hadn't been doing much with the equipment and the records....had to pay rent and car insurance....sold....$6500...all my records...all my equipment.

11 years later...college done, married, child, corporate VP..I get the itch. It started with a music search on the internet and has culiminated in me almost getting every song I once had (much cheaper by the way) and now it's back to the passion.

This time though I find this Virtual DJ thing. (hated all the others b/c I was always looking for something that was turntable simulated vs. CD simulated since I missed the CD time period). Within two weeks I'm mixing better then I ever did. This product is freakin amazing. I like some of the posts about how beatlock is for wimps etc..(I actually don't like using it) but heck this whole thing makes mixing easy. I was always more of a mix guy. I know the "job" part of DJing "forces" you to focus on the energy in the room and to play some god awful tunes sometimes b/c everyone loves them, but I think most DJ's passion is in the mix. Taking two songs and making them seamlessly be one song...nothing beats that.

So thanks VDJ for more or less taking what I learned as a REAL very difficult art form and making it so my daughter can mix :). Although I really do thank you because now I'm into a whole different level of the remix.

Thanks to all for listening.

Posted Tue 16 Nov 04 @ 9:31 pm
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Amen to that :-)
VDJ rocks!

Thanks again Dev and Support Team.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 5:33 am
True ... ;)

VDJ makes the entry level for dj-ing lower...
And makes the established dj's remix a lot better, faster and more creative..
So us established DJ's will still be a lot better and far ahead of any "daughter" learning to mix in a week with VDJ ;)

In conclution:
VDJ is good for both parts... newcommers to the dj scene (lower entry level and lower start costs) AND established DJ's (better, faster and more creative)

All in all, you are only as good a dj as your music collection, your music sense, and your ability to make the dancefloor groove and the guests be happy... ;)

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 2:02 pm
I feel you man. I believe we are on the same boat here, It's like coming back from the dead. I remember vividly not even having the luxury of owning the equpments and records but had an uncle that had everything that was needed and I would spend most of the time with him just learning the art with so much fascination, i must confess he made me the tapes and I would take them back to college and be the campus "tape Dj" funny.....
but it's true, those days of double tape decks. Now with technology and ofcourse VDJ, you can actually make those dreams come true and also relive those good old ones.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 4:24 pm
Norway, you know it's funny. I appreciate the group lecture. I don't mean that bad. You are very active on these boards and give great info. I'm guessing you're in your twenty's trying to make a career of Dj'ing. I'm happy for you. You're taking a passion and going for it. The thing is that it's tough to do it. It certainly matters what the number is. 150K or 200K being a club DJ. That's what killed me 10 years ago. Aren't those the number we all want. Tough to do it doing mobile gigs and my experience is that clubs thought they were doing you a favor by letting you play. I remember getting a radio half hour (dj contest in Tampa FL) and I didn't get paid anything. What I did get was a job at the hottest club for minimum wage. Great fun...no money. Mixing/DJing is about the passion. The adrenaline when it all works right...I haven't found that beat's it. The Throbbing Floor I miss....but it was first about the mix.

Thanks for all your great technical information and other.

Posted Fri 19 Nov 04 @ 2:42 am
well, I'm in my 30's... (blush...lol) - and I have had a dj career for many many years now ;) resident dj at club every thursday, friday and saturday... and even some guests gigs every now and then at other venues :)

But still alive and kickin ;) even though I wish I was still in my twentys.... lol

Posted Fri 19 Nov 04 @ 1:27 pm
Well im in my 40's and also doing the 4 to 5 nights a week thing.For me VDJ is ...is..the envy of all dj's that come and stare at me work my computer and keyboard....just like back in the 70's people used to stare at us all the time when we just mixed 2 or 3 records together.In 1984 i was working the Lime light in Montreal with 4 turntables mixer in the middle made me learn how to mix on both sides.People were amazed by the work and then the cd era came along and the interest faded away slowly.
Now with VDJ the curiosity of the crowd is so obvious.I get so many people ask me to watch for a while..So if its a girl its a yes and if its a guy then its a no.....lol
So no excuses needed for reterospection...a lot of us are in the same boat.
VDJ rocks.....thank you..thank you..thank you..dev team
Best Regards
Andre

Posted Sat 20 Nov 04 @ 10:03 am
Thanks Andre for the pardon on the retrospection. I never did mix on 4 turntables. I got up to three before walking away from it. Some parts of me are jealous of you and Norway. Do you guys just do DJing full time or is it a part time job and you have another job? Not trying to pry, just curious if you were able to make a career out DJing. I know you can if you are the 1% like a funkmaster flex but by working in clubs can you?

