Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: With Stems 2.0 analysis is now much slower. Analysis options removed? - Page: 5
The new laptop arrived with the RTX3080ti card. Stems creation isn't as quick as I thought it would be. Seems the GPU isn't being fully utilized. Takes about 25 seconds per file (not sure if it's slower scanning videos rather than audio)

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 11:43 am
kradcliffe wrote :
The new laptop arrived with the RTX3080ti card. Stems creation isn't as quick as I thought it would be. Seems the GPU isn't being fully utilized. Takes about 25 seconds per file (not sure if it's slower scanning videos rather than audio)

I have also the 3080ti Notebook version. Maximum usage 35% - Title length 5:00 min (MP3) - Stems creation 11 seconds.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 11:51 am
Mr DJ Mel wrote :
Is it possible to revert the stems being ready with the view that was available previously?

What i mean by that, as much as the little tick is useful, is does not let you know how much of the track is ready. On the previous version on the loaded deck waveform, it used to be slightly greyed out and you could see it build across the waveform once it was ready.
I felt that was a much easier indication to know that you had stems available across the whole track then the small tick.

I hope that made sense?

no, because the new engine doesn't analyze your song linearly from start to finish.
It analyzes first around your cue points, so that you can jump to cue points and start to play before the song is fully analyzed.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 12:27 pm
Stephane Clavel wrote :

no, because the new engine doesn't analyze your song linearly from start to finish.
It analyzes first around your cue points, so that you can jump to cue points and start to play before the song is fully analyzed.

OK that makes sense, would it be easy enough to return the visual cue on the waveform even if its starts halfway through?

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 12:32 pm
One thing I've just noticed is that it's over twice as quick creating the stem if you load the track on the deck rather than analyze it separately?

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 12:51 pm
Another thing I've noticed in the stems folder is when it's analyzing the track at the top you get a red bar but when it finishes the next one doesn't get the progress bar at all. You have to scroill to get it back.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 12:58 pm
@Kradcliffe - how long does it take to create the stem just loading the track on the deck with no pre compute?

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new laptop too with an RTX 3060 card but wondering if i should be going for something even better?

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 2:29 pm
With the RTX3080Ti it's around 10 seconds so perfectly usable live.

My DJ laptop is very reliable but integrated graphics only so I'm precomputing them for use on that.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 2:45 pm
That's great to know, so i would imagine with a RTX 3060 that would be about 15 seconds, which as you say is perfectly usable.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 2:55 pm
Just checked again. Definitely taking twice as long to precompute a stem compared to loading it on the deck.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 5:38 pm
Wonder if maybe its due to having to save the file down at the same time when precomputing?

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 6:28 pm
Shouldn't make any difference on a fast SSD at 30mb a file.

Be interesting to see if Stephane has any info on this.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 22 @ 6:33 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Precompute also has to encode the vdjstems file which could indeed be a significant portion of the total processing time if you have a fast gpu

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 4:11 am
Adion wrote :
Precompute also has to encode the vdjstems file which could indeed be a significant portion of the total processing time if you have a fast gpu

Thanks Adion, that makes sense. I suppose if you have a powerful enough GPU, there isn't much reason to precompute and it would make better sense to use in realtime.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 7:40 am
what adion meant is that once virtualdj analyzed and created the stems in memory, if you want to save the precompute file, it still needs to compress the file into an mp4.
And the encoding in mp4 of a 5-tracks file, does take a few seconds.

So if you're on GPU and your stems analyze only takes a few seconds, adding the mp4 encoding can effectively double the total processing time.
(and adion meant that if you're on CPU and the stems analyze takes a few minutes, then you will not notice the difference when adding a few seconds more for mp4 encoding)

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 2:12 pm
Perfect, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

Bad news is that the new laptop is going back as a return. Massive latency issues (seem to be relating to the RTX graphics drivers) and a really annoying issue where the mouse and keyboard freeze for 5 seconds at a time.

Really nice machine but totally unworkable for what I need.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 2:25 pm
Thats not great Kradcliffe, that Laptop did look a beast. I'm in the same position as you in getting a new laptop atm to replace my (new) laptop i got last dec.

Been looking at a few BF deals with either a Dell Insipiron 7620 plus, MSI Stealth GS66 or the Lenovo Legion 5i.

All 3 are roughly the same spec, and all with an RTX 3070/3060 GPU.

A good site for you to check latency tests on a laptop you may be looking at is https://www.notebookcheck.net/DPC-Latency-Ranking-Which-laptops-and-Windows-tablets-offer-the-lowest-latency.504376.0.html

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 4:54 pm
I have a laptop with RTX3060 and it has no latency issues at all.
So, it's not just the GPU or it's drivers. It's how everything is put together.
In case it's still on sale, I got an ASUS ROG Zephyrus M16, i9-11900H with nVidia RTX 3060/6GB VRAM.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 5:01 pm
My laptop works great with VDJ too. Alienware M15 R6, NVIDIA GPU.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 5:34 pm
Yeah it just depends on the individual machine it seems.

Just a bit weird why a top of the range fully loaded machine like that would be so awful when other more basic ones I have are really low latency with no issues whatsoever.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 22 @ 6:19 pm
87%