Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pls Excuse the Retrospection - 35 and a former "big" Club DJ - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

wow.........i left the club scene 20 yrs ago....and i was getting 1,000 bucks canadian a night then...the last year i worked i made more than 76,000...i burned out....this atomixmp3 and virtual dj is unbeatable and unstopable...as far as kicking the platter flipping DJs out there....well......they are not even in the same universe with us...you can put a list together that you know will mix well.....put it on auto........and still do a better job than the flippers...i do not play clubs anymore but i still do mix CDs for some area clubs and make many for myself and family....this biz is a great biz....even when you are not making a lot of $$$$ at it

Posted Wed 01 Dec 04 @ 10:16 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
That's a better number Raw bear. But it sounds like from most it's not a realistic one until you are the hottest Dj in town...big town. DJCentral website is interesting if you want to talk to folks....still in vinyl...but live at a lot gigs. VDJ...you need to bring these folks into the light....strike up a deal. They let you upload mixes for nominal/free. I haven't heard one that's better then what i'm doing with this program.

Posted Thu 02 Dec 04 @ 4:58 am
Djej Its not only about the money its making people dance thats the feed.
One of the greatest jobs in the world
Here some advice :Why dont you just open a club and you can be a owner/dj!!!!!!
Voila all your problems are solved.
Andre

Posted Fri 03 Dec 04 @ 9:23 am
Classic Response Landry....:) the reason, and I've thought about it in detail, is the fact I'd become an alcoholic :))))or at a minimum cheat on my wife. How some people are being big Club DJ's and having an actual adult life amazes me. It's such a scene...unless you're ugly :) how is anyone married, kids, etc. I'm sure you've also worked in enough clubs to know that is not an easy business. Owning it would be a freakin nightmare. Underage drinkers (that you sort of want to let in), the Waiter quits (next thing you know you're waiting tables or giving crappy service, the bartender is pregnant (you're serving drinks or giving crappy service), the taxes go up, the guy dies after he does acid and then gets drunk at your club and drives into a brick wall...lawsuit...need insurance. I've owned a few businesses...this crap always happen. You mobile dj's know this. You are right on the money that it's not about the money but if you make a career change there are lot's of serious things to think through. Daughter at Boston College for instance. Profitability of owning a club. I doubt there are many Owner's/DJ's out there. This post took a life of it's own. I just shared some thoughts and the responses were great. Led me to think about could I do this. I've learned that I'm passed my prime. I'm sure there are dj's out there making 1000 a night...not many though. And they are special I'm sure. I'm not interested in doing weddings...like Landry said...getting people to dance is what it's about. Making 500 people dance is the real feed though. Landry, I really appreciate you sharing so I hope we're cool. Thanks.

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 1:46 am
Were cool djej but i think you need a vacation......come to Canada and you can come and spin as a guest dj in the club i work...meanwhile i can chat with the ladies:)
As far as the family life goes well i have five kids and working 3 or 4 nights a week is just fine
i get to be with them all the time.I would like clarify something else DJs dont make $1000 a night and if they do its one gig a week or even a month plus you got to spend time and money to promote yourself....thus making you play what you are trying to sell on your mixed
cd's.Real people djs play mostly 60% of what people want 40%dj choice and if we have a good week we can make that $1000......
Finally if you hire the right people and rent most of your bar and sound equipment you can start up a dance club pretty cheap.....but make sure to get a manager .....you worry too much. lol
Regards
Andre

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 10:21 am
Landry, I'd love to meet you. I have appreciated your posts. I do worry to much...we all have our issues. What part of Canada are you from. I do business there and have an open travel option. It would be funny to meet you....especially if you say I can spin a few with you. 5 kids and a saint of a wife I'm sure. 5 kids and you can still "play" with records. I get a $1000 a night is high. I was getting $300 a night though 10 years ago. I was hoping it moved up. If you're near one of our locations I'll send you my e-mail. It would be funny to meet you.

Posted Sun 05 Dec 04 @ 4:06 am
you know, you seem like a cool guy

have you heard of Z-Trip before?

if not you are in for quite a treat.
his style is amazing, and in my opinion, The Best fookin DJ EVER.
iv'e been a fan of his for a while, and if you Have heard of him, you now what im talking about

check out his motown breakdown
http://www.punogre.com/ztrip/z-trip_-_motown_breakdown_part1.mp3

that doesn't touch his other work, but you'll dig it.
if you like this, let me know, and i might be able to get you going in the right direction

Posted Sun 05 Dec 04 @ 5:06 am
X....Love it..Now I'll be looking for more of his work. I just opened a site and have to create it still. I'm interested in taking some of the late 80's/early 90's "underground/hard to find classics" and housing them up. So they may actually played in clubs today and get the credit they deserve as great music. I've done 5-6 worthy of posting IMO :). This is a great remix...very skilled. Is there a place to listen to some of his other work. Thanks X.

Posted Sun 05 Dec 04 @ 11:08 pm
im sure someone at the message boards could hook you up.
i could burn you a couple of his more lethal live performances.
that's where he really shines

forums.djztrip.com

Posted Mon 06 Dec 04 @ 2:40 am
Ok so the guy who's been out of this for ten years figures out how to post a mix. I'd appreciate any feedback. Also, if anyone wants to post a mix I'll do so until I have space constraints. Just respond to the web site e-mail. Catalog.com is great if anyone wants to create a website. $35 USD per year. Also, no comments on the web site...I know it sucks :}

AudioRetro.com - Sense of Purpose and Jam On it are the two I think came out well. The other is a work in progress.

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 9:35 am
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 1:30 pm
Thanks Bambi. I like the website you turned me on to. I knew the artist, just too lazy when I finally posted it. The new stuff is great, from a beat standpoint. I just think if you really listen to some of the old lyrics, they had some great meaning. Could just be me. I do appreciate the feedback. Do you want to share some of your mixes. Just send to the e-mail at supportteam@audioretro.com. I can't believe you still have the record and I'd be interested in your style. EJ.

Posted Thu 16 Dec 04 @ 5:00 pm
OK Bambi, the flip is Changes isn't it. Never could work that song in. It wasn't bad though. :)

Posted Thu 16 Dec 04 @ 7:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)