Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best way to manage music in backup pc - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Then we got TearEmUp and freppa hi-jacking the thread, and turning it into a battle over internal v external hdd.
If their advice was based on wisdom I would not object.
I do not want to see people using inferior systems because of these guys.

Why be dependent on two hdd, and a fragile connection, when one installed safely in your laptop will suffice?

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 12:30 pm
Mobility of library between multiple systems is one reason for external HDD.
Please realize, there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are valid reasons for both internal and external libraries. Those reasons have been given already in this thread.
There does not have to be a "100%, one and only, this is the absolute best way" to every debate. There are pros and cons, give and take to solutions. Understand the differences, weigh them out, see how it works for your situation.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 12:35 pm
"Mobility of library between multiple systems is one reason for external HDD."

That's about the only reason for adopting an external hdd.
I gave a whole list of reasons to use internal hdd.
Do you need me to repeat those arguments?

External is inferior, it reduces reliability, and performance, whilst it increases cost.
Please realize you're encouraging bad practice amongst technically inexperienced dj's.

Why be dependent on two hdd, and a fragile connection, when one installed safely in your laptop will suffice?

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 12:43 pm
No one is debating the relevance of your points. It is you that has a problem accepting anyone else's point of view or opinion or experience with their choice of gear.
You know man, not all of us are as cool and put-together as you bigron, cut us a lil slack.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 1:08 pm
"No one is debating the relevance of your points. It is you that has a problem accepting anyone else's point of view or opinion or experience with their choice of gear.
You know man, not all of us are as cool and put-together as you bigron, cut us a lil slack."

That is not an argument.

I'm worried about people who may be encouraged to use an inferior system because of this thread.
I don't care about you guys, you can do what you want, I'm only interested in helping those who wish to learn.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 1:17 pm
MrJackson I know what I'm going to say is obvious, anyway disconnect the two data drives. Run just the windows drive, backup the vdj folder in My Documents, completely uninstall vdj including its settings, reboot, and then reinstall VDJ. It should install normally, and not using compatibility mode. If it then runs correctly connect a data drive, try again, and if it still runs install the final drive. If at the end of this vdj is still running we can contemplate the database.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 1:39 pm
Thank you Ron.
It appears to work, the database files and folders are all there.
The "only" thing is that VDJ with latest build won't start on this laptop If I don't check "compability mode" windows 7.
On my main PC, everything works normally.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 2:01 pm
I hate that compatibility mode thing, it may mean something is wrong.
Will other versions of vdj install normally (no compatibility mode) ?

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 2:07 pm
My main PC is not a laptop, it's a small HTPC with ITX motherboard.
It's quite heavy duty. The SSD discs are superior!
I had this Sony Vaio laptop "over" and thought just to use it like some kind of backup.
I will dig deeper into this when time permits.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 2:21 pm
Yes SSD are fast, and durable, though expensive, and limited in size the last time I looked.
It really should not be much of a problem to set the Sony Via up as a backup.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 2:32 pm
bigron1 I know the facts about internal / external hard drive
there is some good reasons to use external hdd
benefits of using an external hdd

Theft :

External are more vulnerable to theft ?50/50%, while you playing somebody can take it, it's true !
but you can always take it with you ! in the house you always can hide it better so the tiffs can not still your data, they usually would just take your laptop ..
which is good point they do not take your data !
On external hdd you save your vdj database in case of theft , if this happen you just buy new machine and you are ready to go straight away,no hassle and you got your machine backed up running in a seconds and it's all good !
good point with external hdd you can perform on any laptop with cues,loop's and ready organized music .
the best thing to have reliable machine is to buy internal solid state drive because they are less likely to fail which gives you very stable and confident performance ,so you can use on any pc's straight away that is a good point .
internal are good to, maybe a bit faster than external ,but they are bad if the hdd dies out in the middle of the night,or theft , that's the one of the reason's I'm moving to external hdd...
the second reason is : I have installed solid state drive on it, pc works flawlessly with operating system and vdj on it .
my opinion is :one solid state internal hdd and 2 external hdd for your data and you are safe !
in this way it's easy to recovery hole system when ever you need it ,after fresh installation,connect external hdd and you are ready to go ....

