Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Using Ableton WITH VDJ - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I know that you can record your mix in VDJ using that Record Tab and settings...

What I was in reference to was you the built in VDJ Samplers.... When you set a loop in VDJ and the apply effects to that loop, and then record that loop by pressing record on the VDJ Sampler and play that loop back, they recorded loop plays, but without the effect you applied
By using Ableton and the Record Sample column in my .als file for ableton, you can set a loop in VDJ, apply effects to that loop in VDJ and or Ableton an then use the record column I set up in Ableton to record that loop and then play it back, you now have a sampler that records effects applied to it and basically a third deck and fourth deck

:P

Posted Mon 08 Feb 10 @ 11:48 am
I'm making a part 2 video to show you what I mean by using Ableton as a Sampler with effects... :)

Posted Mon 08 Feb 10 @ 2:29 pm

Posted Mon 08 Feb 10 @ 9:32 pm
Seems like a cool idea but why not just use ableton? Can you explain your reasoning of why this is beneficial?

Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 4:09 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Well you can use all the features of VDJ - including scratching, VDJs superior browser, video and so on. You can then route that into a deck on Ableton. You can then MIDI sync the two, so that triggering loops and clips in Ableton will have them synced with VDJ effectively giving you a lot more creative possibilities. It's been do-able for quite some time; I managed it back on v5 :)

Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 6:01 am
Yes, I agree with the post above... Two Programs working hand in hand equals twice the possibilities, twice the effects, twice the features and twice the fun! Along with better sound, and now plugins are endless, as VDJ doesnt support the use of VSTi, and ableton does...

A little more to keep up with, but worth it once you get the hang of it

Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 9:53 am
Haha I guess I'm just more of a hardware oriented guy. :]

Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 3:30 pm
Curious about how to get this JACK program working also, next thing is how can we sync the 2 programs together

Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 @ 4:23 pm
Curious about how to get this JACK program working also, next thing is how can we sync the 2 programs together

im still working on trying to figure JACK out, but as for the sync'ing are you talking about BPM or MIDI Controller?

if its BPM, I havn't figured out a way for VDJ to send the BPM Clock to Ableton, or for Ableton to receive a Ext. BPM Source from my console.

if its MIDI Controller, you need to install the MIDI Yoke Junction, and MIDI-OX to be able to use one MIDI controller in VDJ and Ableton at the same time

Posted Wed 10 Feb 10 @ 12:18 am
natedawg24 wrote :

I'll post up some information on it later; it's actually very easy to do. Syncing the 2 programs can be done via MIDI_CLOCK. When I tested it previously I used my own MIDI clock plugin which is not compatible with v6 at this time. v6 does have the MIDI_CLOCK mapper function but I haven't had any success with it yet personally. I'm just awaiting some more information on it :)

Posted Wed 10 Feb 10 @ 4:22 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just one stupid question... does it work in conjunction with some controller like VCI-300?

Is it possible to control VDJ from vci-300 as usually AND trigget ableton functions (effects,samples etc) from some vci-300 buttons or from keyboard?

Posted Wed 10 Feb 10 @ 6:15 am
to the above post:

yes, you need to install MIDI Yoke Junction and MIDI-OX to be able to use one MIDI Controller that send data to both VDJ and Ableton simultainiously

Posted Wed 10 Feb 10 @ 1:30 pm
yea it's the MIDI clock I've tried to mess with also the idea I did have was to somehow create a definition for midi yoke to send the midi clock into ableton but didn't have any luck.

Posted Thu 11 Feb 10 @ 9:13 am
I'm trying to figure out that myself....

or I'm trying to find a program that CAPTURE audio from a chosen source, and analyze the BPM and send it to Ableton

I had a program that analyzed BPM from any source (including Line-IN and VAC Line-INs, as well as streams) and was pretty accurate, but I no longer have it and cant remember what it was called, and I dont remember if it had a clock feature...

Most of the BPM programs that I am find dont CAPTURE the audio to measure the beats per minute, you have to load each mp3 into the program and then it TAGS the id3's with the BPM info... What I'm looking for is one that captures the audio that is PLAYING and then calculates it to BPM....

If there is way to get this done, I WILL figure it out ;P

Posted Thu 11 Feb 10 @ 11:11 am
Hi there,

I've been following this topic for a while and its been very interesting.
Unfortunately I also can't get "Jack" to stream audio from ableton to my sound card (Gigaport AG) so have resorted to the VAC solution which is not as stable as hoped for me. But I am using a BPM to MIDI VST plugin from DjDecks with great success (5 EUROS !!!). I use midi-yoke to feed a midi clock to ableton and the results are accurate.

Pete

Posted Thu 11 Feb 10 @ 10:19 pm
I'll post up a JACK HOWTO later, it's actually remarkably easy and flexible once you understand it. The trick is in the patchbay :)

Posted Fri 12 Feb 10 @ 5:22 am
that would be awesome man! looking forward to reading it

Posted Fri 12 Feb 10 @ 8:06 pm
Great thread. Good info guys. I have been looking for a way to run through ableton since i got VDJ as I have been using ableton for years and am a recent VDJ user. Just wanted to say thanks!

Posted Sat 13 Feb 10 @ 2:50 pm
Well i've just finished a 5 hour set with the VDJ/Ableton combination and everything went well. No sound drop outs, all quite dull really. The BPM 2 MIDI vst plugin (from djdecks) worked well when placed before the fx in ableton. It kept a good lock for all but the trickiest Indie stuff. It was good enough to allow for beat perfect loops in the Ableton sampler. Having really good eq's is great. Now I just have to get a slightly better latency and it'll be perfect.

PS. The behringer BCD2000 midi driver will allow multiple connections and so I don't need Midi-yoke.

Pete

Posted Sat 13 Feb 10 @ 10:07 pm
I checked out that BPM 2 MIDI plugin.... Loaded it in the MASTER OUTPUT Column in Ableton and it works nicely!!! That takes care of the MIDI CLOCK ....Thanks for that post!

And yeah, the EQ in Ableton are really nice to have, along with some of the builtin effects and loads of available VST's and VSTi's

Guess we are just waiting on SBDJ to give us a How-To on the JACK program

Posted Sun 14 Feb 10 @ 12:23 am
61%