Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Congratulations to the team of VIRTUAL DJ, BIT PERFECT test successfull with a MQA DAC - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello,

I did some Audio comparison tests, between Virtual Dj 8.3, Serato, Rekordbox, and Denon Engine prime 1.2.2 (Windows version).

To compare, the auto gain has been disabled, the effects on off, and the headroom at 0, and the PITCH quality in Virtual DJ set to 3, to read the files in perfect bits.

Mode: Wasapi Shared mode, Driver, and the Meridian MQA DAC explorer 2 at 24bits / 44.1

I used a MQA DAC (meridian explorer 2) with an MQA test file. Why ? because when an MQA file is read bit perfect, the MQA led indicator is "on", when the software and the driver decode the audio file MQA in perfect bit.

The results :

Only VIRTUAL DJ, was able to read the MQA file in bit perfect mode, without loss of bits, whereas Serato, Rekordbox, Traktor even with all the possible options and without effects to apply, can not decode the sound without modifications of the bits.

Virtual DJ is the winner, because when no effects are applied and without auto gain, in Wasapi Shared mode, VirtualDJ respects the original sound of a track, before any effects application DJ :) (no need of exclusive mode on WIN10, Wasapi is improved in latest version of Windows, as good as OSX core AUDIO) or ASIO.

And in VirtualDj, the drivers audio can be managed in 32int or 32float bit, depend on kind of Soundcard/DAC. (and it display the bit resolution of the driver )
It's a cool feature :)

And everything is done not to change the sound of the orginal track, as long as the effects are not used

So congratulations to the team of VIRTUAL DJ, and the developer of the AUDIO part of the software, because in 2019, it is the only DJ software that respects the sound better than other competitors.

Thanks ! :)

Posted Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 8:29 am

Posted Sun 10 Mar 19 @ 7:50 am[ selected best answer by Adion on Thu 03 Dec 20 @ 7:28 am ]
MrJackyPRO InfinityMember since 2015
Interesting news

I thought that the sound quality of VirtualDJ was lower than traktor or serato and that's why professional DJs treat VirtualDJ as if it were a toy for some fans.

If I have to recommend any, I have always put VirtualDJ first on the list because it does much more than being a simple mixer.

It facilitates much the work of configuration or personalization in a simple and effective way.

Posted Fri 15 Feb 19 @ 12:10 pm
One must be blind not to see VirtualDJ is the best . But it's good that it's proven again .

Posted Fri 15 Feb 19 @ 1:03 pm
VirtualDJ is my Life 2.0

Posted Fri 15 Feb 19 @ 1:51 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@olivierbergman could you list the (in)accuracy of the others as a %

Posted Fri 15 Feb 19 @ 2:41 pm
Hi,

I have done the same work today with OSX Mojave (OSX core AUDIO) and the only DJ software that is bit perfect without effects and auto gain, max volume, is Virtual DJ 8.3.

So same results with WASAPI(latest WIN10 improved Windows Core Audio ) or CORE AUDIO (OSX MOJAVE) : VIRTUAL DJ winner, the software that respect your original Track Audio quality.

But OSX, is more cool to check AUDIO routing with Audio Hijack (best than Voicemeter), and Audio Hijack only with vu meter and analysis tools, is bit perfect too. :)

Posted Sun 17 Feb 19 @ 2:45 pm
I love Virtual DJ.. Best ever. Whenever a problem occurs, the devs jump right in and attempt to fix the problem.

Posted Mon 18 Feb 19 @ 10:24 pm

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 7:52 pm
Hi,

Another method :

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-test-deltawave-null-comparison-software.6633/

https://deltaw.org/

Virtual DJ, BIT perfect between original file and the recorded file inside VDJ, without effects, without autogain and with PITCH quality 3 in settings :

The proof :

VDJ 100% BITPERFECT :

Rekordbox Export mode: Phase problem / PPM problem / gain problem / and 0.09% BITPERFECT
not better in Performance mode, with several Headroom presets and Autogain disabled :

DENON ENGINE PRIME (PC 1.2.2 /MAC 1.2.3) : not Bit perfect too...

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 11:08 pm
Why is rekordbox phase inverted?