Posted Mon 22 Nov 04 @ 5:12 pm
I could work as DJ only... as the money (here) is pretty good, and what I get from my thursdays, friday and saturday gigs in total could be an ok living... ;)

But the problem is boredom the rest of the week ;) loool..

So, I work with events, parties and graphic design during the weekdays.. :) Also, I might go into working on a radio station really soon (not as a dj, but with events)

Posted Tue 23 Nov 04 @ 12:17 pm
I'm moving to Norway. Damn US has me paying taxes you wouldn't believe. I'd love to chat Norway a little bit in more detail How does someone go about exchanging e-mail addresses? I'm guessing you get a lot of these so feel free do blow me off. No problem.

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 6:41 am
Manixx...what is that website. Are you taking this get back in the game thing seriously? I checked your profile, I like the sounds of your website. Where are you located?

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 7:01 am
Norway, thanks for responding. I hope everything works out with the events at the station.

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 7:05 am
Same for me djiing is enough $ but the rest of the week....
Remixing and whatever else has to do with music..
So it is possible to have this life!!!! good luck boy
Regards
Andre

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 7:10 am
Hey if you're reading this...go ahead and respond. I noticed it was read by a bunch of folks but not many responses. All you "now" dj's can laugh..I can take it. Hey VDJ team, here's a market for you. The 30 year old who couldn't make a living and went on to bigger/different things just for the money. There must be a ton of people. Big audience. I can help. (don't mean to sound like a sales person so blow me off if you're inundated. I get a ton of call every day too. Just don't know where you're at in terms of industry maturity. Thanks.

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 7:22 am
Andre Landry, not sure where you live. I'd like to state the actual cash with you guys. it's not appropriate on these boards so is there a way I can talk to you separately. I'm really curious what you actually make a night vs. living expenses. Are you a U.S. DJ?

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 7:26 am
Hey Landry, where are you?

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 7:50 am
Hmmm this is a bit personal....let me see if i can shed some light on this subject
I work for a % of the sales from 9pm to3am.So in Canada this is about $250 a night but i have been a dj for 26 years so experience is my money maker and im sure Dj inNorway's also
Remember if you want to be a pro dj you have to know people in the biz.....everyone know everyone type of thing
My advice would be to put a show together and sell it to clubowners.Vdj will blow away any cd or vinyl dj...ooops
providing there is a good pilot.hurry pcdjing is getting bigger
get a keyboard and start learning how to play the main keys
people like live shows...if you can play music mix scratch and have a good voice you have a chance!
good luck
Andre

Posted Fri 26 Nov 04 @ 10:17 am
\Landry, thanks. this is personal, as personal as a message board gets. I'm a VP of a company, unfortunately somehow...I'd rather be working at a club. I make a bunch of money a year. (300K since you were personal, USD since I know it doesn't mean as much in Euros's. I wish I could be a DJ and live the life. Not trying to brag, Lucky I've had the career I've had but at the same time, not all that happy with it. Strange world.
thanks.

Posted Sun 28 Nov 04 @ 6:03 am
Landry, I appreciate the info. My other post didn't recognize your post. I appreciate it. It hasn't changed much in a long time. Damn this is an art form. Keep pushing people...the best should get cash....Say it again, the best should get paid.

Posted Sun 28 Nov 04 @ 6:23 am
I hope I didn't come across as a jerk somehow. I just read what I wrote and I didn't like the way it came across. I'm a good guy. Some other 35 year olds must be getting the midlife crisis thing. Damn, I have work for another 30 years...wouldn't it be nice to do something....Like my wife perhaps who does #$%#% nothing. Any pyschoanalyst dj's out there :) Thanks for sharing

Posted Wed 01 Dec 04 @ 12:32 am
61%