Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best way to manage music in backup pc - Page: 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
bigron1 wrote :
Few (none?) of the best qualified people in this forum have expressed their opinions.

Thanks ;-)

Posted Wed 08 Jul 15 @ 11:47 am
HipstaControlleristMember since 2015
If you break down your music into files you actually use, versus all the stuff you carry around and never use, there's no reason you can't fit it all on a good internal drive of a couple of terabytes.

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 6:48 pm
But I have no idea about it...

Posted Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 11:27 pm
freppa wrote :
bigron1 wrote :
Few (none?) of the best qualified people in this forum have expressed their opinions.

Thanks ;-)

Because once you say MediaMonkey there's no more to say.

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 1:02 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Hmmm, I never said anything about mediamonkey, maybe Its my bad vocabularity in english but I dont get it ?

I was only pushing for using external drives for easiest way to backup etc..

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 2:48 am

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 8:12 am
freppa wrote :
Hmmm, I never said anything about mediamonkey, maybe Its my bad vocabularity in english but I dont get it ?

I think it was not in a negative way. He's using mediamonkey appearently. And nothing wrong with your English vocabularity, Freppa! :)

Posted Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 8:32 am
As a mobile DJ myself, I have recently tried the external hdd route. I have my core collection (about 1000 tracks) organised on my laptop in folders for easy navigation, and around 6000 tracks + karaoke on my external hdd. While this system works well in theory, I have since abandoned that practice. Mainly due to many of the reasons above such as it's so easy to drop and break an ext hdd, it could easily be stolen, it takes longer for me to set up - only by a few minutes - as I boot the laptop, connect the drive, wait for it to be located, hope it works.

I like to keep things simple so less can go wrong, not more. It's all back on my ssd in my laptop now in a separate folder which I never open but is fully analysed and searchable. It's much less of a worry, and my hdd is used purely as a full backup. SSD's have never been so affordable. Traditional HDD are not designed to be moved about all of the time, take the vibration from the music and the general hard life a DJ laptop endures. Forget those fragile HDD, internal or external and invest in an SSD for trouble free , hassle free and worry free DJ'ing. I just boot up, which seems like instantly compared to the old hdd, and in seconds I'm ready to go.

If anyone finds this of any use, I also have a USB stick with my core collection on it ready to go, a netbook which in an emergency would get me through, and everything backed up on my phone where in a worst case scenario can get by with using a different software. I also carry just about every adapter in case my MC6000 lets me down, enabling me to go from my phone to my powered speakers directly.

Back on topic to answer the OP, I simply copied all of my music to my backup netbook, and replaced the VDJ folders with the one from my main laptop. That just worked.

Posted Sun 19 Jul 15 @ 6:24 am
freppa wrote :

I was basically saying Mediamonkey is the answer, theres no more to be said. And i will add FreeFileSync is the answer to backing up. If i add a song to my library on my desktop(which i consider my backup) its automatically added to laptop, if my laptop isnt on the network as soon as i connect it it syncs up. I aslo have some VDJ folders synced also, so if i download a plugin its added to my plugins folder on my laptop.

Posted Mon 20 Jul 15 @ 2:24 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
A lot of people seem to like Freefilesync.
We could do with a stuck thread listing recommended software for a DJ, maybe split into two sections paid, and freeware.
Is there one?
A lot of stuff is contained in this forum.

Posted Mon 20 Jul 15 @ 12:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)