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 11:26 pm
Hi,

Yes, it's very strange : Phase inverted in Rekordbox 5.4.3/5.4.4
I will try again but i had phase inverted in Export mode and Performance mode....and a PPM problem

I will do another check with another file :)

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 8:10 am
Also rekordbox & prime are set at +2dB.

I don't fully understand the test, but if you're going to post, let's compare apples to apples.

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 8:17 am
Hi,

-> Adion : It's not nice( :) ) to close the another post, that was more developped, cleaner about changes an Volume/gain.

locodog wrote :
Also rekordbox & prime are set at +2dB.

I don't fully understand the test, but if you're going to post, let's compare apples to apples.

->No Rekordbox & prime at set to 0dB or default for this test, but internal AUDIO engine of those software change the Gain even with AUTO-GAIN off, or no auto gain option available, or volume Knob available....

So I, copy / past new results (Results at 21/02/2019, may change with future Software updates...)
:
First VDJ 8.3 : BIT PERFECT, and no jitter or clock drift, no internal gain/volume change :

Denon engine prime 1.2.2/1.2.3 : This Software change the gain and volume of the original audio[/B :
The clock drift is good like VDJ

Traktor 3 pro trial : Even at 0dB gain and auto gain on off, and no limiter, the Traktor audio engine, change the Gain/volume (even at 0dB setting in the Software) and the clock drift (6.48 ppm) and phase :

Serato DJ lite (same engine that Serato) : Even at 0dB gain and auto gain on off, and no limiter, the Serato audio engine, change the volume and the clock drift (3.53 ppm) and phase :

Rekordbox Export mode : the software change the original gain/volume and the clock drift (7.94 ppm)and phase (Phase problem) :

Rekordbox Performance mode : The record was made with internal record mode in .wav (lossless) at 16/44.1 same as original, with no auto gain option and no Headroom :
-> the software as aPPM (7.65 ppm) clock problem, big phase problem, and modify the gain of the original audio :

CONCLUSION :

VIRTUAL DJ 8.3 :
DATE : 21/02/2019 -> only Software that respect the gain/volume/ phase/ jitter / clock / bit, of a track, when no effects are applied in Wasapi/ASIO mode or on OSX (default OSX core AUDIO, bit perfect).

And VIRTUALDJ and ENGINE PRIME, have the best Clock drift. (No jitter)

Best AUDIO-engine of the DJ software Market

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 12:06 pm
A precision :
These tests were done with OSX and core audio bit perfect; and the capture software (https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack) also perfect bit to record a wav. Because neither VB HIFI cable nor Voicemeter virtual asio are 100% perfect bit with Windows, but only 25% after analysis. Then the samples (original and recorded with audiohijack) are automatically aligned in the analysis software (Delta Wav - https://deltaw.org/) in a window of 20 or 60 sec to avoid bit shifts between the beginning and the end of the sample between the two lossless .wav at same 16 / 44.1 resolution :) So OSX for the comparative records and WIN10 for the comparison software Delta Wav - https://deltaw.org/.

Otherwise Replay music 8 on Windows 10, with direct APPS recording feature, is another solution because tested BIT perfect; also. On the other hand other software tests with "Wasapi loopback" like Audacity, are not perfect BIT. (after analysis with Delta Wav).

But the best for the perfect BIT in Shared mode and exclusive mode is the MacOSX Core Audio with audiohijack (https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack). More flexible and less complicated than Wasapi / ASIO .......

Posted Sat 23 Feb 19 @ 6:15 am
Interesting

Posted Sat 23 Feb 19 @ 1:49 pm
Hi,

More tests : (with new https://deltaw.org/, software that compare 2 wav with auto sample alignement)

Original file : 60s - 16/44.1

OSX :

Core Audio OSX shared mode or exclusive : 100% BIT PERFECT
Audio HI JACK : BIT PERFECT in 32 bits or 16 bits recording (https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/)
Loopback virtual cable : BIT PERFECT (https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/)

System player audio : Bit perfect
Virtual DJ 8.3 OSX (Without effect - gain 0dB - autogain off) + AUDIO HI JACK recording :
BIT PERFECT no jitter

Virtual DJ 8.3 OSX (Without effect - gain 0dB - autogain off) + Loopback virtualcable + Audacity :
BIT PERFECT no jitter / with Audacity 32/24 bits recording of 16bits original file.