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 3:03 pm
"External are more vulnerable to theft ?50/50%, while you playing somebody can take it, it's true !
but you can always take it with you ! in the house you always can hide it better so the tiffs can not still your data, they usually would just take your laptop .."

A external solution demands two drives. If a two drive internal solution is used then one is installed in your laptop whilst the other clone is hidden away in your home. An internal two disk solution with one stored away for safety is vastly superior.

"good point with external hdd you can perform on any laptop with cues,loop's and ready organized music ."

The cloned second disk in a internal two disk solution when stored in a usb hdd case will do the same.

"the best thing to have reliable machine is to buy internal solid state drive because they are less likely to fail which gives you very stable and confident performance ,so you can use on any pc's straight away that is a good point .
internal are good to, maybe a bit faster than external ,but they are bad if the hdd dies out in the middle of the night,or theft , that's the one of the reason's I'm moving to external hdd..."

I've never had a hdd fail while I was working. How can ssd improve on a 100% record.

"the second reason is : I have installed solid state drive on it, pc works flawlessly with operating system and vdj on it .
my opinion is :one solid state internal hdd and 2 external hdd for your data and you are safe !"

A three disk solution
..and then your cpu fails!

I'm not impressed with your argument.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 3:46 pm
Hi bigron1 this is not argument between me and you and what is better ? I don't wanna that, this is in my opinion this is how I think man ! watch this video, just have this in mind! Calvin Harris set
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwnDkzNajJA

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 3:53 pm
This is a discussion about best practice.
We have moved off topic, I have forgot all about Mr Jacksons problem.
However this is a very, very important topic.
I suppose everyone should get involved, and debate this issue.
If they do it should be in a new thread.

Few (none?) of the best qualified people in this forum have expressed their opinions.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 4:18 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
MrJackson2014 wrote :
Thank you, that would be nice. If I have not got it up until then.
I have not had such problems before with VDJ, but sometimes when launching VDJ, it does not start.
I also got "crashguard error" a few times.
I deleted "settings.xml" with no difference.

My weekend turned into all week being busy...
Then I hurt myself yesterday doing a bunch of conrete work.
It always surprises me when you hurt a muscle, how many activities that muscle gets used for.

Have you gotten VDJ to run smoothly yet?

Posted Fri 26 Jun 15 @ 6:01 pm
Thanks.
I have got the database to work. So I am happy! :)

Posted Sat 27 Jun 15 @ 12:20 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
MrJackson2014 wrote :
Thanks.
I have got the database to work. So I am happy! :)

Leave you worked out a regular backup solution?

Posted Sat 27 Jun 15 @ 1:01 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I use dropbox to keep my music in sync across computers!

Posted Tue 30 Jun 15 @ 1:47 pm
If you have home networking, or a router in your house, this is what i use for syncing my desktop with my dj laptop so if i change something on either it duplicates the change on the other. My desktop is where i gather and organize my library with mediamonkey my laptop is my dj rig. I use a tool called free file sync(opensource) network both together thru my timewarner wireless modem router. I have them connected with lan cables to the router. And FFS configured to both music folders so when something is changed or added to either library it updates the other...is this what you looking for

Posted Tue 30 Jun 15 @ 9:46 pm
I'm using the mobile version of FreeFileSync which is running from an external USB HDD (my old 320Gb laptop drive).
I have archived my songs on this drive.
This avoids adding entries into the Windows registry.
I'm still allergic to the Internet, and have a fully functional laptop which has never been connected as my main backup device.
My working laptop is an Internet connected device.

I forgot that I used to use FreeFileSync since my laptop has had so few issues.
Now I have connected my working laptop to the Internet I feel comprehensive backups may be needed.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-folder-synchronization-utility.htm
Pay attention to the reviews, and comments.
Do not permit adware to be installed on your computer.
I'm not really a Windows sort of person, but when I was I use to regard Gizmo's Freeware along with Softpedia as good sites.
I might be old fashioned nowadays.

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 12:20 pm
86%