Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Using Ableton WITH VDJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I have successfully routed all audio from VDJ into Ableton using Virtual Audio Cable

My Setup basically is VDJ are my decks A & B, and ableton is my mixer
this allows me to use the effects built in to both VDJ and Ableton at the same time and different effects for each deck
more or less, smart mixing...

if anyone is interested in how to set this up on your computer, let me know and I will post instructions and/or a youtube tutorial

Posted Sat 06 Feb 10 @ 11:17 pm
ummm.. tre cool!

Posted Sat 06 Feb 10 @ 11:21 pm
I'm uploading a youtube video to give you a better idea of what I have accomplished.. :)
I'll post the link soon!

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 1:16 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I wanna see it..

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 1:50 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Jack is an easy and free way of doing this. You simply select JackRouter as the ASIO output for VDJ and input for ableton. You then use the patch config panel to plug VDJ into Ableton and Ableton into your outputs. Piece of cake :)

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 6:23 am
dydy1PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Can that be done with the mac version too?

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 9:24 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Wow, I was thinking of doing this with my ableton program, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Can you Please send me a pm on what are the steps involved or post them here, I'd like to get this started.

Thank you

Joey.....

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 11:05 am
Yes I am uploading a youtube video, tried to last night, but it didnt upload....

After the Vid uploads, I will post text instructions

Yes this can be done on a mac... but you will Jack OS X instead of Virtual Audio Cable

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 11:54 am
Having trouble uploading the video to youtube... gonna keep trying so you can get a visual...

but here are the instructions

Instructions for PC:

Purchase Virtual DJ, Ableton Live, Virtual Audio Cable, and a MIDI Controller
Download the Ableton .als Mixer file @ http://www.teknikalcrysis.com/Mixer.als
Download MIDI-OX @ http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm
Download the MIDI Yoke Junction @ http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm#Download
Download ASIO4all @ www.asio4all.com
Install Virtual Audio Cable, MIDI Yoke Junction, MIDI-OX, and ASIO4all

After Installations, Open MIDI-OX FIRST, then VDJ, then Ableton with the provided .als file ....MIDI-OX HAS TO BE OPEN FIRST!

Once in Virtual DJ, open settings and go to Sound Setup - Set your SoundCard to Mono-Separated and select Line1 Virtual Audio Cable

Set Output to EXTERNAL MIXER - Left deck=Left Chan/Right Deck= Right Chan

then go to Mappings in Virtual DJ, Delete the MASTER VOLUME Fader and the CROSSFADER mappings for your MIDI Controller
as you will want the master volume in VDJ to be all the way up, all the time...and the crossfader centered all the time
(You will be controlling the Master Volume and Crossfader inside Ableton)

Once this is Complete, Exit VDJ Settings and goto Ableton Setting and Preferences...

When you get there, goto Ableton's Audio Settings and select ASIO in the first box, ASIO4all v2 in the second box
then click INPUT CONFIG and make sure that "1 mono & 2 mono" and "1/2 Stereo" are enabled (Color Yellow is Enabled)
then click OUTPUT Config and make sure that "1/2 Stereo" and "3/4 Stereo" are enabled (this may differ if you are using a different midi controller than the RMX)

Once you've done this, open ASIO4all settings windows and click advanced setting button (bottom right)
the ONLY things you want selected are VIRTUAL AUDIO CABLE - LINE 1 - IN ONLY (Don't select the OUT)
then select your master out (In my case I have selected the Hercules RMX Console with both the IN & Out Selected)

Now close the ASIO4all Setting Window, got back to Ableton settings and goto MIDI Tab
at the top of the settings window for the INPUT - select "MIDI Yoke 1" and OUTPUT - select "Hercules RMX Console" (or what ever MIDI Controller you are using)

Then under than down to MIDI Ports - for "In from MIDI Yoke 1" select all three options (Track, Sync, and Remote)

Exit Ableton Settings

Now Press Ctrl+M in ableton and Map Your MASTER VOLUME SLIDER on your console to the Master Volume in Ableton, and do the same for you crossfader

Also while in the mappings you need to map you headphone cue select .. the correct headphone out is CueA and CueB in the mixer.als file

so map deck a cue button on your console to the headphone button in the CueA Column and the same for deck b cue button, map it to the CueB Column

Now exit you mappings by pressing ctrl+m again

now everything should work, tryin playing something in VDJ and see if you get sound, try your headphone cue select buttons and make sure those are working for the correct deck, and check the master volume and crossfader sliders

now as and settings addition you can go back into VDJ Mappings and Delete the Mappings for your GAINS and BALANCE
as this will give you three knobs
go back into ableton mappings and select SC A
Map Your LEFT GAIN to the SMART LOW of the 2 Band Smart Compressor, the BALANCE knob to the FREQ SPLITTER, and RIGHT GAIN to the SMART HIGH

You will need to repeat this for the Cue A, SC B, and Cue B Columns (so these three knobs control the same three settings in 4 different columns at the same time)

when this is complete you need to press ctrl+k to enter KEYBOARD MAPPING and map a button to turn on/off you LOW and HIGH side of the 2 Band Smart Compressor - again this needs to be repeated for columns SC A, Cue A, SC B, Cue B
so that the on/off is control in all 4 columns at the same time

you now have a smart mixer setup, congrats!
(for some pictures, check out http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/06/01/smart-mixing-setup-for-ableton/)

This idea was original for Traktor and Ableton, I just figured out how to do it in VDJ
so dont download the .als File provided on the djtechtools website listed above as that mixer file is for traktor not VDJ

FOR MAC USERS you will need Jack OSX in place of Virtual Audio Cable, and a believe its called s n o i z e in place of MIDI-OX

youtube video coming soon...

Hope you enjoy! As I know you brain is now rambling off with all kinds of new creative ideas!!!!

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 5:14 pm
As I said above though, you can use Jack (which is free) on Windows rather than VAC :)

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 7:25 pm
where do i find Jack? i could only find it related searches for Mac, Im a PC User

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 7:32 pm
Nevermind I found it, Jackaudio.org

Didnt know there was a freeware solution... good looking out and thanks a million

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 7:35 pm
The binaries are in the bin/windows folder in the archive. Make sure you download the tgz one listed under the windows link; the bz2 one is source only.

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 7:39 pm
wow jackaudio seems a little more complicated than VAC

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 8:17 pm
It's designed to be flexible ;)

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 8:26 pm
I actually cant get JackAudio to work like I have VAC Setup....

Not Exactly sure what my settings should be

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 9:21 pm
SBDJ wrote :
It's designed to be flexible ;)

Maybe you can post the steps needed in the setting for PC use.

Would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Joey....

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 9:35 pm
Yes, I like this freeware alternative to VAC, but using it and getting the result I'm getting with VAC is a bit complicated...

I would also like a few setup steps, such as the VDJ sound setup options, and ableton settings

as I can import the sound from VDJ to Ableton using JackAudio, but I can't seem to get the Headphone Cue to work properly with the correct outputs on the RMX, so for now I'm stuck using VAC

Posted Sun 07 Feb 10 @ 9:58 pm

Posted Mon 08 Feb 10 @ 12:34 am
Thanks teknikalcrysis

Excellent job, they say when theirs a will theirs a way and you proved it.

One thing though, you can record your mix with effects within VDJ in Version 5.2.1, I haven't tried it in 6.5 yet.

If you have the written instructions avaiIable I would appreciate a copy.

Thank You

Joey....

Posted Mon 08 Feb 10 @ 6:39 am
30%