Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New Controller ;-)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Just want to share something i tested with VDJ that works really well as an "Controller".

First i took a standard Numeric keypad and that i programmed to controll the standard
features. I set it up to work on"Active Deck" and use the Enter key to swith that.

Then i bought a Griffin Powermate to use as jogwheel. This is really cool and of high
quality. It can be used in both left-right, push left-push right for different functions.
You can also click and double click to controll whatever you want. You program it
just like VDJ by assigning it to different keys.

BUT - It generates keystrokes that VDJ can't read. So i had to write a small mapper
program to fix that. Nothing strange about that, There are 2 different ways to
generate and read keystrokes in Windows and VDJ use one and the Powermate the other.

It can be hard to find in stores but i found it in my local Apple Store.

It isn't really good for scratching, but for every other use it works just great.

"Jog wheel"
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

Numeric Keypad:
http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14522

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 2:53 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
pern,

Interesting information, thanks for the input. It's another options to work with vdj :-)

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 6:26 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i like the keypad idea, so we can have alot of functions with only one hand.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 7:09 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
if it was big enough to scratch with and for less than $100 it would be a hot buy. [coz the keyboard can be shortcutted to act as a mixer].

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 7:58 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 8:15 pm
Have you figured out how to make the Griffin control the crossfader, and or video fader? A few people had tried previously and failed. Will you share the mapper you wrote?

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 8:26 pm
yes please, i have been trying to make the powermate work forever

Posted Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 9:01 pm
please post your little program... we're salivating here.....

I so want to use this thing as a video crossfader!

-Steve

Posted Thu 02 Feb 06 @ 3:36 am
sjekkihHome userMember since 2006
Yeah, could you share your little program? I would loved it..

Posted Thu 11 May 06 @ 3:27 pm
I haven't had time to finish the Powermate "mapper" due to a lot of work at the moment. But i can do it if others are interested in also.

Posted Mon 15 May 06 @ 6:06 pm
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi,

I think this controller was mentioned in another thread but I cant find it at the moment:

http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/CDMCSX?speedtrapid=froogle&lead=froogle

Has anyone actually used it and is it possible to use two of them on one PC? This might be the best option for me at the moment as I don't want to pay out for an XP10 at the moment and not keen on the look/feel of the DJ console.

Pern - did you say you had a mapper for this one too? I notice this is supported by the Mac DJ program (DJ1800 I think it is called).

Feedback/thoughts?

Posted Tue 16 May 06 @ 12:06 am

Posted Tue 16 May 06 @ 7:52 am
Hi Pern,

Have you posted your mapper? I'm keen to try this device out but don't want to part with my money until I know I have a chance of making it work ;o)

Cheers,

Posted Tue 16 May 06 @ 12:46 pm
I will finish it this week .

Posted Wed 17 May 06 @ 7:56 am
Excellent - no rush on my behalf though. I am away for 3 weeks from Sunday (going to Cyprus for my wedding + honeymoon).

Thanks

Posted Wed 17 May 06 @ 4:26 pm

Posted Wed 17 May 06 @ 4:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)