Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best way to manage music in backup pc - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
How about running the vdj executable in the backup windows partition, and select repair?
I can understand it not locating a database, but not running is something else.
Make sure vdj has Internet access.
You're only allowed two copies of vdj 8 ?

So you have two data partitions?
That should not be a problem.

Posted Fri 19 Jun 15 @ 7:16 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
MrJackson2014 wrote :
I have a hard time getting this backup file system to run.

I will be busy over the weekend. If you like, we can go into more detail about your system and get your backup working next week.

Posted Fri 19 Jun 15 @ 11:09 am
Thank you, that would be nice. If I have not got it up until then.
I have not had such problems before with VDJ, but sometimes when launching VDJ, it does not start.
I also got "crashguard error" a few times.
I deleted "settings.xml" with no difference.

Posted Fri 19 Jun 15 @ 5:58 pm
I made a new clean install of VDJ 8 build 2325.
It was not able to start just showing:

Perhaps I should put this up in the bug-report forum instead.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 15 @ 5:55 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Why anyone isn't using external drives for music/video is beyond me. You can get them very inexpensively, keep multiple drives as back up, always take just a drive with you if another DJ is using VDJ and, all your hot cues will be intact. They have the added benefit of allowing the PC to have more disc space to operate with. External is the best way to go, from my experience.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 15 @ 9:53 am
TearEmUp wrote :
Why anyone isn't using external drives for music/video is beyond me. You can get them very inexpensively, keep multiple drives as back up, always take just a drive with you if another DJ is using VDJ and, all your hot cues will be intact. They have the added benefit of allowing the PC to have more disc space to operate with. External is the best way to go, from my experience.

I use an internal drive for a few reasons. Speed, easy of setup, less cables. I like to be able to open up my laptop while sitting on the couch and add music or edit playlists. I can sit there with a laptop pad or go sit on my deck, with no cables.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 15 @ 11:46 am
MrJackson2014 wrote :
I made a new clean install of VDJ 8 build 2325.
It was not able to start just showing:

Perhaps I should put this up in the bug-report forum instead.

This sound like it is more specific to your PC instead of the build itself. Maybe start a thread in the PC section describing your crashes.

Posted Sat 20 Jun 15 @ 12:02 pm
Hi To All !
I no longer wanna use internal hard drive on my laptop for my music library, so I am moving the entire library off of my computer and onto an external hard drive.
How do I move my library to an external hard drive without losing all my saved cue points, loops, etc?folder history,playlist etc.. Also, without reanalyzing all of my tracks?
If is this even possible to do or I have start from the beginning ?
I know that from an external hard drive to another hard drive it is possible when the same drive letter is !
But from internal to external ?
is this possible anybody knows ?

Posted Sun 21 Jun 15 @ 6:24 pm
@nicholas123
move the files from within vdj and all with move with them

Posted Sun 21 Jun 15 @ 6:34 pm
External storage has a performance penalty if you are not using a fast connection like eSATA, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.
You can accidentally drop, and break it, or unplug it, and corrupt the data.
USB connections are subject to wear, and will fail before the fixed internal SATA connections.
An external HDD is extremly vunerable to theft, and is also just another small item which can be mislayed.

Internal HDD are cheaper!

I can understand those who find computer managment difficult recommending the external solution.

(I've just fitted a1000Gb SATA hdd to my laptop, I doubt it will ever be more than half full.
It cost £43.)

Posted Sun 21 Jun 15 @ 7:38 pm
Mr Jackson It is unclear that VDJ 8 can deal with the databases. Remove the databases to a safe place, and then try to start VDJ.
I would expect one database to be able to describe múltiple locations.
The above is unlikely if you have a complete fresh install of VDJ.
Did you move the old VDJ folder from My Documents to a safe place?
That's where a problem might be located.

Other than the above a corrupt windows partition is possible.
It's highly unlikey that VDJ is at fault.

Posted Sun 21 Jun 15 @ 8:41 pm
Actually VDJ send a crash report to Atomix.
Something went wrong inside VDJ application.
This is now put under bugs instead.
Regarding the database, it all now seems to work in that aspect :)

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 3:51 am
Crash guard always sends a report to Atomix. That is how it was designed. It is most unlikely VDJ is at fault.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 5:20 am
If you're stuck there is a VDJ tool which may clear the windows registry of any corrupted Atomix entries enabling a fresh start. It appears getting VDJ to run is your first task. Also you might not have the latest version of VDJ 8.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 6:08 am
I have the latest beta and I was forced to change compability settings to make it run. Don't ask me why. :)

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 7:14 am
What operating system are you using?
Try an older version of vdj, you should not need compatibility settings.

Given your partition structure you can format, and replace the windows partition in a couple of hours.

Why not just use two partitions?

When I get into a mess like you're in I start from scratch, and simplify where possible. I then expect the computer to be running a small number of hours later.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 8:05 am
Windows 7 professional.
On my main PC I have 3 partitions due to the fact that I have 3 different physical SSD disks for reliability reasons.
That means I must have the same file structure on my backup pc.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 11:08 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
TearEmUp wrote :

I just tried to explain that ;-)

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 11:39 am
freppa you gave very few effective reasons to use external. I gave reasons against, I repeat.

"External storage has a performance penalty if you are not using a fast connection like eSATA, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.
You can accidentally drop, and break it, or unplug it, and corrupt the data.
USB connections are subject to wear, and will fail before the fixed internal SATA connections.
An external HDD is extremely vulnerable to theft, and is also just another small item which can be mislaid.
Internal HDD are cheaper!"

On top of the above the normal usb hdd drives drain power from the usb system making the connection to your controller less reliable.
I already need to use a second usb controller for my sampler sub controller.
USB is a critical system, and it is not wise to overload.

To sum up external hdd are inferior, and more expensive.
Besides all else, why be dependent on two hdd, and a fragile connection, when one installed safely in your laptop will suffice?

You lead users away from good practice, and make their systems more vulnerable to error.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 12:10 pm
Can you please produce a logical argument to support the use of external hdd?

Don't just say "in my experience it's best"
That is not a argument.

Posted Mon 22 Jun 15 @ 12:23 pm
57%