Rekordbox 5.4.3 OSX (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) + AUDIO HI JACK recording or Loopback virtualcable + Audacity :
No BIT perfect / Clock jitter problem/ phase- problem/volume change problem

Serato lite 1.1 OSX (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) + AUDIO HI JACK recording or Loopback virtualcable + Audacity :

Traktor 3.1 OSX (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) + AUDIO HI JACK recording or Loopback virtualcable + Audacity :
No BIT perfect / Clock jitter problem/ phase problem/volume change problem

Engine 1.2.3 OSX (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) + AUDIO HI JACK recording or Loopback virtualcable + Audacity :
No BIT perfect / phase problem/volume change problem - clock ok

DJAY PRO 2 OSX (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) + AUDIO HI JACK recording or Loopback virtualcable + Audacity :
No BIT perfect / phase problem/volume change problem -

WIN 10 :

WIN10 : 99.8% BIT PERFECT with shared mode Wasapi
Voicemeter Virtual ASIO or Wasapi : 99% BIT PERFECT with Voicemeter Banana recording in 32/24 bits of a 16 bits Files. The 16 bits recording isn't bit perfect
(https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm)

"Windows Wasapi loopback" with audacity : not perfect - gain and phase problems (The windows Wasapi loopback isn't BIT perfect)

Foobar WIN10 (Without effect - gain 0dB - no replay gain ) + Voicemeter Bana recording virtual ASIO : 99.8 BIT PERFECT no jitter

Virtual DJ 8.3 WIN10 (Without effect - gain 0dB - autogain off) + Voicemeter Bana recording virtual ASIO : 99.8 BIT PERFECT no jitter
Virtual DJ 8.3 WIN10 (Without effect - gain 0dB - autogain off) + Voicemeter virtual asio or Virtual Wasapi + Audacity recording 32/24 bits:
99.8% BIT PERFECT no jitter / with Audacity 32/24 bits recording of 16bits original file.

Rekordbox 5.4.3 Win 10 (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) internal recording at any levels or with Voicemeter virtual asio or Virtual Wasapi + Audacity recording 32/24 bits :

Serato lite 1.1 Win 10 (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) internal recording at any levels or with Voicemeter virtual asio or Virtual Wasapi + Audacity recording 32/24 bits :

Traktor 3.1 Win 10 (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) internal recording at any levels or with Voicemeter virtual asio or Virtual Wasapi + Audacity recording 32/24 bits :
No BIT perfect / Clock jitter problem/ phase problem/volume change problem

Engine 1.2.2 Win 10 (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) i with Voicemeter virtual asio or Virtual Wasapi + Audacity recording 32/24 bits :
No BIT perfect / phase problem/volume change problem - clock ok

DJAY PRO WIN10 (Without effect - gain 0 dB - autogain off) Voicemeter virtual asio or Virtual Wasapi + Audacity recording 32/24 bits :
No BIT perfect / phase problem/volume change problem

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 12:30 pm

Selected as best answer Posted Sun 10 Mar 19 @ 7:50 am
mr.ZvooK wrote :

loved their official response and most not even that interesting and, as always, for pioneer simply close they disliked the subject

Yes, they close the subject. I was ready to help Pioneer to fix and improve audio issues. And no answer from private support... (ticket open)

Rekordbox works at best with :
Internal mode : -6dB of Headroom if the master volume KNOB is at MAXIMUM
External mode : +6db Headroom if the master volume KNOB is at MAXIMUM
But still PHASE changes problems with Audio engine.

It would not difficult to fix that, seems to Rekordbox is developped with JUCE :
https://juce.com/discover

Posted Sun 17 Mar 19 @ 8:51 am
olivierbergman wrote :
mr.ZvooK wrote :

loved their official response and most not even that interesting and, as always, for pioneer simply close they disliked the subject

Yes, they close the subject. I was ready to help Pioneer to fix and improve audio issues. And no answer from private support... (ticket open)

Rekordbox works at best with :
Internal mode : -6dB of Headroom if the master volume KNOB is at MAXIMUM
External mode : +6db Headroom if the master volume KNOB is at MAXIMUM
But still PHASE changes problems with Audio engine.

It would not difficult to fix that, seems to Rekordbox is developped with JUCE :
https://juce.com/discover

Hi, do you have the discussion with "special support" from Pioneer ?

Posted Wed 20 May 20 @ 6:16 pm
80%